Have A Magical Day Removed From WDW Vocabulary?

baanman

Original Poster
We just returned from our annual family trek to WDW. Something was missing. Not once did anyone tell us to have a magical day. We even stayed in a Disney resort. This was always one of the highlights of the trip. Has anyone else noticed this?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I heard it a number of times at POR in August/September and Pop in September/October. :shrug:

GR in parks I heard it regularly as well.

CaptainShortty

From a CM standpoint, nope, it hasn't been "taken out of the vocabulary". We're always told to use it when appropriate in interactions with guests. Sorry you didn't come across it. =/

Timekeeper

Guest service telephone operators have been consistently concluding our telephone calls with that phrase, 100% of the time. I suppose it's more of an automatic behavior when dealing with guests over the telephone rather than in person.

Also, when a guest is on the telephone, the guest-CM interaction is probably the only interaction with "Disney" that the guest will have during that day, week, or month. Conversely, in a park, a guest interacts with CMs multiple times throughout the day. If every CM ended every interaction with that phrase, I could see how it would become redundant, possibly annoying, and potentially lose its "specialness." If I ask a CM at the popcorn stand for the location of the nearest restroom, it would seem odd to me if the two sentence exchange ended in "have a magical day."

There are also times when the phrase wouldn't make sense; literally. For example, late in the evening. If I'm purchasing something from a gift shop while leaving EPCOT after Illuminations, "have a magical day" wouldn't make as much sense as "have a good night," "drive safe," etc.

The Empress Lilly

I heard the phrase quite a bit last month.

I love it! Besides, I really did have a magical time, owing to no small degree to lovely CM's and princesses everywhere.

bgraham34

I actually have not heard that phrase in several years. I remember my wife and i talking about that last year on our trip. We talked about how we always use to hear it but not any longer.

Raychul

Yeah, I didn't hear it much at all when I was there for a week a few weeks ago.

Also missing is "May the Force be with you" from the new Star Tours. Have been on that ride over 20 times at WDW and DL since the re-opening and not once has anyone said it. :(

graphite1326

We just returned from our annual family trek to WDW. Something was missing. Not once did anyone tell us to have a magical day. We even stayed in a Disney resort. This was always one of the highlights of the trip. Has anyone else noticed this?

No I haven't heard it because I haven't been able to go in almost 2 years. So quit your crying!

kiddin just kiddin

baanman

Original Poster
No I haven't heard it because I haven't been able to go in almost 2 years. So quit your crying!

kiddin just kiddin

Not cryin', just one of the many ways we noticed that the level of customer service had dropped a couple of notches since last year. I'm not one to gripe much, but the meal portions also seemed smaller. Guess Disney is just catching up with the times: charge more, provide less. We still had a great time.

rct247

I don't use it either. It is overused, not personal, and seems very corporate as if I am forced to say it.

I'd rather be more personal like "have a wonderful afternoon" or "enjoy the rest of your anniversary" or "enjoy the fireworks this evening".

I'd only say "have a magical day" if I meant it sarcastically to people who yell at me. It's my way of sticking the overly cheerful magic touch to send them over the edge in rage.

Not all cast members share this opinion. I know many who sincerely mean "have a magical day", but hopefully that explains the other side of it.

Theme Parkitect

Not cryin', just one of the many ways we noticed that the level of customer service had dropped a couple of notches since last year. I'm not one to gripe much, but the meal portions also seemed smaller. Guess Disney is just catching up with the times: charge more, provide less. We still had a great time.

Here's some advice. We also went to Disney annually. We started being REALLY picky, so we skipped a year and went to Canada. Came back this summer, and were AMAZED! It's interesting what a year off will do to your perspective. :)

thelookingglass

I know I'm in the minority here, but honestly I'd rather not hear it. I'd rather have CMs speak to me in a genuine tone that shows they care (if they do) rather than have them spout a coined phrase with a fake plastic smile. I mean generally you can honestly tell the CMs who actually do care from the ones who are just saying that phrase because "I don't actually care and this takes no effort and might make them think I care."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom