Headin' to New York City - Need Suggestions

goofyguy

Original Poster
Okay all you world travelers ... My wife is going on a business trip to New York for a weekend, and since the company is paying for the hotel and all, we decided to book me a flight as well. Neither of us has ever been to New York City, so we're looking for suggestions on what to do. We'll have a Friday evening, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning to do touristy stuff.

If it helps, I think we'll be staying just off Times Square.

CDS Disney

Museum of Modern art, Ellis Island (highly recommended nice boat ride too). Oh and if you in China Town look for the Genco Olive oil sign from the Godfather movies. Stop buy RI you probably find the whole state is the nearest parking lot.:lol:

Lhriangel

Lets see... oh I'd LOVE to be in your place hehe. You have to see a show.. you can do Phantom, Dance of the Vampires is playing (it has Michael Crawford in it), Lion King, Aida (I highly recoomment). In Times Square there is a TKKS booth (I don't know what time it opens but it always has a line) and you can get cheap/discounted tickets for shows for that night there... it's usually very much worth it :).

Lets see.. Definately the MET in NY.. it's amazing. 5th Ave... Central Park. And over in the Lower Central Park area there is a themed restrauant called Jekell and Hyde which is soooo awesome. Lets see... Definately hit the fifth ave Disney store... trust me.. it's worth it. It's near Central Park before Museum Row.

Ohh SoHo is good, Little Italy (and when you hit Little Italy you can hit SoHo and Chinatown cause they are all in the same area).

*yikes.. I can think of soooo many more things to do but I'll stop there. I lived in NY for a year and now really really miss it lol :(.

mightyduck

Currently, the Museum of Modern Art is in Queens during renovations.... Ellis Island is a great choice if you can bear the cold (when are you going? it's a bit raw along the water).

The theater suggestions are fabulous.... I also suggest the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Or go the the Museum of Natural History and the Hayden Planetarium.... See Lion King at the IMAX. ;) The Museum of Television and Radio is worth looking into.... They have so much. You can choose from a huge library of television and radio shows and watch stuff that isn't on anymore, plus they usually have regularly scheduled compilation shows.

The backstage tour at Madison Square Garden is a neat look at things....

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I think you should get to see a broadway show also. I recommend Phantom of the Opera or Chicago...Chicago is still one of the toughest tickets on broadway.

Or Miss Saigon...that musical rocks...

Lhriangel

Originally posted by Fievel
I think you should get to see a broadway show also. I recommend Phantom of the Opera or Chicago...Chicago is still one of the toughest tickets on broadway.

Or Miss Saigon...that musical rocks...

Miss Saigon went off Broadway Jan 2001... :( :(

But yeah DEF Phantom...

I'm still saying shopping.. lol... and the museums.. and ohh shoot what's the name of the dinner where they sing while they wait on you? I think it's Ellen's Stardust Diner... anyone know what I'm talking about? hehe..

*sighs* I even miss Brooklyn at the moment!! lol

goofyguy

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. We'll probably visit the MET since that's mentioned by almost everyone that I've talked to. I'd like to go to the Musuem of Television and Radio, but I'm not sure my wife would be very interested. Of course she may have to work most of that Friday (the 31st by the way), so I might set out on my own for a while.

The hard part about this is deciding what to leave out. If we were going for a week, this would be much easier. There's so much we want to see buy only two days to see it in. Normally when we go on trips we just like to wing it, but since we'll be doing the Cliff's Notes version of New York, we may have to actually plan.

isnet396

Times square....hmm...MTV is there. If you stand outside, you might get on TRL...the Marquois Hotel is there, They always have a good show on....definately go see Les Miz (its closing worldwide in March), Phantom of the Opera, and The Producers (winter is horrible for broadway, so they might have some seats open). If you're into tech, check out Sony Wonder Technology Lab, on 550 Madison Avenue...pretty neat museum.

Just a warning at the Marquois....the elevators are insane. I shake when i get on them...they're all glass, and they face outside, looking out at the lobby, so it seems like you're just flying up 30 stories or so.

FAO Schwartz might close soon, their parent company, The Right Start is a bit screwy.....

You gotta check out Katz' deli in the lower east side. Its a must.

Take a visit to the empire state building

Go to the ESPN Zone...its at the end of Times Square

And of course, there are clubs and stuff.

Madamme Touseau's Wax Museum is fun....

Oh yeah, go to the Sony Imax Theatre at Lincoln (hope i spelled that right) Square and see whatever they have. Its really good...except, I hope you guys don't have escalator-phobia.

Ian

AliciaLuvzDizne

Originally posted by Angelique
Miss Saigon went off Broadway Jan 2001... :( :(

But yeah DEF Phantom...

I'm still saying shopping.. lol... and the museums.. and ohh shoot what's the name of the dinner where they sing while they wait on you? I think it's Ellen's Stardust Diner... anyone know what I'm talking about? hehe..

*sighs* I even miss Brooklyn at the moment!! lol

Im not sure about the ellens part but its definately the stardust diner... its a show in itself!! the waiters sing and dance some of your favorite show tunes. one of my waitresses there sang "a girl who has everything" from the little mermaid!

One warning about the TKKS boot, its a win/lose situation...
while the deals will be worth it, this booth only has tickets to shows that people cancled their reservations for. so go there to look for a deal, but if you have your heart set on the producers, you might not get it (I just picked a random show i knew of, any show applies. we tried to see cats once but the people in front of us got the last tickets and so we had to see fiddler on the roof, it was good though)

unfortunately my resaraunt/shopping guide is in my room at school, but if you like, I live like an hour away and have been many times, PM me and i'll let you know of some addresses. just tell me what kind of stuff you're into!

HAVE FUN
and EAT PIZZA!!! (old thread)

Seano846

Welcome to New York, Now GO HOME

Only Kidding, the best thing to do is just walk around a bit and explore, you will be amazed at the things that you will discover. My only tourist suggestion is go to the observation deck of the Empire State Building it is wonderful.

Lhriangel

Originally posted by AliciaLuvzDizne
Im not sure about the ellens part but its definately the stardust diner... its a show in itself!! the waiters sing and dance some of your favorite show tunes. one of my waitresses there sang "a girl who has everything" from the little mermaid!

One warning about the TKKS boot, its a win/lose situation...
while the deals will be worth it, this booth only has tickets to shows that people cancled their reservations for. so go there to look for a deal, but if you have your heart set on the producers, you might not get it (I just picked a random show i knew of, any show applies. we tried to see cats once but the people in front of us got the last tickets and so we had to see fiddler on the roof, it was good though)

unfortunately my resaraunt/shopping guide is in my room at school, but if you like, I live like an hour away and have been many times, PM me and i'll let you know of some addresses. just tell me what kind of stuff you're into!

HAVE FUN
and EAT PIZZA!!! (old thread)

*sighs* all my guides are at home in my room... :( :( I miss NY so much right now though. I'm beginning to home more and more that I get into Columbia or NYU lol....

Def. go to Stardust Diner.. and also consider going to Forbidden Broadway.. it's a show that is downstairs int he same building and it makes fun of the shows.. yes even the disney ones hehe.

prberk

The Lion King is wonderful.

But the best thing for us when we went recently was the Circle Tour on the water, around lower Manhattan. It is a tour boat that is easily accessible from the docks at the lower end of Manhattan and operates daily. It is inexpensive (forgot how much exactly), but the tour was great. Heard great stories and got to see the Statue of Liberty up close, as well as Ellis Island, the Brooklyn Bridge, and of course the WTC site. That part was very moving, and the whole thing was hugely memorable. I highly recommend it for getting a lot in, in a short time.

mightyduck

Originally posted by isnet396
I think that the WTC site has a 3 block-radius closed off around it....don't quote me on it though.

There are observation decks you can see the site from if you want to go there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom