Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing trip planning help : )

dizneeboy

Original Poster
Hi folks! My friend and I want to plan a China disney trip next year with an additional stop in Beijing to see the great wall. I've been searching forums and the net to look for some trip planning suggestions but coming up short. We are looking for suggestions on what order to see the 3 areas (where to fly in and out of) and how long to stay in each city if we want to get a full disney experience while having a little time to explore the area/culture (is 3-4 days enough for highlights?). Is it best to stay at a disney hotel for Hong Kong and Shanghai as the home base and venture out from there?

If it is better to just reach out to a travel agency, ok with that too. Just thought I'd start with the fan base if possible. Thanks all!

GiveMeTheMusic

Hi folks! My friend and I want to plan a China disney trip next year with an additional stop in Beijing to see the great wall. I've been searching forums and the net to look for some trip planning suggestions but coming up short. We are looking for suggestions on what order to see the 3 areas (where to fly in and out of) and how long to stay in each city if we want to get a full disney experience while having a little time to explore the area/culture (is 3-4 days enough for highlights?). Is it best to stay at a disney hotel for Hong Kong and Shanghai as the home base and venture out from there?

If it is better to just reach out to a travel agency, ok with that too. Just thought I'd start with the fan base if possible. Thanks all!

You should allow two full days to visit Shanghai Disneyland (add a third if you're really slow or into every detail), and 2-3 days to see the city. For Hong Kong Disneyland, one full day is enough unless you're like me and really want to take time for details and stuff, in which case two days is plenty. You need 3-4 days to see Hong Kong itself.

Staying at a Disney hotel in Shanghai is fine, there's a train station on property that can take you to the downtown area pretty easily. I don't think staying at a Disney hotel in Hong Kong is a great idea, as it's pretty isolated and part of the fun of Hong Kong is being in the city. I recommend staying in the Central or Wan Chai neighborhoods, just make sure you're within walking distance of an MTR station.

You'll get a lot of great details and advice at tdrexplorer.com and disneytouristblog.com.

dizneeboy

Original Poster
You should allow two full days to visit Shanghai Disneyland (add a third if you're really slow or into every detail), and 2-3 days to see the city. For Hong Kong Disneyland, one full day is enough unless you're like me and really want to take time for details and stuff, in which case two days is plenty. You need 3-4 days to see Hong Kong itself.

Staying at a Disney hotel in Shanghai is fine, there's a train station on property that can take you to the downtown area pretty easily. I don't think staying at a Disney hotel in Hong Kong is a great idea, as it's pretty isolated and part of the fun of Hong Kong is being in the city. I recommend staying in the Central or Wan Chai neighborhoods, just make sure you're within walking distance of an MTR station.

You'll get a lot of great details and advice at tdrexplorer.com and disneytouristblog.com.

This is great info. Thanks for the quick reply! Any suggestions on the great wall and travel in between each stop? Should we fly in or out of Beijing or just do a side trip up via train? Thanks again.

GiveMeTheMusic

This is great info. Thanks for the quick reply! Any suggestions on the great wall and travel in between each stop? Should we fly in or out of Beijing or just do a side trip up via train? Thanks again.

I haven't been to Beijing so I can't help you there. Good luck though!

jaxonp

Hey, I just did a trip to those very places earlier this year.

Shanghai: We flew into Shanghai and stayed in the city for 3 days. I honestly couldn't tell you what I liked about Shanghai and I'm not sure if it's because I was trying to catch up from the jet lag or if the city itself didn't wow me because of the smog. Its worth seeing, for sure, and some areas are pretty neat so I need to go back, without the jet lag to truly give my impression. The city is huge, we stayed a few blocks off the bund near a metro stop. Do use public transportation there. It is cheap and it's very very good. We then stayed one night at each hotel at Shanghai Disneyland. The park is huge, but there doesn't seem to be that much to do so 2 days should be more than enough. I actually preferred the toy story hotel to the Disneyland hotel and we had a castle park view but unfortuently the smog made the view less than spectacular. Now here is where I wish I had done something differently. We flew from Shanghai to Beijing on the earliest flight. I think it was like 7am..

Beijing: We got into Beijing around 9am or so and were to our hotel downtown Beijing by 10am. We stayed at the beautiful Hotel Jen by Shangra la. It's brand new and in a high rise across from the famous CCTV building "the pants" . We spent our first day doing the must sees: Tianamen Squae, The Forbidden City and the surrounding area.. We didn't do too much this night as I was sick and tired trying to fight off a slight cold I had picked up my last day at Shanghai Disney. The next day was up and early at 5am.. this is the reason we came to Beijing. The Great Wall. It had rained all night so we woke up to the most beautiful sunny sky. We hired a highly recommended private driver to take us to the wall. He suggested we leave at 6 or 7 to get to the wall before the buses of people show up so we left at 6! Our driver spoke great english and was a pleasure to be around. We got to the wall with maybe 3 or 4 other people there. It was our private time on the wall we joked. It lives up to the hype. In fact of all the major things I've seen in the world, which is a decent amount, its my favorite. It's truly incredible experience but its a lot of climbing steep steps up and down. Buyer beware. After the wall we headed back to beginning to see the Temple of Heaven before heading to the airport that night for a flight to Hong Kong.

Hong Kong: We stayed at the lovely Cordis Hotel in Mong Kok. It's right on the MTR Mong Kok stop that can literally take you everywhere and anywhere. Hong Kong MTR is the best subway in the world. It's super clean, fast, cheap and organized! Hong Kong is an incredible city. It blows Shanghai and Beijing away, imo. We were here for 3 nights before heading over to one night at Hong Kong Disneyland Explorer Lodge. This hotel is awesome and the views out the back are stunning. Hong Kong Park itself is a little underwhelming with not a lot to do but it is the most beautiful castle park you will ever see from a natural settings perspective. To be surrounded by the mountains in that tropical climate is truly amazing. One day is more than enough here.

From there we fly to Tokyo for 12 days of fun.... We did all the asian parks.. love them all in different ways... Shanghai is my least favorite though... Let me know if there is anything specific I can help you with!

dizneeboy

Original Poster
Hey, I just did a trip to those very places earlier this year.

Shanghai: We flew into Shanghai and stayed in the city for 3 days. I honestly couldn't tell you what I liked about Shanghai and I'm not sure if it's because I was trying to catch up from the jet lag or if the city itself didn't wow me because of the smog. Its worth seeing, for sure, and some areas are pretty neat so I need to go back, without the jet lag to truly give my impression. The city is huge, we stayed a few blocks off the bund near a metro stop. Do use public transportation there. It is cheap and it's very very good. We then stayed one night at each hotel at Shanghai Disneyland. The park is huge, but there doesn't seem to be that much to do so 2 days should be more than enough. I actually preferred the toy story hotel to the Disneyland hotel and we had a castle park view but unfortuently the smog made the view less than spectacular. Now here is where I wish I had done something differently. We flew from Shanghai to Beijing on the earliest flight. I think it was like 7am..

Beijing: We got into Beijing around 9am or so and were to our hotel downtown Beijing by 10am. We stayed at the beautiful Hotel Jen by Shangra la. It's brand new and in a high rise across from the famous CCTV building "the pants" . We spent our first day doing the must sees: Tianamen Squae, The Forbidden City and the surrounding area.. We didn't do too much this night as I was sick and tired trying to fight off a slight cold I had picked up my last day at Shanghai Disney. The next day was up and early at 5am.. this is the reason we came to Beijing. The Great Wall. It had rained all night so we woke up to the most beautiful sunny sky. We hired a highly recommended private driver to take us to the wall. He suggested we leave at 6 or 7 to get to the wall before the buses of people show up so we left at 6! Our driver spoke great english and was a pleasure to be around. We got to the wall with maybe 3 or 4 other people there. It was our private time on the wall we joked. It lives up to the hype. In fact of all the major things I've seen in the world, which is a decent amount, its my favorite. It's truly incredible experience but its a lot of climbing steep steps up and down. Buyer beware. After the wall we headed back to beginning to see the Temple of Heaven before heading to the airport that night for a flight to Hong Kong.

Hong Kong: We stayed at the lovely Cordis Hotel in Mong Kok. It's right on the MTR Mong Kok stop that can literally take you everywhere and anywhere. Hong Kong MTR is the best subway in the world. It's super clean, fast, cheap and organized! Hong Kong is an incredible city. It blows Shanghai and Beijing away, imo. We were here for 3 nights before heading over to one night at Hong Kong Disneyland Explorer Lodge. This hotel is awesome and the views out the back are stunning. Hong Kong Park itself is a little underwhelming with not a lot to do but it is the most beautiful castle park you will ever see from a natural settings perspective. To be surrounded by the mountains in that tropical climate is truly amazing. One day is more than enough here.

From there we fly to Tokyo for 12 days of fun.... We did all the asian parks.. love them all in different ways... Shanghai is my least favorite though... Let me know if there is anything specific I can help you with!

This is fantastic. Thanks so much. I'll send you a message if any questions pop up as we plan. Thanks for offering that up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom