How do they do it? Aimed mainly at Disney but also at Universal...

Musicman20

Original Poster
I had a strange moment the other day.

My last visit to Universal Orlando from the UK was October 2017.

My last Disneyworld visit was October 2016.

I did have a gap of around 10 years not visiting both parks, but I always remembered the feeling they gave you.

The other day, I put a Harry Potter lego game into my PS4 for the first time, and the music IMMEDIATELY put me in the queue/early stages of the Forbidden Journey. The Florida heat, the AC, the smell of the ride, the feel of the ride, the music, the actual ride itself. It made me feel really calm and happy!

It happens with Disney rides all the time. I'll think back and look at youtube videos and feel I'm back on SSE with the AC, smelling those scents, going up through the ride, relaxing.

It's the same with SO many Disneyworld attractions. Star Tours being one! Seems to happen more so the dark rides, like Haunted Mansion...

How do they make you feel so immersed and happy, without stress, and take you away to somewhere else away from work/problems/daily life?

Disney are masters of it, and Universal also do a good job especially with Potter. I can picture myself back there and just think 'I can't wait to go back'.

I've never had that with any other location or holiday in my life.

NickMaio

I totally agree.
Some imagineers have physchology and biochem degrees. Disney was the first theme park to immerse its guests into the theme areas and rides at a level never before experienced.
Both WDW and Uni do this exceptionally well.

They have you yearning to go back....almost jonesing for another tip. To escape the daily life and mundane.

We just left a few weeks ago and can't wait to start planning our next return trip.

belledream

For me, on the exterior, it's definitely the music, the props, foliage, scents, and all the things that do what they're supposed to do in transporting you to a certain place. On the interior, a big part of the draw has always been how 'inclusive' everything is in the parks. You walk through the gates and [for the most part] everything is open for you to experience if you so wish. Not arcade/carnival style where you might have to pay to enter, but then on top of that, make a decision on whether to pay to play. Or going someone foreign where you may have to work out slightly more complicated transportation, food, and/or safety plans, constantly weaving in and out of real world and vacation mode. At WDW, I feel like I am entering a world where everything is taken care of for me, and all I have to do is sit back, relax, and savor that overwhelming nostalgic feeling that I can't adequately explain to anyone else.

JIMINYCR

Disney knows the human brain takes in pleasurable information and stores it in your memory. Thinking about past trips and experiences that was pleasing to you, immediately gets your memory in gear and brings back the sights, sounds, and smells that you found pleasurable and enhances the desire to return to it. Every aspect of a Disney trip and encounter is planned and executed to get you, the guest, to spend your money and time at Disney. Disney wants your business and wants you to reccommend their parks to others. They continually work to deliver positive, memorable experiences to encourage guests to have the desire to return again and again. As they do this they want to impact children to grow up wanting to continue that pattern of vacationing their parents had with them. They utilize all sorts of stimuli that you will react to, to hit all of your senses and impact you favorably. They teach their CM's at every position and level how to act and respond to guests issues and needs in the Disney way, hoping to please the guests that come into contact with them. Theres nothing done that isnt planned out in advance to get you thinking and remembering Disney.

ColinP29

I had a strange moment the other day.

My last visit to Universal Orlando from the UK was October 2017.

My last Disneyworld visit was October 2016.

I did have a gap of around 10 years not visiting both parks, but I always remembered the feeling they gave you.

The other day, I put a Harry Potter lego game into my PS4 for the first time, and the music IMMEDIATELY put me in the queue/early stages of the Forbidden Journey. The Florida heat, the AC, the smell of the ride, the feel of the ride, the music, the actual ride itself. It made me feel really calm and happy!

It happens with Disney rides all the time. I'll think back and look at youtube videos and feel I'm back on SSE with the AC, smelling those scents, going up through the ride, relaxing.

It's the same with SO many Disneyworld attractions. Star Tours being one! Seems to happen more so the dark rides, like Haunted Mansion...

How do they make you feel so immersed and happy, without stress, and take you away to somewhere else away from work/problems/daily life?

Disney are masters of it, and Universal also do a good job especially with Potter. I can picture myself back there and just think 'I can't wait to go back'.

I've never had that with any other location or holiday in my life.

Clearly you've never been to Zante with the lads

pdiddy

It’s strange I start to feel the magic as soon as the wheels of the plane leave the tarmac. The thought of being lost in the magic of Disney and universal is an amazing relaxing feeling. That is why it’s so addictive well done Disney and universal but your very first trip is still the most memorable tho in my opinion

Musicman20

Original Poster
Clearly you've never been to Zante with the lads

No but I've had 3 holidays with a group of mates to Newquay. Not as hot or rough, but still a mint time.

I'm passed that age of lads holidays abroad; I'd rather go to a music festival in abroad to be honest. Disney/Universal cannot be beaten.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom