How much???

KeithVH

Original Poster
Got our notice for D+ yearly renewal. Didn't think too much of it till we looked at last year's bill. Was $88 last November and is now $140 for this year. I am gobsmacked. Yeah, I heard it was going up - I figured $20 or so. Not $52 (60%).

And then I realized, I'll miss it a little but not going to loose sleep over it. Especially if they continue to refuse to open the vault for WoC episodes and all the other cool stuff that hasn't been on the screen in years. Goodbye.

Anyone else hitting this wall?

TP2000

Subscribe for a month, binge whatever you want/need to watch, cancel. Don't feed the beast.

Bingo! That's how I do Netflix. Binge for a month or two, coast for 10 or 12 months until the new stuff is available.

I can afford the $22 bucks a month, but I just really enjoy cancelling with my remote control, for some weird reason. 🤣

Whoever made it easy to subscribe, cancel, re-subscribe, cancel again with a few taps at a remote control is a genius!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Not hitting the wall, but look at the D+ economics. They make more money if they can get customers to accept the subscription plan with ads, so naturally they want to try and move people down the stack.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Bingo! That's how I do Netflix. Binge for a month or two, coast for 10 or 12 months until the new stuff is available.

I can afford the $22 bucks a month, but I just really enjoy cancelling with my remote control, for some weird reason. 🤣

Whoever made it easy to subscribe, cancel, re-subscribe, cancel again with a few taps at a remote control is a genius!
If D+ wasn't included in my cell phone plan, we wouldn't have it, at least on an annual plan. I'd subscribe once or twice a year for a month at a time and that would be it. I feel that way about most streaming services these days. There just isn't enough new/regular content to warrant a long-term commitment.

Jedijax719

Got our notice for D+ yearly renewal. Didn't think too much of it till we looked at last year's bill. Was $88 last November and is now $140 for this year. I am gobsmacked. Yeah, I heard it was going up - I figured $20 or so. Not $52 (60%).

And then I realized, I'll miss it a little but not going to loose sleep over it. Especially if they continue to refuse to open the vault for WoC episodes and all the other cool stuff that hasn't been on the screen in years. Goodbye.

Anyone else hitting this wall?
In 2021 we subscribed for the yearly $86 (or I guess $88 total). Since the subscription ended the following year before the price hike, we were "grandfathered" in at the same price over the past year. So, yeah, it will go up but I guess on the bright side, we lucked out with when we started and avoided last year's hike.

Thing is we (well really I ) like to have that 4-k Star Wars, Marvel, POTC, Indy, some X-Men, etc.

erasure fan1

I've been on the watch what I want, then cancel until a couple few things drop and then sign back up for a month. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Why on earth would someone willingly pay to be forced to watch ads? Pay the extra few dollars for a month. It makes even less sense for someone to pay to watch ads annually.
Just because that works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone. Not everyone is diligent enough to subscribe for only a month and then cancel. Also some see value in having D+ for longer than a month. And so if a person wants lower cost but also not have to churn constantly, there are the ad tiers.

This doesn't apply to just D+, almost all streaming services will be adding ad tiers into their services including Amazon and Apple.

KeithVH

Original Poster
Well, I do think the whole cancel and subscribe periodically is the best option. Admittedly a pain but paying for an unused service, even for a month of so, seems counterproductive. Doing the same with Paramount just so I can see Halo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom