Haunted Mansion during DL Half Weekend

Greenlawler

Original Poster
For the last three years my wife and I have flown out to DL for their Dumbo Challenge and we intend to keep this up. I am a huge fan of the Haunted Mansion and am looking forward to seeing the Hatbox Ghost one day, however every Labor Day Weekend they have the Haunted Mansion down for refurb in order to install the Nightmare Before Christmas Overlay.

I really wish Disney would reconsider doing the switchover on a weekend as popular as The Half Marathon Weekend. We usually go to DW and the trip to DL is just too pricey, and I only have so many vacation days, to go to DL multiple times a year.

Has it always been like this? Is there ever a calendar rarity that would keep this from happening? Come on DL you can shut the Mansion down 5 days earlier and open it up five days later next year.

FigmentPigments

For the last three years my wife and I have flown out to DL for their Dumbo Challenge and we intend to keep this up. I am a huge fan of the Haunted Mansion and am looking forward to seeing the Hatbox Ghost one day, however every Labor Day Weekend they have the Haunted Mansion down for refurb in order to install the Nightmare Before Christmas Overlay.

I really wish Disney would reconsider doing the switchover on a weekend as popular as The Half Marathon Weekend. We usually go to DW and the trip to DL is just too pricey, and I only have so many vacation days, to go to DL multiple times a year.

Has it always been like this? Is there ever a calendar rarity that would keep this from happening? Come on DL you can shut the Mansion down 5 days earlier and open it up five days later next year.
I know how you feel. I did the same thing fully expecting the Mansion to be open. It was a shock to me as that was one of the rides I really wanted to go on. Fortunately, I plan to run the other Disneyland races eventually and hope to see the Mansion then.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
Wrote Disney about this, and they called me today.It is Disney's custom to follow up on letters with a call, and I understand they probably cannot/will not change but who knows? Maybe they have not thought of it, and decide it makes sense to change the schedule? Maybe they have gotten multiple letters aside from mine? Oh well, fingers crossed.

dreamfinder

Wrote Disney about this, and they called me today.It is Disney's custom to follow up on letters with a call, and I understand they probably cannot/will not change but who knows? Maybe they have not thought of it, and decide it makes sense to change the schedule? Maybe they have gotten multiple letters aside from mine? Oh well, fingers crossed.

They have been following more and more letters up with calls, it definitely seems to be a growing trend lately. I think here they are sadly stuck trying to get the overlay in place prior to the start of the Halloween season/Halloween parties. So upsetting a few guests who are traveling for the DLR 1/2 is outweighed by being able to have another night of Halloween parties.

Greenlawler

Original Poster
They have been following more and more letters up with calls, it definitely seems to be a growing trend lately. I think here they are sadly stuck trying to get the overlay in place prior to the start of the Halloween season/Halloween parties. So upsetting a few guests who are traveling for the DLR 1/2 is outweighed by being able to have another night of Halloween parties.

I had never gotten a call from DL before, but I always have gotten calls from WDW, even back in like 2002 I remember getting a followup call.

I do know Disney will take advice from letters, and emails. Of course I think you are right this maybe too much cost vs benefit for them.

But in 2010 I wrote Disney about the embarrassing lack of characters at the WDW marathon on the course and suggested that they put out Shan-Yu (I know in retrospect it seems a little odd). The next year he was out at the 2011 marathon and their were more characters that year than I can ever remember.

Obviously It was probably not my letter, but Shan Yu had not been out in years at WDW odd timing.

I know there are not too many of around here but I would encourage people to at least write.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom