How to Pack

5thGenTexan

Original Poster
We have been on two NCL cruises, one Princess Cruise, and two DCL. Aside from the Princess cruise (Alaska), we always drove to Galveston or Houston and we didn't worry too much about how much we were packing. Next June we will be flying from Dallas to Miami and when checked luggage costs more than I like to think about we need to think about how to pack differently.

Southwest, each passenger gets two checked bags of course.
Other airlines it looks like a carryon is included in the fare.

There will be four of us. 2 Adults, a 14 year old girl who is happy with shorts and t-shirt for everything. She isnt frilly. And a 12 year old boy.
5 Night. Miami - George Town - Castaway Cay

Can we get away packing efficiently in 4 carry on bags? What constitutes a personal item?

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
We typically have one large checked bag for the group. We have the R2D2 version of this bag

You do have to watch the weight, though. It’s really easy to catch an overweight fee with the larger bags.

Bonus: this review complaining their bag had a male body part made from Minnie’s face
9F928E79-025C-4E9C-8E33-44D41703F330.png

ChuckElias

Can we get away packing efficiently in 4 carry on bags? What constitutes a personal item?
A personal item is a purse or a backpack that can fit under the seat in front of you. If it doesn't fit under the seat and has to go in an overhead bin, it's generally considered a carry-on. Many airline websites will give you exact dimensions for allowable carry-ons and personal items.

I would personally have no trouble packing for a 5 night cruise in a carry-on bag.

CaptainAmerica

There will be four of us. 2 Adults, a 14 year old girl who is happy with shorts and t-shirt for everything. She isnt frilly. And a 12 year old boy.
5 Night. Miami - George Town - Castaway Cay
I've done three 5-night sailings out of Miami in the past year and one carry-on per person should be more than enough.

6 pairs of shorts, rolled tight
6 Hawaiian shirts
10 pairs of underwear, rolled tight
4 pairs of socks
2 bathing suits
1 pair of water flip flops
1 pair of nice leather flip flops
Toothbrush, deodorant, razor, shaving cream

And that's pretty much it. There's no formal night on a sailing this length. Wearing a Hawaiian shirt to dinner will be more dressy than half the ship.

The only reason we check a bag is because my kids (8, 5, 2) are pretty useless in the airport. But your kids are old enough to drag their own carry-ons.

Weather_Lady

My family packs for up to 5 nights with a single 21" carryon apiece (plus a personal item like a tote bag or backpack). We rely on a tried-and-true packing list to ensure that we bring only what we need -- a mix-and-match capsule wardrobe with 1 outfit per day, plus PJs, swimwear, 2 pairs of footwear, and toiletries (decanted into small containers). We wear our bulkiest items (jacket/sweater, jeans, sneakers or boots) to travel. I find that putting things in packing cubes (in a different color for each person) helps keep things organized and compact, and of course, we make use of all available space in our luggage (tucking socks inside shoes, folding things between the handle rails). Items like snacks, a water bottle (can't be filled until after passing through airport security), meds, electronics and chargers, reading materials, and "seasonal" things like an umbrella or poncho, or gloves and hat, go in our personal item.

For longer trips, we simply pack half the clothes we need and do a load of laundry midway through (even on cruises). We've been all over the country, to Canada, Mexico, and Europe, and in 20 years, have never had to check a bag.

Phonedave

That's understandable. But we're Platinum, so we get a free Palo meal on each cruise; so we pack accordingly :)

I know DCL has self service laundry facilities on most (if not all) ships, but some people don't like to iron on vacation and depending on what you plan on wearing to Palo, some things must be pressed.

Pressing (and dry cleaning) services on board are relatively inexpensive. I have just rolled up a dress shirt and sport coat so they fit in my bag, and then the first night there I give them to the room porter to be pressed. To press a sport coat and shirt is like $10 with tip.

Last edited:

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
My family packs for up to 5 nights with a single 21" carryon apiece (plus a personal item like a tote bag or backpack). We rely on a tried-and-true packing list to ensure that we bring only what we need -- a mix-and-match capsule wardrobe with 1 outfit per day, plus PJs, swimwear, 2 pairs of footwear, and toiletries (decanted into small containers). We wear our bulkiest items (jacket/sweater, jeans, sneakers or boots) to travel. I find that putting things in packing cubes (in a different color for each person) helps keep things organized and compact, and of course, we make use of all available space in our luggage (tucking socks inside shoes, folding things between the handle rails). Items like snacks, a water bottle (can't be filled until after passing through airport security), meds, electronics and chargers, reading materials, and "seasonal" things like an umbrella or poncho, or gloves and hat, go in our personal item.

For longer trips, we simply pack half the clothes we need and do a load of laundry midway through (even on cruises). We've been all over the country, to Canada, Mexico, and Europe, and in 20 years, have never had to check a bag.
Color me impressed. I'm a chronic overpacker. Four night cruise means a fully loaded 26" suitcase, including at least 8 pairs of shoes. 😂

And I too use the folding things between handle rails--why waste all that space? 😁

I just got home from an overnight trip, where I had to zip out the expansion on my 21" carryon rollerbag. I'm gonna blame the flatiron. And the slippers. 😇

Lilofan

Thanks for all the tips. I think we have decided on a WDW trip instead. I guess mostly rolling shorts and t shirts for that and calling it a day. :)
Its not if but when it will happen at WDW resorts. If you went on a DCL ship, towel animal plush are now for sale.

Phonedave

Color me impressed. I'm a chronic overpacker. Four night cruise means a fully loaded 26" suitcase, including at least 8 pairs of shoes. 😂

And I too use the folding things between handle rails--why waste all that space? 😁

I just got home from an overnight trip, where I had to zip out the expansion on my 21" carryon rollerbag. I'm gonna blame the flatiron. And the slippers. 😇

My wife and I just did a three day (leave late Friday return late Sunday) trip to Atlanta to visit my daughter. Nothing fancy planned, no need for dress clothes.

My wife and I each packed a carry-on. Or to be more accurate. My wife packed a carry-on and a half, while I packed a half carry-on.

She is of the same mindset as you. She likes to be comfortable, and know she has options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom