how do the centrifuges on m:s actually work?

severina

Original Poster
i've searched the forums and i can get some understanding that they spin, but i've seen the way they look, and i'm not sure how they move...

for example.. they turn you on your back before takeoff right? how then would you experience 2.5g's on takeoff from spinning while you're on your back? i would think that it would soemhow have to slowly go back to it's regular position (sitting up) to spin you like that one carnival ride Gravitron, where you stick to the wall......

does it turn in other directions? .. i'm just amazed at the centrifuge system and how you feel weightlessness and other sensations in the ride, but i'm not sure how they actually achieve this.

someone else said it moved side to side as well.. what do you mean by side to side?

michelle

The_CEO

Originally posted by severina
i've searched the forums and i can get some understanding that they spin, but i've seen the way they look, and i'm not sure how they move...

for example.. they turn you on your back before takeoff right? how then would you experience 2.5g's on takeoff from spinning while you're on your back? i would think that it would soemhow have to slowly go back to it's regular position (sitting up) to spin you like that one carnival ride Gravitron, where you stick to the wall......

does it turn in other directions? .. i'm just amazed at the centrifuge system and how you feel weightlessness and other sensations in the ride, but i'm not sure how they actually achieve this.

someone else said it moved side to side as well.. what do you mean by side to side?

michelle

You answered your own questions my friend :) Yup just equally sits you up and then it goes from there. Leans you forward and your weightless.

CTXRover

These are my guesses on how MS works.

For the lift off, I don't think the pod completely turns back to place you on your back. Rather, I think it is a combination of visuals, SLIGHTLY tilting the pod backwards and the beginning of the centrifuge spinning. In other words, you are being tricked to think you are on your back since that is what the screen is showing you as well as you feeling gravity pulling you down on your back (thanks to a mild spinning of the centrifuge) and not your butt.

For the weightless part, its a similar type thing. First, the relatively sudden release of the G- forces from the launch makes your body feel kind of weightless, in comparison. For instance, press your arms against a wall as hard as you can for 30+ seconds than let go really fast. Your arms will feel funny, almost weightless. Combined with tilting the pod slightly forward to make your body rest against the restraints, your mind is once again tricked into thinking your weightless.

During the asteroid scene I imagine the pod does tilt back and forward and left to right.

It really is a pretty amazing ride system when you sit back and try to figure it out. I would love to see it run from outside the pods. To think how it must be spinning, at different velocities at different times, coupled with the individual pods moving around. It would be cool to see.

ISTCrew20

Originally posted by CTXRover
These are my guesses on how MS works.

For the lift off, I don't think the pod completely turns back to place you on your back. Rather, I think it is a combination of visuals, SLIGHTLY tilting the pod backwards and the beginning of the centrifuge spinning. In other words, you are being tricked to think you are on your back since that is what the screen is showing you as well as you feeling gravity pulling you down on your back (thanks to a mild spinning of the centrifuge) and not your butt.

For the weightless part, its a similar type thing. First, the relatively sudden release of the G- forces from the launch makes your body feel kind of weightless, in comparison. For instance, press your arms against a wall as hard as you can for 30+ seconds than let go really fast. Your arms will feel funny, almost weightless. Combined with tilting the pod slightly forward to make your body rest against the restraints, your mind is once again tricked into thinking your weightless.

During the asteroid scene I imagine the pod does tilt back and forward and left to right.

It really is a pretty amazing ride system when you sit back and try to figure it out. I would love to see it run from outside the pods. To think how it must be spinning, at different velocities at different times, coupled with the individual pods moving around. It would be cool to see.

I have seen it spin from outside the pod. Usually, when Im standing on one of the numbers next to the exit door, just ask the CM if you can ppek thru the doors. Its AMAZING everyone coming off isnt sick. You would of never guessed it spun so insanely fast like that when your in there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom