How do we note a dietary restriction on an ADR in the "new" MDE format?

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Hey, all! I've clicked every which-a-way on the details for all of my ADRs and I no longer can find any options to modify the reservation to reflect a celebration and/or a food allergy.

Should we just let our server know about the allergies in our party when we arrive, or is there a way to do it that I'm missing? I haven't had to do this for over a year, so it's possible that it changed a long time ago and I'm just behind the 8-ball.

Last edited:

NYwdwfan

I had the option to select a special request or food allergy on the screen where they ask you to accept the terms and conditions.

Betsyboo

I haven't been able to note a celebration but like @NYwdwfan noted the special request screen popped up for each ADR I made online. I called in my celebrations.

Weather_Lady

Original Poster
Due to "problems with the sytem," I couldn't make my ADRs online and had to do it through the phone line instead.

Do you think it's worth it to call in something like my DH's shrimp/tree nut allergies ahead of time? (Frankly, I'm paranoid that somehow I'll lose the ADRs if they get "messed with" by a CM now.) Will this assist the restaurant staff to a greater extent than if we just tell them when we show up for our ADR, or doesn't it really matter when they find out? The advice of any current or former restaurant CMs would be appreciated...

NYwdwfan

From my phone:

002.jpg

NYwdwfan

@NYwdwfan, is this for an existing ADR? How did you get to that screen?

Nope - a new ADR. I put in some dummy information (Kona cafe for 2, breakfast, 1/16) and it gave me a choice of 3 times. After choosing a time it brought me to a screen listing my name and the ADR information, with an option to click for "special requests". After I clicked on that I got the screen shown above.

Betsyboo

Due to "problems with the sytem," I couldn't make my ADRs online and had to do it through the phone line instead.

Do you think it's worth it to call in something like my DH's shrimp/tree nut allergies ahead of time? (Frankly, I'm paranoid that somehow I'll lose the ADRs if they get "messed with" by a CM now.) Will this assist the restaurant staff to a greater extent than if we just tell them when we show up for our ADR, or doesn't it really matter when they find out? The advice of any current or former restaurant CMs would be appreciated...
I'd call it in but I'm overly cautious about the allergies. The chef will come out before you order regardless but it might speed things up instead of mentioning it when you get there.

GeekDad

I noted a food allergy for some ADRs on my trip in October last year and I still had to mention the allergy to our server. None of the servers seemed like that had that information ahead of time.

Gomer

On my last trip, we noted allergies on our reservations for all TS meals. Of our 7 meals, only 1 (Kona Cafe) actually had the information when we checked in. We were told by the cast members at Le Celier and Sci-Fi that they hardly ever receive that information and there is no difference to them if they know ahead of time or if you tell them when you check in. I don't know if this is true everywhere, but that is what I was told.

In my own anecdotal experience, the increase in allergy awareness and special diets these days has caused Disney to have the proper ingredients ready for the most common allergies/restrictions (nuts, shellfish, dairy, gluten) in recent years. Seven Years ago, when I first started travelling with my son who doesn't eat dairy or wheat ,the chefs used to have to prepare the day before to request the ingredients for him (or so we were told). That doesn't seem to be the case as much anymore.

This is all speculation based on my own experiences however. Your mileage may vary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom