How often does this happen?

FettFan

Original Poster
I promise I’m not TRYING to be negative but both the Magic Kingdom anc Epcot (and both the Express and Epcot monorail lines) are mostly shut down thanks to this storm.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Storms happen. Power goes out.
That's part of the experience when going to Disney World in the middle of the summer.
As that's part of the experience even in Buffalo NY when a storm hits in the middle of summer.

Kamikaze

I promise I’m not TRYING to be negative but both the Magic Kingdom anc Epcot (and both the Express and Epcot monorail lines) are mostly shut down thanks to this storm.

Pretty often. When you have a huge resort in the lightning capital of the US, you're going to have shutdowns.

Rich Brownn

This isn't normal though. Riddes get shut down in weather but this was where the power glitched and shut down nearly every single attraction in the parks. I haven't seen that happen in a long, long time

WDW Pro

It's exceedingly rare to have multiple parks lose attractions due to a "glitch". I'm waiting to hear what it was. Super odd.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Heck I wouldn't be surprised if there is some big issue going on like way back in August 2003 and the Northeast black out.
with NYC losing power, Disney, tonight where I live the power was out for 2 hours with no real cause...

Last edited:

tonymu

Premium Member
I have friend at AK today and they said they heard a loud boom and then the power went out. Had to evacuate the attractions. Sent out an announcement through the app asking for patience as they try to reopen the attractions.

xcrashx15

I was on Monorail Coral today and we were a few minutes away from the Epcot station when we saw a lighting bolt and then we stopped moving. We were stuck on there for about 50 minutes total while they restored power to the other tracks, restored power to our track, and then finally restored power at the station. Our conductor was pretty quirky and kept giving out updates (along with random monorail facts and Epcot facts) so it actually wasn't a bad experience (kind of fun, even!), aside from having no AC. When we pulled in, cast members were there waiting with bottles of water and they directed us over to guest relations. I thought we'd be getting a few fast passes to make up for lost time, but each person got $50 in Disney gift cards. Everyone I saw seemed pretty happy with that, especially since Disney had no control over the power outage in the first place.

The best part was I'm here for a conference at Universal where I fly out tomorrow, but I couldn't resist taking a quick monorail trip around the resorts before leaving and then I decided to hop on the Epcot line on a whim. I checked the line times after the storm and when I saw they were fairly short with some fast passes still available, I ended up applying the gift card to the cost of a ticket. I had about 4 hours left so I made it onto Test Track, Soarin, and a few other rides before grabbing dinner in the World Showcase and watching Illuminations for (probably) my last time. The only ride I saw that didn't start running again was Spaceship Earth. So, while I'm sure the power outage caused issues for plenty of guests, I just thought I'd share that it ended up making my day since it led to an unplanned trip!

FettFan

Original Poster
Storms happen. Power goes out.
That's part of the experience when going to Disney World in the middle of the summer.
As that's part of the experience even in Buffalo NY when a storm hits in the middle of summer.

Ah but that’s it. The power is on at certain places.
I was on Monorail Coral today and we were a few minutes away from the Epcot station when we saw a lighting bolt and then we stopped moving. We were stuck on there for about 50 minutes total while they restored power to the other tracks, restored power to our track, and then finally restored power at the station. Our conductor was pretty quirky and kept giving out updates (along with random monorail facts and Epcot facts) so it actually wasn't a bad experience (kind of fun, even!), aside from having no AC. When we pulled in, cast members were there waiting with bottles of water and they directed us over to guest relations. I thought we'd be getting a few fast passes to make up for lost time, but each person got $50 in Disney gift cards. Everyone I saw seemed pretty happy with that, especially since Disney had no control over the power outage in the first place.

The best part was I'm here for a conference at Universal where I fly out tomorrow, but I couldn't resist taking a quick monorail trip around the resorts before leaving and then I decided to hop on the Epcot line on a whim. I checked the line times after the storm and when I saw they were fairly short with some fast passes still available, I ended up applying the gift card to the cost of a ticket. I had about 4 hours left so I made it onto Test Track, Soarin, and a few other rides before grabbing dinner in the World Showcase and watching Illuminations for (probably) my last time. The only ride I saw that didn't start running again was Spaceship Earth. So, while I'm sure the power outage caused issues for plenty of guests, I just thought I'd share that it ended up making my day since it led to an unplanned trip!

That’s good to hear.

I’m at MK today and both the resort and express lines are going squirrelly and I wound up using the shuttle boat from the Polynesian.

jrogue

Usually closing for lightning doesn't take very long and only lasts until the lightning is out of the vicinity. but crazy to think there's some power glitch that happened!

@xcrashx15 glad it turned into a really positive situation for you!! I can't imagine what it would have been like for people with little kids or claustrophobia on the monorail for that long -- I probably would have started panicking. Is it bad my first thought was "but what if you had to use the bathroom??" :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom