How do they do it?

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
I'm not sure if this is the right section for the thread, so Steve - or whomever can - feel free to move it to it's proper location.

Okay, so... how do they do it? Is there a website, book, or something that gives descriptions on the techniques of the Imagineers? Techniques like sculpting, painting, etc. The way they paint something to make it look distressed, or sculpt (name of whatever they use) to make it look like another material; such as concrete to look like matel. Or even how they treat surfaces, so they won't fade as easily (assuming they do).

You guys know what I mean. I'll give you an example, and attach a photo to see what I mean.

This is a close-up of the sign at the newly opened 'Trader Sam's - Enchanted Tiki Bar' that I assume some of you - especially the Adventurers Club enthusiast like myself - are aware of. Now obviously, this is not a real, rum keg that they just hung up there by some rope. Look at the rope, the metal rings, and the tap. Look at the paint. The rope, is stationary, it'll be that way for probably ten years, and the metal (Is it metal?) won't rust.

5774581135_08a24ee0b7_o.jpg

How did they do it? What's the process? I hope y'all understand what I'm sayin'/asking.

Do they sculpt it all? If so, out of what? How do they treat it? And is there a place that tells us? Because I can't find one. Basically, in a nut shell, how do they do it? :veryconfu :wave:

spbink

I think a lot of the custom props and set dressing like that are made out of fiberglass. For things like the rope, it is probably coated in resin to keep it from the environmental wear and tear a rope would get by being exposed to the elements.

A lot of times people will make a sculpture out of something like clay, then make a mold of it, which is the negative of the sculpture, then inject fiberglass and resin into it to make the sculpture that looks like the clay model but is strong like fiberglass.

Smooth-on, a company that sells materials to companies that make stuff like this, have some videos showing things like this being made (though all with their products, so others might do it other ways). I can't post links yet, but google search smooth-on and go to the "how to" page.

Skipper Dan

Original Poster
That's awesome! Thanks! :wave:

But does anyone know of a book or something that explains the Imagineers techniueqs? If there's not anyone that knows on this board, I'm hopeless. :p

yensid67

I am assuming that signs and outdoor props are made from a RESIN and then scuplted to look like a certain prop, in this case a Rum Barrel hanging from a rope. I know that by watching a few Disney programs, like HGTV's My Backyard Goes Disney, all of their larger than life props started out as BIG slabs of STYROFOAM and then scuplted and painted...I would imagine this is more of what you see in the park props. If you really want to find books on this you may want to do a search...Disney Imagineering. I know there is a book out there, but for the ife of me I cannot remember the name. I am sure someone else knows, so just be patient and someone here will tell you that title and more! LOL!

spbink

Have you read Imagineering: A Behind the Magic Look at Making The Magic More Real? It talks some about the methods they use, but mostly at a high level, not a step by step detailed level.

There might not be a book specific to Imagineering's techniques (not to surprising since there are so many disciplines in Imagineering, and they often bring in the best in the field), but if something like making props is exciting to you, then there will be a lot of books about that aspect of it. There's the smooth-on site, but also classes from places like the Art Institute program that will teach techniques. I know the Art Institute of Pittsburgh has courses on sculpting, painting, treating materials, making fiberglass sculptures and animatronic figures, etc.

DancingPhoenix

I'm sorry for bumping an old thread but Art School. You can learn a lot of cool techniques with paint by taking painting classes or prop design.

SMPTE MOUSE

Walt Disney had a saying..."If you can touch it, make it real. If you can see it, make it last." Many of the props we all enjoy at WDW are made with this in mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom