Haunted Mansion's Growing Room - What is Moving?

mcranmer

Original Poster
I did a quick search on this site to see if this question has already been asked, but couldn't find anything.

A friend thinks that it is really cool how the room grows by having the ceiling go up. I said, no, actually the floor is moving down.

Who is correct? How does it really work?

Am I an idiot for not already knowing?

SnowFire

I did a quick search on this site to see if this question has already been asked, but couldn't find anything.

A friend thinks that it is really cool how the room grows by having the ceiling go up. I said, no, actually the floor is moving down.

Who is correct? How does it really work?

Am I an idiot for not already knowing?

If I understand it correctly, it is different between WDW and DL. I believe the floor goes down at DL so that you can get under the RR tracks to the ride building. At WDW, I believe the ceiling goes up.

ROEFan88

SnowFire is correct - while the room at DL is an actual elevator, that moves down slowly to achieve the illusion, WDW's version simply has an ascending ceiling.

head mouse

The STRETCHING room in the DL HM is an elevator that takes guest down (NEVER UP) the hallway they walk through from the room to the doom buggy is a tunnel under the railroad tracks. This was done due to limited space at DL.

The effect was so well loved that when WDW HM was built, even though there was no need for an elevator, the stretching room was made where the ceiling raised.

WDWSwashbuckler

Once, the hall was really backed up on the exit of the stretch room and I had a room full of guests. They got to watch the entire process happen twice, but with all the doors open. It was super bad. I was really embarassed.

nighttimewisher

Once, the hall was really backed up on the exit of the stretch room and I had a room full of guests. They got to watch the entire process happen twice, but with all the doors open. It was super bad. I was really embarassed.

I had a similar experience at the old Living Seas. We got in the Hydrolators and when the exit doors open, the entrance door open as well.

mikeymouse

SnowFire is correct - while the room at DL is an actual elevator, that moves down slowly to achieve the illusion, WDW's version simply has an ascending ceiling.

you can tell especially where there are imperfections in the striped wallpaper, such as a tear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom