How would you spend Tokyo Disney Resort's $5 billion?

mahnamahna101

Original Poster
Over the next ten years, OLC has announced they will spend $5 billion - most of which is likely to go to the parks themselves?

Tokyo DisneyLand -

Fantasyland enhancements ($105 million)
  1. Snow White's Adventures is replaced with a Tangled dark ride - $50 million
  2. ToonTown is bulldozed for a Fantasyland Forest expansion - $5 million ($45 million)
  3. Mickey's Philharmagic gets an update - $20 million ($75 million)
  4. Updates for all Fantasyland dark rides - $30 million ($105 million)
Fantasyland Forest ($260 million) - $365 million

1. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train clone - $75 million ($175 million) - 38" height requirement
  2. E-ticket Giants dark ride replaces Roger Rabbit, potentially using a motion base or KUKA arms- $135 million ($305 million) - 40" height requirement
  3. Cheshire Cat replaces Gadget's Go Coaster (with better theming) - $15 million ($320 million)
  4. The Tea Cups move to the new Wonderland mini-area, Alice labyrinth and miscellaneous additions - $35 million ($365 million)
Raceway area ($225 million) - $590 million

1. Speedway is demoed, cleared and prepped - $5 million ($370 million)
  2. Wreck-it Ralph E-ticket is brought in its place - with the Fantasyland half themed to Sugar Rush (tamer speeds and a 34" height requirement), and the Tomorrowland side themed to Hero's Duty (RSR speeds and a 40" height requirement). Both will incorporate high interactivty, AAs, elaborate sets and a fulfilling ride experience - $220 million ($590 million)
Tomorrowland enhancements ($410 million) - $1 billion

1. Buzz, Captain EO Theater and One Man's Dream II are demoed for an expansive Sci-Fi City rebranding of Tomorrowland - $10 million ($600 million)
  2. Flying Saucers are added, enclosed and featuring projections, fog and other immersive techniques - $30 million ($630 million)
  3. In Buzz Lightyear's place, a leisurely WALL-E dark ride with increased capacity has been added, giving guests a tour of the new Axiom - $55 million ($680 million)
  4. In the Captain EO area, a new original space adventure show is added - $55 million ($735 million)
  5. Star Jets are upgraded so that the saucers submerge from a crater. Sci-fi music plays throughout. At night, the vehicles shoot lasers at each other while the center of the spinner flashs on and off. - $15 million ($750 million)
  6. A TRON Lightcycle E-ticket that encircles all of Tomorrowland, including brief show scenes in the Grid, fully enclosed to give Tomorrowland a neon/steampunk feel at all times without other areas of the park intruding - $125 million ($875 million) 48" height requirement
  7. Space Mountain is given an Alien/UFO overlay as an expedition to mine on Mars goes awry. A brand new soundtrack, an AA, projection effects, full scale planets, SFX, and a launch to start off the flight with a couple inversions along the way and a finale that involves zero G simulation like Mission: SPACE - $125 million ($1 billion) 54" height requirement
Adventureland
  1. Jungle Cruise gets expanded outside the berm, with enhancements and King Louie's temple - $50 million ($1.05 billion)
  2. A Kilimanjaro Safari-style attraction themed to Jungle Book interlocks with Jungle Cruise at various points - $75 million ($1.12 billion)
Tokyo DisneySea

Arendale (parking lot between Lost River Delta and Arabian Coast) - $500 million - featuring:
  1. Ice Mountain (E-ticket) which takes everyone on a quest to slay an ancient snow-monster, featuring projections, an AA that actually works, and a 125 ft first drop BACKWARDS into pitch darkness with growls echoing throughout the ice caverns. - $275 million ($1.4 billion)
  2. a Frozen family dark ride (D-ticket) - $90 million ($1.49 million)
  3. an original flat ride themed to Olaf (maybe a Music Express?) - $20 million ($1.51 billion)
  4. Camp Jurassic-style snow fort - $20 million ($1.53 billion)
  5. General asethetic throughout land (Potter esque details) - $95 million ($1.65 billion)
Lion King mini-land (between Lost River Delta and Port Discovery) - $200 million
  1. Major people-eating, two to three floor high POTC-style boat ride - $125 million ($1.77 billion)
  2. Festival of the Lion King - $25 million ($1.79 billion)
  3. General asethetic - $50 million ($1.82 billion)
Mermaid Lagoon
  1. Little Mermaid C-ticket dark ride - $55 million ($1.88 billion)
Mediterranean Harbor
  1. A Soarin'-style E-ticket themed to Leonardo Da Vinci as he guides guests on a time travelling adventure to the great innovations of years past and the potential for the future. With four different theaters, this attraction shifts from screen to screen with show scenes in between each transition - $175 million ($2.06 billion)
American Waterfront
  1. A Mystic Manor-esque dark ride involving a film noir "whodunit" plot with randominzation, interactivity, AAs, screens, projections, sets all combined for a perfect addition - $160 million ($2.22 billion)
The remaining $2.8 billion could go to a brand new hotel resort, enhancements to their shopping district, and a premium water park ($1.5-$1.8 billion)

Last edited:

Matt7187

Over the next ten years, OLC has announced they will spend $5 billion - most of which is likely to go to the parks themselves?

Tokyo DisneyLand -

2. ToonTown is bulldozed for a Fantasyland Forest expansion - $5 million ($45 million)

1. Seven Dwarfs Mine Train clone - $75 million ($175 million) - 38" height requirement
  2. E-ticket Giants dark ride replaces Roger Rabbit, potentially using a motion base or KUKA arms- $135 million ($305 million) - 40" height requirement
  3. Cheshire Cat replaces Gadget's Go Coaster (with better theming) - $15 million ($320 million)
  4. The Tea Cups move to the new Wonderland mini-area, Alice labyrinth and miscellaneous additions - $35 million ($365 million)

2. Wreck-it Ralph E-ticket is brought in its place - with the Fantasyland half themed to Sugar Rush (tamer speeds and a 34" height requirement), and the Tomorrowland side themed to Hero's Duty (RSR speeds and a 40" height requirement). Both will incorporate high interactivty, AAs, elaborate sets and a fulfilling ride experience - $220 million ($590 million)

1. Buzz, Captain EO Theater and One Man's Dream II are demoed for an expansive Sci-Fi City rebranding of Tomorrowland - $10 million ($600 million)
  2. Flying Saucers are added, enclosed and featuring projections, fog and other immersive techniques - $30 million ($630 million)
  3. In Buzz Lightyear's place, a leisurely WALL-E dark ride with increased capacity has been added, giving guests a tour of the new Axiom - $55 million ($680 million)
  4. In the Captain EO area, a new original space adventure show is added - $55 million ($735 million)
  5. Star Jets are upgraded so that the saucers submerge from a crater. Sci-fi music plays throughout. At night, the vehicles shoot lasers at each other while the center of the spinner flashs on and off. - $15 million ($750 million)
  6. A TRON Lightcycle E-ticket that encircles all of Tomorrowland, including brief show scenes in the Grid, fully enclosed to give Tomorrowland a neon/steampunk feel at all times without other areas of the park intruding - $125 million ($875 million) 48" height requirement
  7. Space Mountain is given an Alien/UFO overlay as an expedition to mine on Mars goes awry. A brand new soundtrack, an AA, projection effects, full scale planets, SFX, and a launch to start off the flight with a couple inversions along the way and a finale that involves zero G simulation like Mission: SPACE - $125 million ($1 billion) 54" height requirement
Adventureland
  1. Jungle Cruise gets expanded outside the berm, with enhancements and King Louie's temple - $50 million ($1.05 billion)
  2. A Kilimanjaro Safari-style attraction themed to Jungle Book interlocks with Jungle Cruise at various points - $75 million ($1.12 billion)
Tokyo DisneySea

Arendale (parking lot between Lost River Delta and Arabian Coast) - $500 million - featuring:
  1. Ice Mountain (E-ticket) which takes everyone on a quest to slay an ancient snow-monster, featuring projections, an AA that actually works, and a 125 ft first drop BACKWARDS into pitch darkness with growls echoing throughout the ice caverns. - $275 million ($1.4 billion)
  3. an original flat ride themed to Olaf (maybe a Music Express?) - $20 million ($1.51 billion)
  5. General asethetic throughout land (Potter esque details) - $95 million ($1.65 billion)
Lion King mini-land (between Lost River Delta and Port Discovery) - $200 million
  1. Major people-eating, two to three floor high POTC-style boat ride - $125 million ($1.77 billion)
Mermaid Lagoon
Mediterranean Harbor
  1. A Soarin'-style E-ticket themed to Leonardo Da Vinci as he guides guests on a time travelling adventure to the great innovations of years past and the potential for the future. With four different theaters, this attraction shifts from screen to screen with show scenes in between each transition - $175 million ($2.06 billion)
American Waterfront
  1. A Mystic Manor-esque dark ride involving a film noir "whodunit" plot with randominzation, interactivity, AAs, screens, projections, sets all combined for a perfect addition - $160 million ($2.22 billion)
The remaining $2.8 billion could go to a brand new hotel resort, enhancements to their shopping district, and a premium water park ($1.5-$1.8 billion)
Wow, I honestly do t know how I would spend all that money. I'll have to think about that

mharrington

Tokyo DisneyLand -

Adventureland
Tokyo DisneySea

Mermaid Lagoon
Mediterranean Harbor
American Waterfront

Are all those ideas ones that they actually would do, or is just your ideas?

mahnamahna101

Original Poster
Are all those ideas ones that they actually would do, or is just your ideas?

Ideas of my own (although Lion King probably isn't the best choice for the area next to Port Discovery)

Althought knowing OLC, we'll probably get that grand of a scale for their expansions. They know how to wine and dine the theme park guest :)

mharrington

I have several ideas for how to spend $5 billion, but at least initially, they would be far more modest in scope, mainly updates to old attractions, especially in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. I will go into detail on the things I would do, but for now, what are your thoughts on my being more modest, at least at first?

mahnamahna101

Original Poster
I have several ideas for how to spend $5 billion, but at least initially, they would be far more modest in scope, mainly updates to old attractions, especially in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland. I will go into detail on the things I would do, but for now, what are your thoughts on my being more modest, at least at first?

Personally, I don't think being modest makes sense because $5 billion over 10 years is going to have to be spent pretty fast.

mharrington

Well, here's the first thing I would do: at Adventureland, I would revert the Tiki Room back to its original 1983-98 self. Here's a video of that show (circa 1988):

Not unlike with the DL and WDW shows, however, there are differences. First and most obvious, the sign out front will be changed. This is how the sign looks now:
Tiki%20Room%20with%20Stitch%2001.jpg

The new sign is displayed thus: the top part where it says "Enchanted Tiki Room" will now read "Walt Disney's" and the bottom and main sign which says "(Stitch presents) Aloha E Komo Mai!" will now read "Enchanted Tiki Room". The font for the "Enchanted Tiki Room" part will look like this:
advetr003.jpg

I have no idea how the original preshow was, but in case it hasn't yet, the steady jungle drumming that is used at both stateside parks is now implemented here as you leave the preshow to enter the real show. The show will be slightly shorter than the original 1983 show, mostly to match the time length of the show at Disneyland today. The Offenbach number will be dropped, but everything else (including the whole "Let's All Sing" number which was halved for the newer Florida show) will remain. However, the show also includes some of the effects just put into the show at Florida (and improved upon in my improvements to the Disneyland show).

mharrington

I decided to plunge right into Fantasyland, which is where some of the money would go towards. The first thing I would do is overhaul Snow White's Adventures, which is currently the "oldest" version of the ride in existence. Please bear with me, as this will take at least two posts to show:

The changes to the ride begin even before you board the ride itself! Gone is the medieval tent design. Instead, the entry will look something like the entrance to the old Seven Dwarfs Mine shop at WDW:
Seven-Dwarfs-Mine-shop-closed-Fantasyland-Magic-Kingdom-Walt-Disney-World.jpg

The entrance sign will have the ride's name in the font seen below:
disney-mine-train-1-050114.jpg

Just imagine "Snow White's" written in the same font as "Seven Dwarfs'" and "Adventures" in the same font as "Mine Train", and it's the same thing. Also, for good measure the diamond in the sign is replaced by a carving of Snow White, and the sign below that says, "Mine open soon!" will be replaced with carvings of the dwarfs. Anyway, you go into the load area, which now has a huge mural similar to the one from the poster for the first Japanese release of the movie. It won't look EXACTLY like the poster, just used as reference, with the addition of the Witch lurking behind a tree:
vintjapanswposter.jpg

Furthermore, the whole view of the castle (wishing well and all) is completely gone, mainly because this version doesn't have a trip through the castle at all! Instead, it's the entrance to the Seven Dwarfs' mine, similar to the shot below:
PICT1123.JPG

It's the exact same entryway into the mine, but it will be placed at the opposite end of the load area and you'll be going into the mine rather than come out. The mine cars are exactly the same as before (as seen in the shot above), but there is one difference: the addition of a lantern mounted on each side of the car in question, as if to light your way through the darkness when it comes, as it will.

That's the load area in the new version of Snow White's Adventures, but there are so many pictures in this post that I have to break it up into two posts. I'll get to the full and complete ride next time, I promise. I will tell you this much, however, the emphasis is no longer on the Witch. Instead, not unlike the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, from which the new Snow White ride takes some inspiration, this ride will now emphasize the Seven Dwarfs! Stay tuned.

seascape

5 billion would do just about everything I wsnt. First I would upgrade Epcot and the DHS for about 2 billion. Then I would take the remaining 3 billion and build Orlando Adventure Land right next to the Magic Kingdom on the western side. I would then have the DVC build a 2000 unit hotel and time share between the 2 parks with a special entrance to each park.

mahnamahna101

Original Poster
If we're going by WDW...

DHS - $1.5 billion:

1. Great Movie Ride is given a massive upgrade with all new scenes and AAs (Tarzan replaced by more Indiana Jones, Footlight Parade added to Mary Poppins, Alien scene is replaced by Star Wars, Gangster scene is themed to Dick Tracy, Western scene is replaced by Avengers - Disney would work out a major deal with Universal for the rights to the Avengers in the cinematic universe, so basically only Fantasia, Singin' in the Rain, Wizard of Oz, and Casablanca would remain mostly untouched) - $50 million
  2. Star Wars Land ($500 million): includes -
  3. New, improve Jedi Training Academy to replace American Idol and Sounds Dangerous - $30 million
  4. Indiana Jones stunt show closes for new family Clone Wars dark ride - $85 million ($115 million)
  5. Space behind Indy used for Pod Racers speedbike coaster (dueling) - $110 million ($225 million)
  6. Camp Jurassic-esque Ewok play area - $30 million ($255 million)
  7. Ewok elevated track ride - $55 million ($310 million)
  8. X-Wing spinner along Echo Lake - $20 million ($335 million)
  9. Backlot Express becomes Mos Eisley Cantina - $30 million ($365 million)
  10. Star Tours II gets a non-soundstage exterior - $40 million ($405 million)
  11. Asethetic/general theming - $95 million ($500 million)
  12. Great Muppet Movie Ride is added to a new Muppet Studios mini-land - $100 million ($600 million)
  13. Pizza Planet is rethemed to the Gonzo concept - $30 million ($630 million)
  14. lavish Gonzo kiddie coaster where Premier Theater is - $30 million ($660 million)
  15. Backlot Tour and LMA are replaced with Pixar Place ($500 million):
  16. Mater's Junkyard Jamboree - $25 million ($680 million)
  17. Bug's Life replaces HISTA - $10 million ($690 million)
  18. Monstropolis comes by TSMM - door coaster: $100 million ($790 million) and Laugh Floor relocation ($820 million)
  19. Finding Nemo - The Musical is relocated - $25 million ($845 million)
  20. Incredibles E-ticket - $220 million ($1.06 billion)
  21. General asethetic/theming - $100 million ($1.16 billion)
  22. Crimestoppers EMV dark ride on Sunset boulevard - $150 million ($1.31 billion)
  23. Roger Rabbit mini-land replaces B&TB stage show/empty space including a clone of the Disneyland ride and a new carousel - $150 million ($1.46 billion)
  24. Improvements throughout park - $40 million ($1.5 billion)

mahnamahna101

Original Poster
Basically
EPCOT - $1 billion (new pavillion in Future World, Imagination revamp, E-ticket boat ride for Germany and D-ticket coaster for Japan, upgrades for current Future World rides and WS shows)
AK - $750 million (E-ticket trackless dark ride in Africa or Asia, Dinoland revamp including a new coaster, Africa flat ride, reopening of Discovery Cruise Boats)
HS - $1.5 billion (Star Wars Land, Pixar Place, and mini-lands for Muppets and Roger Rabbit)
MK - $1.75 billion (reworked backstage infrastructure, allowing 10-15 new attractions eventually)

Last edited:

Thrill

Semi-vague $5 billion plan for WDW:
- $750 million for Magic Kingdom
- $1.175 billion for EPCOT
- $1.24 billion for Hollywood Studios
- $1.6 billion for Animal Kingdom
- $235 million to kick around - if a major park goes over budget; else, upgrades for water parks, Downtown Disney (DisneyQuest?), hotels, and general infrastructure

Magic Kingdom ($750 million):
- Significant backstage shuffling; Main Street arcades constructed for crowd control purposes ($50 million; $50 million)
- Remove Aladdin's Flying Carpets ($5 million; $55 million)
- Restaurant in Adventureland ($20 million; $75 million)
- Jungle Cruise enhancements ($50 million; $125 million)
- Tom Sawyer's Island overhaul ($25 million; $150 million)
- Country Bear Jamboree refurbishment ($10 million; $160 million)
- Update PhilharMagic with randomized scenes ($20 million; $180 million)
- Level the Speedway to allow further Fantasyland expansion ($10 million; $190 million)
- Frozen dark ride ($110 million; $300 million)
- Upgrade (and possibly relocate) Peter Pan's Flight and "it's a small world" ($75 million; $375 million)
- New meet and greet location ($15 million; $390 million)
- New C-Ticket dark ride (Ichabod Crane, as a pseudo-Mr. Toad tribute that works well near Liberty Square? Sleeping Beauty?) ($30 million; $420 million)
- Tomorrowland gets gutted - Stitch's Great Escape and Monsters, Inc.* close ($10 million; $430 million)
- Improve Space Mountain's effects and add on-board audio ($50 million; $480 million)
- Low-ticket Stitch and Monster's, Inc. replacements ($35 million each; $550 million)
- Super E-Ticket to replace former Speedway territory (think Horizons) ($150 million; $700 million)
- Refresh Carousel of Progress using the World's Fair closing scene with a disclaimer ($20 million; $720 million)
- Atmospheric enhancements in Tomorrowland ($30 million; $750 million)

EPCOT ($1.175 billion):
- Finish Spaceship Earth ($40 million; $40 million)
- Overhaul Energy ($150 million; $190 million)
- Open a Medicine pavilion ($200 million; $390 million)
- Expand the Space pavilion ($150 million; $540 million)
- Reconfigure Innoventions buildings and enhance ($60 million; $600 million)
- Overhaul Imagination ($150 million; $750 million)
- Third theater for Soarin' (I'm assuming the video was already paid for) ($50 million; $800 million)
- Some kind of event establishment ($25 million; $825 million)
- Roman chariot ride in Italy and corresponding area ($75 million; $900 million)
- Germany dark ride ($75 million; $975 million)
- Brazil pavilion ($125 million; $1.1 billion)
- Illuminations enhancements ($75 million; $1.175 billion)

Hollywood Studios ($1.24 billion):
- Fantasmic enhancements ($50 million; $50 million)
- Beauty and the Beast replacement ($50 million; $100 million)
- CONTROVERSIAL: Replace Rockin' Rollercoaster with something family-friendly that fits Sunset Boulevard - it's not a particularly great coaster, it doesn't fit the area, and it makes the park lopsided ($75 million; $175 million)
- Drop the Hat ($15 million; $190 million)
- Great Movie Ride overhaul - shorten Indiana Jones, remove and replace Tarzan and generic horror; enhance just about everything else ($100 million; $290 million)
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid replacement ($50 million; $340 million)
- Some neat Animation upgrades ($30 million; $370 million)
- Star Wars area - speedbike coaster, restaurant, a C-Ticket dark ride, a couple of flat rides ($450 million; $820 million)
- Pixar Place expansion - Incredibles D-Ticket, Up D-Ticket, relocated *Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor, new Pizza Planet ($400 million; $1.22 billion)
- Muppets take over former Pizza Planet ($20 million; $1.24 billion)

Animal Kingdom ($1.6 billion)
- Expand Dinoland with a D-Ticket dark ride ($100 million; $100 million)
- Refresh Dinosaur ($60 million; $160 million)
- Build Beastly Kingdomme with an E-Ticket dark ride, a D-Ticket coaster, a C-Ticket dark ride, a show, and some flat rides ($550 million; $710 million)
- Add a World of Color style show ($100 million; $810 million)
- Have a new parade ($60 million; $870 million)
- Having filled Animal Kingdom a bit, closing Everest will no longer induce a riot; FIX THE YETI ($50 million; $920 million)
- Refresh Kali River Rapids ($60 million; $980 million)
- Add a D-Ticket in Asia and a C-Ticket in Africa ($160 million; $1.14 billion)
- Build an Australia land including a show, a C-Ticket dark ride, and an E-Ticket ($460 million; $1.6 billion)

I will update this later. The EPCOT changes will likely be re-done as I A) completely ignored The Seas and Test Track, B) did the bare minimum to The Land, and C) neglected World Showcase pretty hard.

And if you haven't noticed yet: not a lot of net attraction adds here. It's mostly refurbs and replacements. The reason: Tokyo Disney is using $5 billion to fix and expand two parks. To make sure that everything is sparkly and new at MK, EPCOT, and DHS, it would cost a lot of money. Not much is left over for expansion, especially when Animal Kingdom expansions would chew up a lot of money because that park is not filled out. (The good news at AK is that the stuff that's there can mostly stay as-is.)

Last edited:

mahnamahna101

Original Poster
Semi-vague $5 billion plan for WDW:
- $750 million for Magic Kingdom
- $1.175 billion for EPCOT
- $1.24 billion for Hollywood Studios
- $1.5 billion for Animal Kingdom
- $335 million to kick around - if a major park goes over budget; else, upgrades for water parks, Downtown Disney (DisneyQuest?), hotels, and general infrastructure

Magic Kingdom ($750 million):
- Significant backstage shuffling; Main Street arcades constructed for crowd control purposes ($50 million; $50 million)
- Remove Aladdin's Flying Carpets ($5 million; $55 million)
- Restaurant in Adventureland ($20 million; $75 million)
- Jungle Cruise enhancements ($50 million; $125 million)
- Tom Sawyer's Island overhaul ($25 million; $150 million)
- Country Bear Jamboree refurbishment ($10 million; $160 million)
- Update PhilharMagic with randomized scenes ($20 million; $180 million)
- Level the Speedway to allow further Fantasyland expansion ($10 million; $190 million)
- Frozen dark ride ($110 million; $300 million)
- Upgrade (and possibly relocate) Peter Pan's Flight and "it's a small world" ($75 million; $375 million)
- New meet and greet location ($15 million; $390 million)
- New C-Ticket dark ride (Ichabod Crane, as a pseudo-Mr. Toad tribute that works well near Liberty Square? Sleeping Beauty?) ($30 million; $420 million)
- Tomorrowland gets gutted - Stitch's Great Escape and Monsters, Inc.* close ($10 million; $430 million)
- Improve Space Mountain's effects, add on-board audio, and replace track ($75 million; $505 million)
- Low-ticket Stitch and Monster's, Inc. replacements ($35 million each; $575 million)
- Super E-Ticket to replace former Speedway territory (think Horizons) ($150 million; $725 million)
- Atmospheric enhancements in Tomorrowland ($25 million; $750 million)

EPCOT ($1.175 billion):
- Finish Spaceship Earth ($40 million; $40 million)
- Overhaul Energy ($150 million; $190 million)
- Open a Medicine pavilion ($200 million; $390 million)
- Expand the Space pavilion ($150 million; $540 million)
- Reconfigure Innoventions buildings and enhance ($60 million; $600 million)
- Overhaul Imagination ($150 million; $750 million)
- Third theater for Soarin' (I'm assuming the video was already paid for) ($50 million; $800 million)
- Some kind of event establishment ($25 million; $825 million)
- Roman chariot ride in Italy and corresponding area ($75 million; $900 million)
- Germany dark ride ($75 million; $975 million)
- Brazil pavilion ($125 million; $1.1 billion)
- Illuminations enhancements ($75 million; $1.175 billion)

Hollywood Studios ($1.24 billion):
- Fantasmic enhancements ($50 million; $50 million)
- Beauty and the Beast replacement ($50 million; $100 million)
- CONTROVERSIAL: Replace Rockin' Rollercoaster with something family-friendly that fits Sunset Boulevard - it's not a particularly great coaster, it doesn't fit the area, and it makes the park lopsided ($75 million; $175 million)
- Drop the Hat ($15 million; $190 million)
- Great Movie Ride overhaul - shorten Indiana Jones, remove and replace Tarzan and generic horror; enhance just about everything else ($100 million; $290 million)
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid replacement ($50 million; $340 million)
- Some neat Animation upgrades ($30 million; $370 million)
- Star Wars area - X-Wing coaster, restaurant, a C-Ticket dark ride, a couple of flat rides ($450 million; $820 million)
- Pixar Place expansion - Incredibles D-Ticket, Up D-Ticket, relocated *Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor, new Pizza Planet ($400 million; $1.22 billion)
- Muppets take over former Pizza Planet ($20 million; $1.24 billion)

I will update this later. The EPCOT changes will likely be re-done as I A) completely ignored The Seas and Test Track, B) did the bare minimum to The Land, and C) neglected World Showcase pretty hard.

And if you haven't noticed yet: not a lot of net attraction adds here. It's mostly refurbs and replacements. The reason: Tokyo Disney is using $5 billion to fix and expand two parks. To make sure that everything is sparkly and new at MK, EPCOT, and DHS, it would cost a lot of money. Not much is left over for expansion, especially when Animal Kingdom expansions would chew up a lot of money because that park is not filled out. (The good news at AK is that the stuff that's there can mostly stay as-is.)

you didn't really neglect World Showcase, but I'd lower your budget slightly for enhancements. New films for the current attractions is all it needs right now

Maybe the Crimestoppers idea for the 90s as a RnRC replacement? It could be an EMV dark ride with shoot 'em up aspects (Indy meets MIB).

Incredibles should be an E-ticket (Midway Mania is a C, a Monsters door coaster would be a D, Up could work as a replacement for HITSK play area, and a clone of Junkyard Jamboree would be easy to add) since the land needs an anchor. Something on par with Spidey and FJ.

I'd change the Star Wars coaster to a speedbike one, make only one flat ride (X Wing spinner along Echo Lake), and add an Ewok play area (gives DHS some vegetation). If you're going to add another flat ride, I'd say a carousel in an Ewoks mini-land or something like that.

MK is great, considering how you only had $750 million rather than $1.5 billion. Hollywood Studios would be fairly well off if you added all of that. Curious about Animal Kingdom since like you stated, everything except Dinoland is pretty much great - just needs to be fleshed out.

Thrill

you didn't really neglect World Showcase, but I'd lower your budget slightly for enhancements. New films for the current attractions is all it needs right now
I'm one for plussing before expansion. At a certain point, you'll end up with too many rides.
Maybe the Crimestoppers idea for the 90s as a RnRC replacement? It could be an EMV dark ride with shoot 'em up aspects (Indy meets MIB).
This is a pretty great idea. Fits the era. A couple of hang-ups in that it's a lesser-known franchise and it would be the second shoot-em-up in the park. However, I like it.
Incredibles should be an E-ticket (Midway Mania is a C, a Monsters door coaster would be a D, Up could work as a replacement for HITSK play area, and a clone of Junkyard Jamboree would be easy to add) since the land needs an anchor. Something on par with Spidey and FJ
(I consider Midway Mania a low D-Ticket, actually.) As much as I'd like an E-Ticket, the budget got a bit big here. Up is fantastic and worthy of a D-Ticket attraction, and Incredibles needs a presence. 3 D-Tickets sounds like a good land to me, provided that everything is well-executed.
I'd change the Star Wars coaster to a speedbike one, make only one flat ride (X Wing spinner along Echo Lake), and add an Ewok play area (gives DHS some vegetation). If you're going to add another flat ride, I'd say a carousel in an Ewoks mini-land or something like that
I like these changes.
MK is great, considering how you only had $750 million rather than $1.5 billion. Hollywood Studios would be fairly well off if you added all of that. Curious about Animal Kingdom since like you stated, everything except Dinoland is pretty much great - just needs to be fleshed out.
Thank you! Considering that Magic Kingdom is pretty filled-up as it stands, I focused pretty strictly on fixing what I see as the two main flaws in the park: "old" Fantasyland, and the east/west imbalance (that is, Tomorrowland is pretty weak). This reminds me, I forgot a Carousel of Progress refurbishment, so I dropped Space Mountain's track replacement (bumpiness provides character). I also may have underestimated the budget for this park. Not sure Disney could pull off a super E-Ticket for $150 million these days. I left over $200 million to account for such underestimation.

I've since added Animal Kingdom. Includes a Dinoland expansion, two new lands, a ton of new attractions, and a revived Yeti. Not bad for $1.6 billion. (Although, I didn't have to gut two lands, bring Future World into the modern era, or attempt to salvage a "studio" park with no identity.)

Last edited:

mharrington

As promised, here's the rest of the new and improved Snow White's Adventures at Tokyo Disneyland:

The ride begins after you board your mine cars, which are the exact same as before, consisting of two seats each for a maximum total of four passengers, but with the addition of lanterns mounted on each side of the vehicle. In a sort of homage to the original 1955 Disneyland attraction, it begins in the Seven Dwarfs' diamond mine. You enter the mine and you see the Dwarfs all around singing, "Dig, Dig, Dig" (in Japanese, of course). It's the same kind of scene as in the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride. You see Dopey sitting in a mine cart being pulled by a deer, the cart full of jewels, two of which Dopey has placed over his eyes. Turning a bend, you then head further into the mine where you see the other dwarfs engaged in their labors. As I said before, it's the same kind of scene as in the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride, so I'm not going to go into a lot of detail on it. You can watch the video for it here for the scene (from 1:07 to 2:05):

There is one main difference, however. In the original ride at Tokyo, as you head through that version's mine scene, you nearly have a run-in with a runaway mine cart full of jewels that stops short of crashing into you. The new version has a scene like that here, but with a twist: this cart is tied to a rope held by Grumpy, who tries to pull the cart back and prevent it from crashing into you. Then, after going past Doc, who calls out, "Heigh-Ho!" (and that song starts), you head down a long tunnel with the dwarfs' shadows marching along bound for home.

Emerging from the tunnel, you head along a new scene never seen before in any version of the Snow White ride: a forest scene, but one that is not scary at all (that comes later). "Heigh-Ho" is heard here (in Japanese) as you go through the woods at sundown, with the forest animals all around. At one point, you pass below a fallen log across the Dwarfs are marching, just as in the original movie:
p53.jpg

You go by a fork in the road, whose signs point the way towards "Dwarfs' Cottage" and "Queen's Castle", another nod to the original pre-1983 Snow White ride. The route to the castle is marked by the castle way off in the distance. This time, however, you do head towards the cottage which is just ahead.

You go through the usual cottage scene with "The Silly Song" being performed by the Seven Dwarfs. This is how the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ends, with the ride vehicles heading past the cottage into which one can see Snow White and the Dwarfs dancing together. Also the Witch stands outside the cottage there, cackling. This new version of Snow White's Adventures has a similar scene, although you obviously go into the cottage itself. It's similar to the original version, but with Snow White no longer on the stairs (a few forest animals are, however), but actually dancing with Dopey on Sneezy's shoulders, as in the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (it's not easy to make out from this picture here, but Snow White is clearly seen dancing with the Dwarfs here):
13957912590_024d64fa28.jpg

Emerging from the cottage, it is now nighttime out with clouds gathering. The lanterns on your vehicle light up to light your way (although they are somewhat dimmed and not particularly bright). Here, you finally see the Witch. An actual AA figure now and not just a static one, she cackles. You hear the Dwarfs say (in Japanese) about how the Witch is going to threaten Snow White and must be stopped. Passing below a gnarled tree branch with two vultures perched on it, you head into the scary forest scene, which has been relocated. It's similar to other versions (especially the post-1983 Disneyland version), with menacing trees and logs resembling alligators. But in this case, it is the Dwarfs who are in the woods as you see, and the scariness of the woods is the least of their problems as they search for the Witch. Similar to the post-1983 Disneyland ride, after the scary forest, you then return to the cottage where the Witch would usually offer you, the rider, the apple after offering it to Snow White, but this time, a new figure of Snow White is seen standing in the doorway as she takes the apple from the Witch, who tells her (in Japanese) to take a bite and all her dreams will come true. It's similar to a scene from the post-1994 WDW version.

Then you reach the usual stormy cliff climax, complete with some rainstorm effects used in Disneyland's version today. Here, of course, you see the Dwarfs chasing the Witch up the mountain, where she tries to crush them with a boulder, only to, of course, fall backwards off the cliff and get herself crushed. If you've seen this scene in the ride before, there's no need for further explanations (as in the ride in California and Paris (but not the post-1994 Florida version), the Witch's scream is lifted from the movie). As you escape, you see the final scene of the ride: a "happy ending" scene, which has up to now never been included in Tokyo's version (at least Disneyland tries to end happily, even if it falls a bit flat with a simple storybook page). This scene is a variation on the other versions seen in the parks. The ending is also a huge storybook, complete with the words "And they lived happily ever after." However, the page in question is opened up to show full images of Snow White and the Prince waving goodbye to the Dwarfs from the other side of the track.

And thus ends the new and improved Snow White's Adventures at Tokyo Disneyland. Probably to accommodate the new ride, it might take over part, if not all, of the shop next door, Kingdom Treasures.

What did you think?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom