How Do They Do It - OmniMover

WeirdOne

Original Poster
Can anyone explain to me how this type of ride works. How does the belt go around the curves? Is there a motor on the cars themselves? How do they rotate? Anything at all on this system of ride. Thanks So Much! - The WeirdOne :D

JenLUVSmickey

I believe this type of ride uses the same technology as the "People-Mover" created by disney some time ago.

there are fixed magnets on the cars themselves, and electro-magnets placed at specific intervals around the track.

the electro-magnets "pull" the cars from one magnet to the next. this is basically the same way that an actual motor works, only instead of turning in circles (the drive shaft of a motor) it moves in a straight line.

The Tommorrow Land Transit Authority works the same way... The Electro Magnets are quite noticable as metal blocks along the track.

This is also the same system used to "launch" the Aerosmith Rockin' Roller Coaster, only at higher speeds. (there, the electro-magnets are on the sides, and not the floor.

I believe this is how the Omnimover works.

from, jenluvsmickey's boyfriend

isnet396

Far from it...

Actually, its more of just a train on a track, except it is in a loop.

the motors are located under the track, and are located every few feet to keep the ride moving.

I'm somewhat confused about what you meant about how the belt goes around the curves. The load/unload belt is in a straight line, and is paralell to the track. It only covers the load/unload area. The wheel type of system found in spaceship earth is just a big wheel that rotates at the same speed as the cars. The arc of the circle is congruent to the arc of the track around it.

Ian

isnet396

Originally posted by JenLUVSmickey
I believe this type of ride uses the same technology as the "People-Mover" created by disney some time ago.

there are fixed magnets on the cars themselves, and electro-magnets placed at specific intervals around the track.

the electro-magnets "pull" the cars from one magnet to the next. this is basically the same way that an actual motor works, only instead of turning in circles (the drive shaft of a motor) it moves in a straight line.

The Tommorrow Land Transit Authority works the same way... The Electro Magnets are quite noticable as metal blocks along the track.

This is also the same system used to "launch" the Aerosmith Rockin' Roller Coaster, only at higher speeds. (there, the electro-magnets are on the sides, and not the floor.

I believe this is how the Omnimover works.

from, jenluvsmickey's boyfriend

Actually, you kind of described the LIM power used in RnR..not TTA.

TTA and JII (and all newer versions) worked on a friction based system. A motor is placed with a rotating wheel on top inbetween the two rails of the tracks and the wheel pushes the cars along. These motors are placed throughout the ride.

Ian

DCA Fan

Yup, basically there are tires placed along the track at certain points and they push the vehicle along. An example similar to this that is viewable is where a roller coaster is let out of the station, there are wheels that push the train out. Ok, that wasn't a good example, but I hope you get the point.

woofboy111

Originally posted by isnet396

Actually, you kind of described the LIM power used in RnR..not TTA.

TTA and JII (and all newer versions) worked on a friction based system. A motor is placed with a rotating wheel on top inbetween the two rails of the tracks and the wheel pushes the cars along. These motors are placed throughout the ride.

Ian

I think you may be getting a little confused. TTA does use electro magnets for power. The people mover that disneyland used to have had moters like on JII. Even when the tta was the people mover, they would tell you on the recording that it was powered by electromagnets.

For the onmi-mover rides...What about spaceship earth? What are those triangual things every few cars? are the motors?

isnet396

Well, on most omnimover systems, the audio is beamed through an IR system. In the case of SE, it was unable to be done like that because of the altitude of the ride. Each show scene transmiits a signal to the triangle thingy and then that sends the audio to each car individually. It is because of this that if the ride goes down (101), then the audio in a scene plays completly before the emergency spiel goes on.

Ian

cola_boy29

The omni-mover in Haunted Mansion uses "fins" under the doombuggies. I believe there are still 12 motors under the length of the track. On each of these are large wheels that the fins pass through and are pushed by. And it keeps going round, and round, and round.......

As for the audio in the dombuggies, that is picked up by an antenna located under every pair of cars. To prevent other pairs of cars from picking up all the audio on their frequency (there are 4 tracks to each audio zone so 4 different frequencies) the signal is very weak and the broadcasting antenna is laid right next to the pick-up antenna.

cloudboy

There is a book called Roller Coasters, Flumes and Flying Saucers by Robert Reynolds. It talks alot about how all the older rides at Disney were built.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom