How do you keep toddlers from wandering?? & more

moopdog

Original Poster
This occurred to me two days ago while I was in toysRus and then the mall with me little angels (term used lightly). My DD is 2.5 and will be almost 3 when we go... please someone tell me it will not be like this by then!! My DS is 4 and will be almost 5 at that time, he's not so bad, but he still doesn't stick like glue to me.

My DD will literally RUN from me, throw her body on floor in a fit, and scream "NO" at us occasionally. This has actually just come about recently and my DH were in SHOCK at her behavior at first, then we were embarrassed, now we're mad and a little nervous that this is her personality. Anyway, maybe it's a girl thing (please??) and an age thing (PLEASE?!) and she'll grow out of it soon. She definitely is headstrong, which I'm happy for since my DS is a little too easy-going, but this is ridiculous lately.

So... are we setting ourselves up for disaster bringing these monsters to Disney? I have too much invested into the trip now, so we ARE going, so I guess I'm asking how to cope. And more importantly... how to keep our children safe.

BTW - the harnass things are not an option for us. We do plan on using the double stroller (or two seperate if that's what you suggest) most days but some times it's probably nice just to be without it, right?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The best piece of advice I could give you is keep a slow pace at the parks. If you try to rush through the parks at break neck speed the kids will eventually snap. Plan for a midday nap. If possible don’t go to MK on the weekends. MK is its busiest on Saturday and Sunday. Statistically Tuesday is the best day for MK. As far as the throwing themselves on the floor and throwing a temper tantrum the only thing I have found that works is to walk away. As soon as they realize that Mommy and Daddy are gone they tend to straighten up real quick.

that_L_do_pig

Been there done that - Double Stroller is the best containment option (has lap belts). So when you are on the move, use the stroller. When you are in queue, control your kids!

I don't think the kid leashes are appropriate either, but that is just my opinion.

It also helps to play man-to-man instead of zone defense.

awalkinthepark

duct tape.....

.....seriously stroller works great...just bring the double...if anything you can switch the little one around for different perspectives during the day. I used to be dead set against baby leashes until my two year old disappeared(grandma just left him standing behind us without saying anything...uggghhhh) luckily we found him within seconds but I realized how easy it is to lose something you love...so many people, high displays in the stores, just think about the World of Disney store and losing a little person in there...

Trishnh

I agree-utilize a double or 2 single strollers as much as you can. I have 4 kids close in age and I found 2 singles to be easier for a few reasons: lighter and more compact, therefor easier to lug around on the busses. One of my kids would always pull the other's hair in a double so that was not good :p . I know you said you were against leashes, but we used to have one that was actually a pack for the child, and had a leash attached to it. It was the best thing around! It worked great for us and the kdis did not mind wearing it since it was 'cool'. :wave:
good luck!

barnum42

As a kid at a fun fair (not Disney) I wanted to do something, my Dad said no, I kept on and he just took me to the car and drove home. From that point on I knew he was not kidding when he said no and never pushed my luck again.

wishiwere@wdw

Hmmm.... Sounds so familiar lol

We are going again in April with our almost 3 year old and his younger brother. Def. double stroller it. It's much easier to contain them and less work to lug around when going to or leaving the parks. Plus, you aren't stranded while your significant other goes in a store or to the bathroom because you can still push both kids at the same time. Personally, we prefer the longer front-back stroller over the side by side because its easier to navigate in stores and crowds.

The leash worked great for our son until he was a little older. We had to us it there during Christmas 2003 because of the crowds but being almost 3 I don't think he would like it very much anymore.

One other suggestion. If your toddler is like ours and has MAJOR energy, go somewhere to let them burn it! We use the playgrounds at the resort and also visit places in the parks (Tree House, Tom Sawyer Island, HISTK playground at MGM, etc.) to let him run and run and run and run to burn off steam.

The #1 tip I would have is to NOT forget naps! Otherwise, we would end up having a cranky toddler that doesn't want to listen or do anything.

Good luck :) We've always had a blast and our son seemed to behave abnormally better when at WDW. It must be magic ;)

wannab@dis

barnum42 said:
As a kid at a fun fair (not Disney) I wanted to do something, my Dad said no, I kept on and he just took me to the car and drove home. From that point on I knew he was not kidding when he said no and never pushed my luck again.

Hey, that sounds like my parents! Tested their resolve many times and always lost. Now that I have a little one, it's not as easy as I thought. She's not quite 1yo and yet I can already see a little stubborn streak in her. It's tough to say "no" to her all the time, but I know it's for her good. Sometimes, you just want to laugh at the persistance! "Daddy said don't pull the puppies tail or ears."

Parents just have to remember to not back down. The kids will see that and figure out quickly they will get their way if they push hard enough.

Chase24

Hold Their Hand. Or put them in the Stroller

We just took our 3 yr old son and he is just like any other 3 year old. My wife and I only take one approach to our son, one of us had him in tow by the hand or in the stroller at all times when we are in large crowds or at the Mall / Store(s). He may not like it and it may take some effort on our part, but we rest well.

Like stated before, let them rest well and run around away from the crowds, we did this at the resorts and our son really only was trouble later in the trip(and the plane home). Then the stroller worked to our advantage .

Have fun :wave:

RogueHabit

Well, as a seasoned set of this kind of situation all I can say is one thing; PATIENCE OF A SAINT!!!!

We learnt early on that without this you would be heading for the most stressful vacation ever. We first too our Son when he was 2 1/2 and with two of us to one of him it wasn't too bad, but when his sister popped out 5 years later, that's when all hell broke loose!!!!

The first time we went with them both she was only 13 months, so she was only just walking and a stroller was our best friend.

A year later she was fully mobile, but still used to be strapped in and wasn't too bad.

Last year, she'd just turned 3.... Oh Boy!!!! She was too damn fast, and she has learnt to undo the buckle on the stroller... We really had to keep our eyes peeled and be alert. We never lost her, but it sure could be hard work in queues.

So basically anything over a 30 minute wait and we'd come back later, this, we learned, was her queue wait threshold... All it took was a little planning. We still did everything we wanted, but didn't have to incovienience others with a disgruntled child who was bored of the queue area.

I wish others parents would be considerate, but many times they aren't so you have to deal with a noisy kid and the angry parent scolding them! :mad:

Atta83

moopdog said:

My DD will literally RUN from me, throw her body on floor in a fit, and scream "NO" at us occasionally. This has actually just come about recently and my DH were in SHOCK at her behavior at first, then we were embarrassed, now we're mad and a little nervous that this is her personality. Anyway, maybe it's a girl thing (please??) and an age thing (PLEASE?!) and she'll grow out of it soon. She definitely is headstrong, which I'm happy for since my DS is a little too easy-going, but this is ridiculous lately.

Yes, I can say she will grow out of it. My brother did the same thing when he was that age and now hes 18. I dont remember how long that remained.

All I have to say is use a double stroller and please dont use those leash things for your kids....I feel so bad for the kids I see in them.

DisneyWood

Double stroller!

Speaking from experience, we used our double stroller on our last trip and it was nice. However, trying to get on & off the bus is a completely different story. Take your time in the park, don't try & rush around b/c the children will be on sensory overload.

The nap is good in theory. Our children always woke up right before we laid them in their bed. So, we allowed them to sleep in the stroller at times. One of us would take the other child on a ride while the other got some rest. That actually worked out pretty well.

We are in the market for a triple stroller. Does anyone know of 1? Our next trip, we will definitely need this type, we have outgrown our double stroller a little sooner than originally anticipated.

Have a great trip. You children will have a ball.

wannab@dis

I don't want to get a leash war started, but let me just make one comment. How many have kids that just DO NOT want to hold your hand, but would gladly walk a couple of feet from your with a nylon strap connected to their back. I wasn't sure about them until I saw my SIL use one with my niece. She done great and would actually hand it to you to put on if they had taken it off. She loved to walk with it instead of riding in a stroller or holding hands.

Laura

First of all, you don't want to go any day without a stroller for both kids. The parks at Disney are so big even 8 year olds have trouble walking such long distances day after day. And of course, strollers are the best way to keep them close.

If it's just going to be you and your husband the double stroller will be your best bet I think. We brought a double stroller in July 3 weeks before my son turned 3 and a week after my daughter turned 1. The only things I didn't like about it was it has no storage, it was heavy, and it was difficult to maneuver in gift shops and getting on and off the trams and monorails. Last month when we went again there were more adults in the group so I brought 2 single strollers and it was tons easier.

As far as the age thing...I think toddlers change significantly around their 3rd birthday. As I said before, we went to Disney 3 weeks before my son turned 3 and he was an absolute ANGEL the whole time. Never whined, never complained, was just smiles all day (and this was in 100 degree heat too!). He LOVED Disney and had so much fun. And on our more recent trip he was 6 months older and loved it even more.

Oh, and I understand what you're going through with the strong willed little girl. My 20 month old is having the same attitude lately. Doesn't want to be held, or in a stroller, or in a high chair, just wants to run free. And she loves to throw herself on the ground and scream also. Our longest day in the parks on this last trip was at Epcot, so after the whole day of being in and out of the stroller my daughter was quite miserable. So while we were waiting for illuminations I had my son stay with my dad and I basically let my daughter run loose in World Showcase. I followed about 3 feet behind her. She had a blast running all over the place, she especially liked looking at the electric train (I forget what country that is).

But anyway good luck! As long as you have 1 adult for each child you should be fine!

Chase24

DisneyWood said:
So, we allowed them to sleep in the stroller at times. One of us would take the other child on a ride while the other got some rest. That actually worked out pretty well.

Stoller Naps are Great - Especially when your wife likes to zigzag around the park....:p

shoppingnut

When we took my nephew at 3 one of the things we did was every morning we would start the day when he woked up which was usualy about 8:30. I know some people feel they need to be out at the crack of dawn because THEY, not their children must see everything. The whole idea is that this is a vacation, not a road race and if the parents want to enjoy it as much as the kids, you need to slow the pace down so the kids don't get overloaded and have a meltdown. I have seen far too many meltdowns in the parks over the years. Before going into each park decide which rides/shows are the ones you want to see, that way after you complete those rides everything is just gravy and you won't feel disappointed because you will have met your goal. Plan an afternoon break if you are out early in the morning or if you decide you want to see the evening fireworks and spectro, make the first part of the day lounging at the hotel pool and start the day later in the parks. Since my nephew was a child who never left your side, we didn't have to worry about him running off, but before he became that way my sister used the wrist strap. They might not like it, but if it will give you peace of mind, that is all that matters.

Laura

Also, an alternative to taking an afternoon break is to just sleep in and go later in the day. We tried the afternoon break thing in July and it took so much energy to load the kids and the strollers in the van and get back to the hotel that our breaks made us more worn out! So on the last trip we just took it easy in the mornings and headed to the parks around 11 and then we didn't need to go back for a break during the day.

We have a 2.5 yr old and we are going to use the backpack and stroller. The backpack works great if you can handle the 30 lbs, I don't mind it, but my wife hates it. Definitely go back to the room for a nap or just a cool down. Let them soak in the park at their speed, don't try and do too much. I hate seeing parents at the parks forcing their kids to go faster or yelling at them for walking to slow or stopping. Just enjoy the family time together and have fun!

Yellow Shoes

I wouldn't dismiss the wrist strap thing without thinking it through a little.

In order for a toddler to hold your hand, his/her arm is above his/her head. (Take a good look next time)

Would you be comfortable with your arm above your head all day?

Neither is your toddler.

You both will be more comfortable and feel less encumbered if you can have both hands free.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom