Honey, I Shrunk the Kids playground closing for refurbishment in January 2011

Tybee

So they change all the signage from "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Playground" to "A Bug's Life Playground." Boom. It's Pixar Place.

:animwink:

Denscott

I hate this attraction...it's so easy to lose your kid in here when it's packed. We lost track of our 5 year old son for 20 scary minutes because he went in the tunnels and came out a different exit than where we were at. As we were frantically searching I heard at least 3 other parents also looking for their kids...

NadieMasK2

I hate this attraction...it's so easy to lose your kid in here when it's packed. We lost track of our 5 year old son for 20 scary minutes because he went in the tunnels and came out a different exit than where we were at. As we were frantically searching I heard at least 3 other parents also looking for their kids...

Happened to us, too, when our 21 yr old was 4. Shows you how old this attraction is!! It does need to be redesigned to address this issue - we were totally panicked. It was close to 30 minutes before we found her (of course she had no idea she was lost, just playing).

Tybee

Oh, I don't know. When I was a little kid, the HISTK playground didn't exist, but Tom Sawyer's island certainly did, and one of the best parts of that was being able to successfully ditch your parents. ;)

But yeah, I can see how this would be scary for parents.

kennygman

I don't understand...there is only one entrance and only one exit???:shrug:

rpk4444

How long would it actually take for them to change it over to Bug's Life?
It would be cool.
As for loosing kids in there, I've been there. I think everone has lost someone in there. I lost my wife in there but, I didn't try to find her.

NadieMasK2

The slides have multiple exits and it's big enough you can't see where the child came out. When it's crowded, it's difficult to maneuver around to try and find them. By the time you get to where you think they may have exited they have moved on to another area. It's like the kid transporter! For a parent of a toddler this can be terrifying - you don't know if they left with someone else or if they are still there beaming from one spot to another.

spectromagic04

All right in January you have star tours down, play ground and the backlot tour are all down during this time. Thats all most half the park down.

rct247

All right in January you have star tours down, play ground and the backlot tour are all down during this time. Thats all most half the park down.

Not to mention cuts in the American Idol shows, seasonal operation of certain eating places like Min & Bills Dockside Diner. If RnRC is still having issues... plus does Sounds Dangerous really qualify as an attraction?

At least there will be a new parade and Playhouse Disney won't be down at the same exact time.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Oh, I don't know. When I was a little kid, the HISTK playground didn't exist, but Tom Sawyer's island certainly did, and one of the best parts of that was being able to successfully ditch your parents. ;)

But yeah, I can see how this would be scary for parents.

I have seen panicked parents at both HISTK and the Boneyard at DAK. Both are designed with slides, tunnels, ramps and bridges that can lead where you don't expect them to. But the secreet to both as as kenny says -- there is only one way out of the playground itself, so while you might lose your kid in the playground, he/she can't get out of it without you seeing if you watch the exit. Rather unfortunately, panicked parents don't always think logically, and I have comforted several little kids who wandered out of those playgrounds looking for mom and dad while mom and dad were lost in the tunnels.

And I agree that TSI is way more dangerous for being able to lose parents. Of course there is only one way off the island, but that's a big place.

But if you really want to be scared of losing your kid, try DLP. The equivalent of TSI there (Adventure Isle) can be reached (and exited) by several bridges, and the paths and tunnels are just as confusing as TSI. Only there have I ever truly feared losing my kid at a Disney play area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom