Help Wanted! I'm Torn!

rnese

Original Poster
Ok, here's the situation. My parents went away on a weeks vacation and I....Oh wait, that's the Fresh Prince. Ok, HERE'S the situation. I just booked a week for next summer at the Polynesian. I have a 9 year-old and a 6 year-old, so staying on the monorail is a must for us. We stayed at the Poly back in 2008. My kids don't remember the stay, but my wife and I do and we LOVED IT! We vowed to stay there and ONLY there from now on...until we went in 2012. We got the 30% off discount for the Contemporary Garden Wing. We thought at the time that it was a "bargain" since we were on the monorail and we felt it was more "kid friendly", due to the pool area, the ability to walk to the MK and the whole Chef Mickey's and monorail coming through the building atmosphere. However, when we were there in 2012, it was over the 4th of July, so we watched the fireworks from the Poly beach (along with the rest of the world).

To make a long story longer, my wife and I asked our 9 year-old where would he like to stay next summer, the Contemporary or the Poly. He chose the Poly, thus that's where we've reserved. So, here's the question. Would you were me, would YOU change over to the Contemporary IF Disney offers the 30% discount next year...OR...would you "stick to the plan" and stay put with the Poly?

MMDVC

Depends on the DVC construction. I would not be happy with ongoing construction in the lobby or pool area. I would be watching the construction updates for the next year.

DsnySodec

I would take the 30% that is money spent else where in the park versus spent on the place you lay your head down. you can still go to the restaurants in the Poly, and you still have the monorail pick up at the hotel. Personally Id stay at the Coronado "deluxe" feel with moderate price and just take the bus shuttles.

Tinkerbell397

I would switch to the CR! Kids love the monorail going through the hotel...of course the CR happens to be my favorite. I have gone to the MK without kids now that they are grown and I have time to watch the children as the monorail approaches the CR. They are absolutely mystified! My kids loved the CR at the age of 4 and 6 and it is still their favorite resort as adults. I love the Poly and we stayed there when the kids were preteens....fun but we all feel like we are home when the monorail pulls into the Grand Concourse. Have a Magical Trip!!:cat:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
If you really want to the Poly stay with it, I might move the Contemporary for some savings. It is still on the monorail, and would give you and the kids a different experience.

DisneyDebNJ

We LOVE the Poly! I'd definately stay put. Push comes to shove, you can always hop on the monorail and visit the Contemporary, even ask a CM if you can check out a room at the Contemporary for your next visit.

pixiesteno

Depends on the DVC construction. I would not be happy with ongoing construction in the lobby or pool area. I would be watching the construction updates for the next year.
I just read on another site that DVC will begin construction at the Poly next month and construction is expected to be finished in 2015

Dog Ate Mouse

The Polly is really nice and relaxing. Now the point made that was said was construction at the Polly was going to occur. I am not sure how much that might disrupt your family. Now the Contemporay is just a really nice cool resort that has the Monorail going through and Chef Mickey's to boot with other really good places to eat. It all comes down to you and what the construction would do if anything at all to you and your family. Far as the 30% discount. I would not take that into account when going to stay at a resort that I really wanted to go to. One year the Darling wife wanted to do the same thing and felt instead of going to the Wilderness lodge let's go to the contemporary. I wanted to go to the Wilderness lodge because I have never been there and it looked so cool and relaxing. So I paid the 30% more for the Wilderness lodge. The day we arrived the wife's and I jaws dropped and later during the week the little lady tells me that I made the right choice and that she was so glad we stayed there and not some where else. Will I stay at the Contemporary one day, Yes you bet. I really want to try all the resorts and expereince what every one of them has to offer. So I throw the ball back to you and you need to decide what you want to do. Last bit to think on is talk to your son and tell him about the construction and would that bother hm. Also make sure he see's pictures of the Contemporary and let you your wife and hime vote and decide as a family.

rnese

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your input everyone! I think it's more my wife and I who love the Poly. We have always wanted to return. However, I truly think the kids would be happier at the Contemporary. They loved the water canons and the poolside activities, the feel of the "hustle and bustle" of the main concourse in the Contemporary. Couple all of that with the thought of there being construction at the Poly...I've gotta tell ya, I'm starting to lean towards changing to the Contemporary. Someone please rationalize this for me! This is a tough decision. We've been saving and saving for 3 years and I truly want to make this GREAT for the boys.

Dog Ate Mouse

Thanks for all of your input everyone! I think it's more my wife and I who love the Poly. We have always wanted to return. However, I truly think the kids would be happier at the Contemporary. They loved the water canons and the poolside activities, the feel of the "hustle and bustle" of the main concourse in the Contemporary. Couple all of that with the thought of there being construction at the Poly...I've gotta tell ya, I'm starting to lean towards changing to the Contemporary. Someone please rationalize this for me! This is a tough decision. We've been saving and saving for 3 years and I truly want to make this GREAT for the boys.
Trust me, where ever you stay in WDW the boys are going to have a great time. Once your checked-in and the Boys see the magic starting will be all that is needed. To make the perfect start just get together after the luggage is in the room and take off to the parks. At that point and time most kids could care less where they are staying once Mickey and friends are happening.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The GF offered all sorts of discounts 'cause of the DVD construction. Poly might do the same. If I remember that thread correctly there will be at points where there is construction to the GCH and to the Volcano pool. Plus them having to put pilings in water to put the condo's floating in the water.

Guess it depends on the timeline, that resort 'could' be anything but tranquil for a while.

s&k'smom

For 30% off I would go with the CR. As much as I love the Poly I'm too much of a bargain hunter. I think the kids will have a ball, my brother's too girls thought it was amazing.

CheshireCat12

If your son requested the Poly, go to the Poly :) Don't disappoint the poor child :p

Disney Shib

Split your week up? Best of both worlds... it's not like it's a long commute between both places. Stay a few at CR and a couple at Poly. :)

rnese

Original Poster
If your son requested the Poly, go to the Poly :) Don't disappoint the poor child :p
I know right? The poor, poor child will be "forced to settle" for Disney's Contemporary Resort! Whereas when I was a child My parents took me to Disney once! And we stayed at a Days Inn on International Drive!

Zortek

I know right? The poor, poor child will be "forced to settle" for Disney's Contemporary Resort! Whereas when I was a child My parents took me to Disney once! And we stayed at a Days Inn on International Drive!

My parents stayed at the Days Inn and only took me once too! Maybe we are on to something here and need our own support group. Hello my name is Zortek and I will only stay Deluxe now and try to go as often as possible.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom