HELP! My MDE app is no longer compatible?

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I have an android smartphone....and have happily accessed my MDE all year.....until a few days ago when it was signed out, I kept entering my password and said wrong one. So I verified it online and it worked fine. Today I uninstalled and went to go reinstall and NOW it says it is not compatible with my phone! EEEK! My trip is a month away and I really don't want a new phone, I checked Google play where I got it from and it says incompatible, I checked online and it says incompatible....has anyone else had a problem with this? o_O:arghh:

tglancy

Could be related to the version of Android you are running. I know they just updated the app on 9/22, so it could be that the update requires a newer version of Android than what is on your phone. The app requires 5.0 (Lollipop) now, so if you are running anything older, it's a no go. You might be able to upgrade your device to 5.0, but that would depend on the particular device.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Oh darn, on hold with Disney.....I love my pullout keyboard smartphone for texting.....and actually got a smartphone so I could have the Disney App! Bet you are right.....good thing I have a month to solve or get new phone.....if I had been at park and this happened it would have been awful.....so I am thinking its still available for Android just maybe not my 1 1/2 year old phone. When I downloaded from google play there was an Android download and an Apple download, now I see only one option.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Okay they say I need to update to 5.0 and I currently have4.1.2 NOW to figure out how to do that, hopefully I don't need a new phone!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Okay they say I need to update to 5.0 and I currently have4.1.2 NOW to figure out how to do that, hopefully I don't need a new phone!
Go to settings. Near the bottom of the list you should see something along the lines "System" and/or "System Updates". Click on that and it should update.

You will want to be on wifi and if possible plugged into your charger when you do the update.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Go to settings. Near the bottom of the list you should see something along the lines "System" and/or "System Updates". Click on that and it should update.

You will want to be on wifi and if possible plugged into your charger when you do the update.
I did try that and nothing changed, its set on update everyday.

tglancy

Sounds like the version of Android you have is the latest version your device supports. There's ways to still upgrade it, but it won't be supported by your carrier and will probably require a bit of doing. A new device is probably the easiest solution.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Yeah all the things online look like you get a ton of ads and such along with possible upgrade.......sigh.....

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
When I looked on Googleplay apps they had upgrades and the reviews said waste of time......I tried one and nothing happened so I deinstalled it.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Its a t mobile phone....although my carrier is consumer cellular, I think I will try picking the brains of a geek at the store....they might help.....

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
If all else fails, I can get a cheaper smartphone to use at parks that has higher version and then switch back to my current phone after trip.....bummer that it worked til a few days ago.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Turns out Samsung intentionally phases out upgrade capability on their phones.....2 years or so....so the fact I cannot obtain upgrades means no more will be out for this phone. Allegedly Apple does not do this......so I can use my phone but NOT the MDE app.....sigh.
Will be forced to shop for new phone.......either pay less for a Samsung and have to replace, or more for an Apple....either way through Consumers I only pay $9.50 a month to be on DH's plan.....and at most we pay 44$ a month for 3 users.....Tink goes shopping for phone JUST so she can use at WDW....;).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Turns out Samsung intentionally phases out upgrade capability on their phones.....2 years or so....so the fact I cannot obtain upgrades means no more will be out for this phone. Allegedly Apple does not do this......so I can use my phone but NOT the MDE app.....sigh.
Will be forced to shop for new phone.......either pay less for a Samsung and have to replace, or more for an Apple....either way through Consumers I only pay $9.50 a month to be on DH's plan.....and at most we pay 44$ a month for 3 users.....Tink goes shopping for phone JUST so she can use at WDW....;).
I am not sure where you heard that, but I do not think it is true.

When it comes to updates, both the carrier and the phone manufacturer have to agree on them. Because carriers often demand custom variants that are specific to their network upgrades often do not get done due to the install base being too small. Even when they are done, carriers are the ones that delay them in most cases.

The only way to really avoid this with Android is to buy one of the flagship modes vs a lower priced variant or get an unlocked phone like the Google Nexus (now called the Pixel).

This link goes a little more in depth on the subject.

http://www.howtogeek.com/163558/how...rers-make-your-android-phones-software-worse/

In the case of Apple, updates are more consistent because the hardware is more constant and it is a closed system. But even with that, older iPhones don't always work as well with the new updates. Many have suggested that Apple does this deliberately.

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Accused+of+Sabotaging+Users+iPhones+to+Boost+Sales/article20080.htm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...earches-iPhone-slow-spike-ahead-launches.html

A class action lawsuit was even filed in regarding this in 2015.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...edly-slowing-older-iphones-with-ios-9-upgrade

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom