How did they enforce the long hair policy at Disneyland back in the day?

DarthVader

Sith Lord
There were many businesses that had a customer dress code
I worked for an insurance company back in the day that required a blue or gray suit. Also when you left your cubicle for what ever reason you must have your suit jacket on. It was quite restrictive

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My first job - between high school and college - had a strict dress code. Women could wear pants suits, but not a pair of slacks and a dress shirt. Dresses, skirts/blouses, heels, hose. That is what we could wear. And hemlines had to hit the middle of your knee.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
main-qimg-52a15ebe90aef6eb142474218465c84d-c

How did they stop them? Same as always.

People who fear people who express individual thought will dress uniformly then beat non-conforming others.

Edit: photo of police actually trying to prevent hippies from entering Disneyland.
Thanks for clarifying. I thought maybe it was The Festival of the Wooden Club...

mergatroid

I read a book many years ago about Disneyland and it included a section about fights at Disneyland. There was a part about some point in the late 60's/early 70's where long haired men were viewed as trouble makers and there were gangs of them that would meet up and cause mayhem (similar to some of the chapters of the Hells Angels that used to). Apparently they had declared they were all going to meet up in the parking lot at Disneyland on a set day and in large numbers enter the parks.

Well Disneyland and the police got wind of this and on the day they were coming a large police presence was in the parking lot near the turnstiles. After getting in the park a pitched battle ensued with some cast members getting involved too. Sounds a bit far fetched in today's more tolerant society but there were many quotes from ex cm's telling the tale so I believe it to be true.

Just searched google & found this

The current wave of social clubs isn't the first time youth groups have swarmed Disneyland and made others uncomfortable. In the late 1960s, Disneyland dealt with hippies and anarchists, most infamously in the 1970 Yippie invasion of Disneyland, which saw hundreds of "long hairs" conquer Tom Sawyer Island, block major thoroughfares, get into fights with security and police, and force an early, unexpected closure—one of only two times Disneyland has officially closed early for a non-private event.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Your hair is not a protected class... hence businesses are allowed to discriminate based on it.

Businesses can deny people if they chose, they just can’t discriminate based on protected classes...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom