How crazy is registration day?

JohnByers

Original Poster
DW and I are working hard on a diet and getting into shape. I'm 2 weeks in and down 15 lbs from 265 and am aiming for 215 by the Wine & Dine Marathon weekend and run in the 5k there. We have scheduled 3 local 5k's along the way to get acclimated and used to the event and I know personally I am feeling great!

On registration day, is it one of those type of registrations I should be at my keyboard five min early and ready to register as soon as it opens?

And secondly is the runDisney room discount any better than a room discount we may get for having AP's?

TIA and sorry for the noob questions

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
DW and I are working hard on a diet and getting into shape. I'm 2 weeks in and down 15 lbs from 265 and am aiming for 215 by the Wine & Dine Marathon weekend and run in the 5k there. We have scheduled 3 local 5k's along the way to get acclimated and used to the event and I know personally I am feeling great!

On registration day, is it one of those type of registrations I should be at my keyboard five min early and ready to register as soon as it opens?

And secondly is the runDisney room discount any better than a room discount we may get for having AP's?

TIA and sorry for the noob questions

Sign up for the email notification reminder for the race on the runDisney website. APs/DVC members typically have an early registration option one week before regular registration. For races with a challenge option (run 10k and half), that option seems to be one of the first to be sold out. If the race you want gets closed during early registration, don't worry. Not all available slots for a particular race are available during early registration, so try again when regular registration opens up... but do it as soon as possible to get a spot.

I've never used the runDisney room discount since l'm DVC. As the Jingle Jungle is run in the Animal Kingdom, if you can, get a room in the Animal Kingdom Lodge or the closest Disney resort you can afford. You typically have to board the transportation bus no later than 1.5 - 2 hours prior to race time in order to make it to your assigned race corral before the race starts. And then, depending on your corral assignment, you may not start running until 30-45 minutes after the official start time of the race.

I talked with some of the runners in this past weekend's Princess Half Marathon. Even though the official guide said to board transportation no later than 4:00 am (race was at 5:30 am), they said that if you didn't board the bus at 3:00 am, waiting until the 4:00 am time, you probably wouldn't have gotten to your assigned corral in time to start the race with your assigned group.

Good luck!

dreamfinder

Yes, you want to be ready in advance to register. No doubt about it. The transportation is only offered from certain official event hotels (for some races, it's all of them), so keep that in mind when looking at discounts. Any discount that runDisney used to offer was typically on par with the AAA ones, so normally like 10-15%. But lately most of the discounts have really been more travel packages through whatever group they are working with. So you may not even have that as an option.

Texas84

@JohnByers very important point from @dreamfinder. Not all resorts have transportation for W&D. From last year's guide:

resorts.jpg

LAKid53

Premium Member
@JohnByers very important point from @dreamfinder. Not all resorts have transportation for W&D. From last year's guide:

View attachment 131974

@JohnByers, @Texas84 is right. The runDisney website lists the host resorts for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon and, yes, not all the Disney resorts are hosts. Here's the list:

DISNEY VALUE RESORTS
Packages start as low as $110 per person for a two night stay.

DISNEY MODERATE RESORTS
Packages start as low as $152 per person for a two night stay.

DISNEY DELUXE RESORTS
Packages start as low as $299 per person for a two night stay.

DISNEY DELUXE VILLA RESORTS
Packages start as low as $345 per person for a two night stay.

Which is a bummer for me because I'm a DVC member and neither of my home resorts is on this list, so I'm going to have to wait until April to book, when my 7 month window opens up. And I don't need tickets, since I'm an AP.

JasonDeyoung

Yes, ev horror story you've heard of reg is true lol but if you are dvc or an ap holder you can signup a week early and it's not as crazy. I have an ap and have had pretty easy sign ups with out registration window. Best of luck

LAKid53

Premium Member
Early registration for AP/DVC members for the Wine & Dine Half Marathon starts Tuesday, March 8th and ends at 8:00 PM on Monday, March 14th. I've noted it on my calendar.

The DVC website lists the early registration windows for all runDisney events through the Tinkerbell Half Marathon weekend in Disneyland in 2017. Here they are:

Gain access to early registration one week before the general public. Here's a list of the upcoming registration dates for the 2016/2017 race series:

Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend
Event Dates: November 4–5, 2016
Early Registration Starts: Tuesday, March 8, 2016
Early Registration Ends: Monday, March 14, 2016 at 8:00 PM Eastern Time

Avengers Super Heroes Half Marathon Weekend
Event Dates: November 10–13, 2016
Early Registration Starts: Tuesday, March 29, 2016
Early Registration Ends: Monday, April 4, 2016 at 8:00 PM Eastern Time

Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna®
Event Dates: January 4–8, 2017
Early Registration Starts: Tuesday, April 19, 2016
Early Registration Ends: Monday, April 25, 2016 at 8:00 PM Eastern Time

Star Wars™ Half Marathon at Disneyland Resort
Event Dates: January 12–15, 2017
Early Registration Starts: Tuesday, June 7, 2016
Early Registration Ends: Monday, June 13, 2016 at 8:00 PM Eastern Time

Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend
Event Dates: February 23–26, 2017
Early Registration Starts: Tuesday, July 5, 2016
Early Registration Ends: Monday, July 11, 2016 at 8:00 PM Eastern Time

Star Wars™ Half Marathon – The Dark Side at Walt Disney World Resort
Events Dates: April 20–23, 2017
Early Registration Starts: Tuesday, August 2, 2016
Early Registration Ends: Monday, August 8, 2016 at 8:00 PM Eastern Time

Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend presented by PANDORA® Jewelry
Events Dates: May 11–14, 2017
Early Registration Starts: Tuesday, September 13, 2016
Early Registration Ends: Monday, September 19, 2016 at 8:00 PM Eastern Time

Texas84

And there have been a few times I couldn't early register because slots are limited and they sold out too fast. When that happened I was always able to get in on regular registration but I was sitting at the computer right at opening.

Greenlawler

I have never been shut out like Texas 84 said if I was in front of my computer.
I have heard "stories". How true they are I am not sure? I have heard people talk about how they were shut out of the Princess or Wine and Dine even when they were online at registration start. I would imagine this had more to do with their connection than anything.

However I have debated registering too long on registration day. Happened to me for this years Dark Side. I finally decided a few hours after registration and it was gone. So I went the charity route.

JohnByers

Original Poster
Another noob question. The finish line party, just open to half and full marathon entrants? Or are the lowly 5k and 10k participants allowed? ;):p

MickeyMomV

Thanks for all the help everyone! I am excited to do my first Disney 5k! CBR and PO are our families fav resorts!
Its so exciting to do your first one and they are so addictive!!! My first one was the ToT 10 mile in 2013. My DH and DS did the 5K that weekend as my DS was only 8. They were a little disappointed to find out the "medal" was made of rubber for the 5k. Now, we all do the 10k together, the Princess last year and the Dark Side next month. Making a plan to do both Star Wars 1/2 races in 2017 to get the coast to coast!!

Good luck on your training and CONGRATS on your progress so far.

dreamfinder

Another noob question. The finish line party, just open to half and full marathon entrants? Or are the lowly 5k and 10k participants allowed? ;):p

Depends on the particular event in question. For W&D, only half marathon entrants get the party admission included in their registration fee. Anyone else is welcome to purchase a ticket for the party, but 5k/10k don't get it for free. For Marathon weekend, the "party" just takes place at Disney Springs, so anyone is able to walk around and do whatever is going on.

surfsupdon

The only event left with a true after party is the Wine and Dine. Back in the day, the Everest Challenge and both versions of the Tower Race included after parties inside the Park that they finished. Till the wee hours of the morning!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom