Hollywood Studios table service or leave the park

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I'm looking into the table service restaurants that we want to check out during our next trip. Tbh, I'm not a huge fan of any of them, but maybe i'm missing something. Might be best to go to a near by restaurant possibly at Boardwalk? Thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Marionnette

The resort restaurants are better than most of the in-park HS restaurants by far. I recommend Topolino at the Riviera if you want easy access to/from HS. It's a short ride away via the Skyliner. Great food and a much more relaxing atmosphere than any of the restaurants in HS.

Other options include taking a boat from HS to the Dolphin for a great steak dinner at Shula's or Il Mulino at the Swan. You can also boat to the Boardwalk for Trattoria al Forno or Flying Fish. If you want something a little more casual, you can boat to the BC for Cafe May Cafe (buffet style) or Beaches and Cream (diner style menu with a big emphasis on ice cream desserts).

If you don't mind the additional travel time via bus, then Toledo at the CSR tower is very good, as is Citrico's at the GF.

DisneyWall-E

I want to say most people enjoy 50's Prime Time Cafe, if not for the food than the atmosphere. My family has been there several times over the years and always enjoyed it. Next would be SciFi Dine in. IMHO food not as good as 50's but the theme is awesome.

christine7257

I love Brown Derby but, certainly, if menus don't appeal, definitely worth seeking out alternatives. Not clear what meal (lunch or dinner) you're thinking about. A lot of the spots at the Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach are dinner only -- but a few gems for lunch - Beaches & Cream, The Fountain, Ale & Compass. Almost everything is great for dinner - Flying Fish, Shula's, bluezoo, Il Mulino etc. If willing to hop on the skyliner, I think the food at Riviera is terrific. Primo Piatto is their quick serve, Bar Riva their pool bar, and Topolino's takes walk-ups in the lounge for dinner. Food is fantastic at all three.

StantonZ

We seem to be eating at HS more than any other park the last few months...so here are some sit-down recommendations.
Mama Melrose is a "must eat" (if you like Italian at all)...and it's probably one of the best values in all of WDW (lots of food for not lots of $). The caesar salad and bread are fantastic.
Woody's Roundup BBQ is also great (assuming you like BBQ)...but maybe one of the worst values in all of WDW (however it is "all you can eat"). A tip if you go there: don't forget to ask for the salmon and the chocolate moose dessert is fantastic.
We have really been enjoying Sci-Fi Diner lately, but not for what you think (burgers): we love the chicken salad sandwich! Another tip: you can sub a small/child's salad for your side dish if you don't want fries.
The only other sit-down restaurant I would recommend is 50's Prime-Time Cafe (recommended above); lots of good things on the menu (I go for the salmon).

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I love Brown Derby but, certainly, if menus don't appeal, definitely worth seeking out alternatives. Not clear what meal (lunch or dinner) you're thinking about. A lot of the spots at the Swan, Dolphin, Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach are dinner only -- but a few gems for lunch - Beaches & Cream, The Fountain, Ale & Compass. Almost everything is great for dinner - Flying Fish, Shula's, bluezoo, Il Mulino etc. If willing to hop on the skyliner, I think the food at Riviera is terrific. Primo Piatto is their quick serve, Bar Riva their pool bar, and Topolino's takes walk-ups in the lounge for dinner. Food is fantastic at all three.
Thanks! This meal would be dinner.

JIMINYCR

Do you want to experience the atmosphere and theming? If it’s only the meal that counts then go resort which have better menus. But Sci Fi has the drive in atmosphere that’s unique and 50s has the fun banter of the servers and old style themed dining tables. Both are fun and guests who have never dined at either want to do them at least once for the experiences. We enjoy dining at both on our trips. The other consideration is the park time lost by getting to and from the resorts.

Hockey89

I'm looking into the table service restaurants that we want to check out during our next trip. Tbh, I'm not a huge fan of any of them, but maybe i'm missing something. Might be best to go to a near by restaurant possibly at Boardwalk? Thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated!
Shula and Bluezoo are both outstanding....

Lilofan

Do you want to experience the atmosphere and theming? If it’s only the meal that counts then go resort which have better menus. But Sci Fi has the drive in atmosphere that’s unique and 50s has the fun banter of the servers and old style themed dining tables. Both are fun and guests who have never dined at either want to do them at least once for the experiences. We enjoy dining at both on our trips. The other consideration is the park time lost by getting to and from the resorts.
One size doesn't fit all at DHS Sci Fi Drive In Dining. Most of the seating is at the drive in cars but if one cannot fit inside , there are a few tables in the back of the drive in to accommodate.

JIMINYCR

One size doesn't fit all at DHS Sci Fi Drive In Dining. Most of the seating is at the drive in cars but if one cannot fit inside , there are a few tables in the back of the drive in to accommodate.
Yes but the OP said nothing about the seating. Had she I would have addressed that. She was interested in where to dine. My answer gave her 2 possibilities asking if she was interested in just the meal or the atmosphere and theming.

Lilofan

Yes but the OP said nothing about the seating. Had she I would have addressed that. She was interested in where to dine. My answer gave her 2 possibilities asking if she was interested in just the meal or the atmosphere and theming.
We like eating towards the back in the seats/ tables. More room instead of being crammed in the small Sci Fi cars.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Hollywood Studios has good dining atmospheres without having good food, so it depends what you're looking for. Prime Time, Sci Fi, and Roundup are all super well themed. Even Mama Melrose is pretty well themed. Brown Derby is alright but I've never had a good meal there. Even the Cobb salad disappoints me, I find it pedestrian but my wife enjoys it.

Topolino's is a good choice at Riviera, and I'd throw in Bar Riva for drinks and dining as well. Boardwalk and Beach Club dining is also universally "bleh," although I enjoy a few things at Ale and Compass and the impossible patty melt at Beaches and Cream.

So that all sounds disappointing. 😄 We do one of two things with HS, either enjoying something fun and well themed like Prime Time or snacking and quick service with plans for Disney Springs or resort dining.

MissViv

Mama Melrose - we ate there on our last trip after seeing recommendations here. It was wonderful and we have it booked for our upcoming trip. The steak with macaroni and cheese it wonderful. My daughter is a big steak eater and it was so delicious and tender. Can't wait to eat there again!

tpoly88

if you were doing lunch, id say go to Brown Derby, relaxing and the lunch food is pretty good. Not sure if youre alone or with the whole family. Sci-fi is fun and 50's primetime but none of these are my dinner choice. Someone mentioned taking the boat to swan/dolphin and eating there. i would agree, the restaurants there are all good. Or id take the bus to AKL and eat at Jiko, Sanna or Boma. Citricos is decent, Cali Grill is now a pre-fix menu but i like it ($$$$) and Restaurants on the boardwalk are good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom