Holes In The Magic?

Woody13

Original Poster
When I visit a Disney Park, I like the magic. I enjoy the forced perspective on Main Street USA. I like the illusion at Animal Kingdom that the animals have vast areas in which to roam. I like the idea in each park that you are cut off from the real world. I enjoy the fantasy of it all. I don't like to see backstage or CM's out of character.

Inescapably, due to safety, health or sanitation issues I sometimes see things that are out of place. Also, sometimes CM's leave backstage doors propped open and I see things I don't really desire to see.

As an example, during our last trip to AK, I noticed at least 2 dozen rat bait stations. These devices use poison to control rat infestations. I was rather surprised to see that these devices were not hidden in any way.

Do you have any examples of holes in the magic?

Tom

Beta Return
Cell Towers :lol:

I've taken all the Backstage tours, so I exposed myself to one giant hole - on purpose. I'm still able to enjoy the parks and ignore what I've seen.

You know what used to be a GIANT hole? Skyway! I can NOT believe that it lasted as long as it did. You could see the top of every building in Fantasyland, most of Tomorrowland, everything tall behind the park, and even the big green building of HM. As a kid who was as technically-minded and as interested in "behind-the-scenes" stuff as I am now, I LOVED the skyway, but it was just one gaping hole!

Pixie Duster

There is a closet in the Train Station that we use to store some of our supplies in. I have to go into everyday and I make it a point to make sure I do not leave it wide open or leave it open longer than it needs to be. I am also known to shut a few open doors when I see them. My ideal position would for me to be a Good Show Policewoman :).

We were in the parade in the Magic Kingdom for my color guard..very cool to be in, but very sad to see the back of Splash Mountain and Aladdin in a baseball cap :(

PhilosophyMagic

Just as the skyway was mentioned, I noticed that a lot of ugly garbage disposal areas, etc. are visible from the Magic Kingdom monorails. I love the monorails, but I wish there were some way to hide the backstage areas from them.

Also, to me, the biggest "hole" in the parks are the totally-non-immersive attractions like Aladdin and, yes, even Dumbo and Mad Tea Party. It seems that in the earlier years this was more acceptable due to the novelty of the overall theme park idea, and the technological differences at the time. Now, though, the parks could be much more immersive. That's why I love World Showcase so much, and why I wish Dinorama would be removed. WDW would be much more magical to me if the parks were completely immersive in their themeing.

Thoughts?

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Navigate a water mouse/sprite around River country and Discovery Island. Bad Show and sad as well.

-ADN

Woody13

Original Poster
Thrawn said:
Simple question: would you rather see rats running around?

With the exception of Rizzo, no I do not wish to see rats running around. As I stated the rat bait stations are both a health and safety issue. I understand the need to poison and/or trap the rats. I have no questions or qualms about that issue. I do wonder why they don't do a better job in concealing or camouflaging these devices. Just as a CM should not prop open a backstage door, the CM's responsible for Integrated Pest Management (IPM) should not leave bait boxes in open public view IMO.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Woody13 said:
With the exception of Rizzo, no I do not wish to see rats running around. As I stated the rat bait stations are both a health and safety issue. I understand the need to poison and/or trap the rats. I have no questions or qualms about that issue. I do wonder why they don't do a better job in concealing or camouflaging these devices. Just as a CM should not prop open a backstage door, the CM's responsible for Integrated Pest Management (IPM) should not leave bait boxes in open public view IMO.

No, you didn't state that ... until now. Now, they were in view, but I doubt they were within reach of a guest.

monorail_man

Account Suspended
Anyone rember the lady that sued Disney because her child saw one of the characters without the head on and got all upset. *rolls eyes*

Woody13

Original Poster
Thrawn said:
Now, they were in view, but I doubt they were within reach of a guest.

The rat bait stations were indeed within view and within reach of any guest. The queue at Kilimanjaro Safaris had 8 rat stations all within 2 feet of the pavement. The Pangani Forrest Exploration Trail had 10 bait stations again all within easy reach of the public. Maharajah Jungle Trek had 6 rat bait stations within easy public view and reach.

I was not looking for these, they were just that easy to spot! I am sure there were more.

Ringo8n24

A big "hole" in the magic to me is to see and hear a CM complaining in front of a guest about their job, the number of people in line, how tired they are, etc. Heard it all from a CM at POR last time and she made me feel like a burden to have stepped into her line when I was checking in. I know she is an exception to the rule because I had never experienced that before at WDW, but it was disheartening.

djmatthews

Bad show....

Riding the Monorails and the Train you get to see some stuff.

I don't like the fact you can see backstage in Animal Kingdom on the train to Rafikis Planet Watch.

Swan & Dolphin rising above World Showcase.

SpectroMan

I agree with everything every one has said.

I also can't stand the exit signs in attractions. I hate being in Splash Mountain and seeing "Exit" signs all over the place.

nicholas

SpectroMan said:
I agree with everything every one has said.

I also can't stand the exit signs in attractions. I hate being in Splash Mountain and seeing "Exit" signs all over the place.
i was MOMENTS away from saying that!

I understand the need for them, but they kinda suck, for lack of a better term. :p

Captain Hank

Ah, all of the wonderfully un-themed things visible from the Railroad. I especially love the concrete overpass-thingy visible as the train approaches Main Street station. Also, when my marching band was walking backstage the train went by on a bridge covered with cameoflage stuff. I was amazed at how much I could see of the people on the train...meaning that they could see quite a lot of us and other backstage things.

SpenceMan01

nicholas said:
i was MOMENTS away from saying that!

I understand the need for them, but they kinda suck, for lack of a better term. :p

BINGO BINGO BINGO!!! I was too, in fact I'm surprised we made it to a second page before it was mentioned.

They are just soo obvious and they stick out so bad. I hate them!

Other than those, I LOVE catching glimpses of behind the scenes. I am DYING to go on the Keys to the Kingdom tour, but my dad is cheap and wouldn't spring for it on our trip. $50 + park admission + a loss of 4 or 5 hours in the park. I think it's worth it, but I couldn't convince my dad. :cry:

hcwalker16 said:
Ah, all of the wonderfully un-themed things visible from the Railroad. I especially love the concrete overpass-thingy visible as the train approaches Main Street station. Also, when my marching band was walking backstage the train went by on a bridge covered with cameoflage stuff. I was amazed at how much I could see of the people on the train...meaning that they could see quite a lot of us and other backstage things.

Yeah. I never knew there was a parking lot behind TK/Buzz until I saw it on a satellite image. I saw the concrete access tunnel from the monorail and pointed it out to my dad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom