How come theres not many Single Rider lines at WDW?

jonmar

Original Poster
Ok, I have a great idea.

First off let me just start this off saying that on my recent visit to Orlando, about 5 days ago, I went to Universal Studios and IOA. They have a similar fast pass system, but what makes theres better is that you can get up to 3 fastpasses at once if you have a 2 or 3 day pass. This cut lines dramatically. My family of 4 and I toured the whole Islands of adventure riding the Hulk twice, the other coasters 2 times, SPiderman and Jurassic Park. We skipped the water rides but there were no wait for them. It ran extra smoothly and only took 3 and a half hours tops (Plus we had lunch). Now my opinion of why Waiting in Lines are cut - SINGLE RIDERS and every ride has an "Express Pass." Almost every ride had a single riders line, which cut waiting in line about 45 mins or more at some cases. Why doesnt disney have more? Someone give me a good reason. I dont want to here that they cant because I know they can. Also, how come you cant have more than one fast pass within an hour like you can at US? I am an operations major and this is a topic we study - Waiting in lines and how to minimize it, not for rides persay but for anything. If Disney realized that it does not cost money to add an extra line and minimize wait times then they are very blind to making people happy and are only worried about profit. Bad move. I understand that adding fastpasses to every ride could be more expensive but the single riders line, not costly at all. I also understand that not every ride needs one. Here are a list of the following rides that would benefit from having a single rider line:

Space Mountain
Tower of Terror
Star Tours
Body Wars
The Land
Maelstrom
Dinosaur
Killamenjaro Safaries
Kali River Rapids

Some work out much better than others but you get my point.

disneydudette

Originally posted by jonmar
Also, how come you cant have more than one fast pass within an hour like you can at US?

they're trying to work on that....I agree with you...I like IOA express pass thing a lot better....

Space Mountain
Tower of Terror
Star Tours
Body Wars
The Land
Maelstrom
Dinosaur
Killamenjaro Safaries
Kali River Rapids
These rides could use single rider lines...especially SpM...since it has the 3 seats....
But where would they but the line.....in most cases all the line que(sp?) space is already taken up by stand-by and fastpass.....so thats prop. why they don't have it.....

Sherm00

Ok, I have a great idea.

First off let me just start this off saying that on my recent visit to Orlando, about 5 days ago, I went to Universal Studios and IOA. They have a similar fast pass system, but what makes theres better is that you can get up to 3 fastpasses at once if you have a 2 or 3 day pass. This cut lines dramatically. My family of 4 and I toured the whole Islands of adventure riding the Hulk twice, the other coasters 2 times, SPiderman and Jurassic Park. We skipped the water rides but there were no wait for them. It ran extra smoothly and only took 3 and a half hours tops (Plus we had lunch). Now my opinion of why Waiting in Lines are cut - SINGLE RIDERS and every ride has an "Express Pass." Almost every ride had a single riders line, which cut waiting in line about 45 mins or more at some cases. Why doesnt disney have more? Someone give me a good reason. I dont want to here that they cant because I know they can. Also, how come you cant have more than one fast pass within an hour like you can at US? I am an operations major and this is a topic we study - Waiting in lines and how to minimize it, not for rides persay but for anything. If Disney realized that it does not cost money to add an extra line and minimize wait times then they are very blind to making people happy and are only worried about profit. Bad move. I understand that adding fastpasses to every ride could be more expensive but the single riders line, not costly at all. I also understand that not every ride needs one. Here are a list of the following rides that would benefit from having a single rider line:

Space Mountain
Tower of Terror
Star Tours
Body Wars
The Land
Maelstrom
Dinosaur
Killamenjaro Safaries
Kali River Rapids

Some work out much better than others but you get my point.

First off I completely disagree. getting 3 or more express passes just makes them run out quicker. when we were there spiderman ran out of fastpasses by noon. and some machine areas have more then 1 ride attached to them. like when we rode men in black we decided to get an express pass, and then go do something else while it expired. we waited 15 minutes on line to get it. ok so we did something else came back got online and waited 20 minutes in the express pass lane. thats 35 minutes. the wait time on the standby line was only 30 so basicially we waisted 5 minutes plus the time it took us to find the machine because it isn't in front of any particular attraction. MIB was out of express passes at about 3:00. so that means the family that decides to park hop will not be able to use express pass in the evening. at disney the hour wait time spaces the people at better intervils and gives everybody the oppertunity to get a fastpass. at 5:00 in the afternoon you could still find fastpasses to alot of the top attractions. the only one that was out eairly was test track. now at disney you can get a fastpass 5 minutes after the otherone becomes effective. this let us plan very nicely. what we did was got fastpasses for peter pan went a rode buzz lightyear by the time we finished buzz the fastpass was going to expire for peter pan, we went and got fastpasses for pooh rode peter pan, since peter pan isn't that long we were able to go and ride it's a small world then we walked over and got a fastpass for something else then went to get on pooh. so in about less then 2 hours we rode 5 rides or close to it. and we didn't have to worry that we wern't going to get to the other side of the park to get a fast pass because disney spaces them out enough to give everyone an equal chance and maintain the crowds. and getting a fastpass is easy jut plug your ticket in and go. thats it no muss no fuss. there were alot of confused people in universal trying to use express pass. so ease of use plays a big factor. I would like every attraction at disney to have fastpass. fastpass is great, express pass needs some work.

mbro2002

A major reason for the lack of Single Rider lines is the lack of space. In my time at Dinosaur, we played with the idea, but never were able to find a way to make the line work. The majority of buildings at WDW were designed for one line, but now accomodate two for Fastpass. Adding a third often isn't possible or practical.

Also, as a Florida resident I would make the comment that Universal doesn't have near the crowds that WDW has, so they have more freedom with how they can operate Express. I have gone into IOA many times and seen attendance levels so low that most of the attractions (except spiderman and hulk) are walk-ons. My point is that even WITHOUT Express, the lines would be much shorter. Disney is working hard to improve Fastpass, but issuing multiple tickets probably isn't an option because the only results would be more attractions running out of Fastpasses early and LONGER waits. Because of the greater amount of people at WDW, they need to be more careful in rationing out Fastpasses.

dxwwf3

I totally agree with those that believe that there shouldnt be but one FastPass allowed at a time. The crowd difference between UO and WDW is extremely large. You can ride anything (except maybe Spiderman) at IOA after around 4pm as a walk on. This goes for Hulk too. It might say 20 min wait but will end up being less usually.

The Single Rider Lines are the reason I visit IOA every year. If it wasn't for those lines I would only go once every two or three years. I wont leave the park unless I get my 10 Hulk rides in :) And I am very glad to see that Mission Space will have one. Most Disney attractions wouldn't really benefit from a single rider line. I believe Space Mountain would benefit the most though. Rides like Kali River Rapids and Rock N Roller Coaster probably dispatch so fast that putting a SRL in would probably increase wait times for Standby and FastPass lines. I may be wrong but this is just what I think.

One last note on SRL's. Has anyone else noticed how Test Track's works awful now. Sometimes you end up waiting longer in it than you would the Standby line. I know because I have seen people that got in line the same time as me pass me up in the Standby. It used to work so well when it was on the left side of the building but now they do not run it nearly as well. I only got to ride TT one time this trip compared to the usual 10 or 11. Of course the rain had something to do with that too :animwink: I hope that Mission Space's SRL works good and I hope they fix Test Track's.

mrtoadRIP

the reason for disney using the single rider line is because TT ride configuration 3-3 therefore for every group of two, a single rider is needed. asides from space mountain, which is essentially a single rider already, the other rides have even number configurations. so if there were single rider lines for these other attractions they may move at the pace of a turtle.

Sketch105

I fully agree with all of you. I love the single riders line. One thing that bothers me is at IOA, they shut down the single riders lines when the attraction backs up to an hour.

I chose to go to IOA on the wrong day this summer. It was "Middle School Day" or something. Thousands of kids in similiar t-shirts running around the park. Spiderman got backed up to an hour wait, and I went to use the single riders line, only to find the sign had been switched around and the entrance blocked off. Being an actual single rider (there are no other riders attached to me) and not having an entire family behind me, I was quite angry with the fact that there were probably plenty of cars going out with single seats. So I turned around to get a "Universal Express", and the machines had been sold out for Spiderman.

Busch Gardens also needs to catch up. I rode Montu about 20 times, but I employed a little trick. They allow you to pick what seats you want, so everyone divvies up into the queues for each row. Instead of waiting in the first line for the front seats (about a half hour wait) I'd get in the second row seat queue (5 minute wait), then sneak into the first row whenever a group of three got on. It worked out, and the CMS and other guests at the ride were fine with supporting me. I had a Spanish family egging me on to get certain seats. Only one guy gave me gruff, but that was because he didn't understand why i was trying to get ahead of him ( to get out the gate).

The best attraction I've experienced with a single riders line is the MiB attraction at USF. MiB cars have two rows of 3, so often theres a lot of single seats. Plus, the single riders queue is tucked away, not to attract too many families who want to split apart. Only problem is you miss the lovely replica of the MiB headquarters inside, and the neat "elevator" effect.

I definetly feel that more attractions, like Dinosaur (Countdown to Extinction!!!) need a single riders line. Only problem is finding a way to design the queue areas. I respect the men who have to tangle their brains in finding how to snake three lines through a show building, trying to find the most efficient way of loading up a ride queue.

Single Riders definelty cut ride times down, and it helps on certain attractions where vehicles are designed with odd numbers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom