How do Uber and Lyft drivers pickup on Disney Property?

Victor Kelly

Original Poster
I am contemplating becoming an Uber/Lyft driver soon, then moving to Orlando. I am very curious as to how drivers pick up and drop off on Disney property, parks and resorts.

Can anyone explain how this works if you know first hand?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
They drive in, show ID to the security at the gate and say they’re picking up. Then they pick up at the main entrance to the resort.

Victor Kelly

Original Poster
They do not pay fees to Disney? If not that is pretty awesome.

Been researching Uber and Lyft for the past few months. This past week was my first time using an Uber. The drivers were great and they pretty much convinced me to start driving for both. Seems like if you work hard and go go go, you come out on top just like any other work for yourself job.

Phonedave

They do not pay fees to Disney? If not that is pretty awesome.

Been researching Uber and Lyft for the past few months. This past week was my first time using an Uber. The drivers were great and they pretty much convinced me to start driving for both. Seems like if you work hard and go go go, you come out on top just like any other work for yourself job.

Just make sure you compare all aspects before you make gig work your full time work.

There are no benefits
Income is not guaranteed nor necessarily steady
Be sure to factor in all of your costs, not just fuel.

It may be a good job to supplement your income, but as an only source of income, it may be a risky. Or, maybe you have looked at it in detail and it is for you, who knows.

PeoplemoverTTA

Also keep in mind, as an independent contractor, you’ll have to pay your own taxes, they won’t be taken out for you. And your taxes will be about 50% (unscientific number there) higher while self employed, since you’ll be responsible for your own social security and other taxes you typically split with an employer. I’ve been self employed for 8 years, so I have learned a bit. The good news is, there are no state taxes in Florida, at least.

There are increased cost of living expenses, tolls, etc to consider as well. I’m sure you are considering all these, but the mom in me feels compelled to mention, sorry! 😂

Phonedave

I am going to try it for a week, then if it shows promise, a month. I am not going to put much faith in it because I have horrible luck.

I know of people (Know of, not know personally) that use rental cars for Uber.

After they factor in wear and tear, insurance, maintenance costs, finance costs, lost income due to downtime when their car is unavailable, etc. they come out ahead renting a car and using that for their Uber business.

Victor Kelly

Original Poster
I know of people (Know of, not know personally) that use rental cars for Uber.

After they factor in wear and tear, insurance, maintenance costs, finance costs, lost income due to downtime when their car is unavailable, etc. they come out ahead renting a car and using that for their Uber business.

That is what my math has come up with as well. I will still have insurance through my insurance company which will cover the car lease/ rental. This is the same thing most independent truckers do. Lease the vehicle. You also do not have to deal with depreciation.

And the more you hustle the better you do. And since I am unemployed, I can dedicate 10 to 12 hours a day to driving.

Victor Kelly

Original Poster
Also keep in mind, as an independent contractor, you’ll have to pay your own taxes, they won’t be taken out for you. And your taxes will be about 50% (unscientific number there) higher while self employed, since you’ll be responsible for your own social security and other taxes you typically split with an employer. I’ve been self employed for 8 years, so I have learned a bit. The good news is, there are no state taxes in Florida, at least.

There are increased cost of living expenses, tolls, etc to consider as well. I’m sure you are considering all these, but the mom in me feels compelled to mention, sorry! 😂

Yes all of that is going into a spreadsheet that compares cost of living in Maryland vs Florida. So far Florida is coming out ahead. Not just for taxes but for other activities that have nothing ti do with theme parks. I do a lot od competative shooting, and well, Florida is better than most northern states for that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom