Has Anyone Driven to WDW from Toronto?

livabeth

My husband and I are planning a late November '06 trip to WDW with our two daughters (7 and 3 yo). We are considering driving there from Toronto, Canada. Has anyone ever done this drive before?? Are we insane to consider it with two young kids? Any tips to make the drive more enjoyable?

Mystic

We used to do it every year when I was a kid. We'd drive from Toronto to Lexington KY, Lexington to Valdosta GA then from Valdosta down to FL. We used to make up games as we went down. Like who could find the most license plates from different states and who could find the most number of a certain billboard etc.

Make sure you stop every 2 hours and stretch your legs, take a bathroom break, have a snack etc. Also pack lots of your own snacks etc to cut down on costs. Also don't just stick to McD's for meals, this gets boring fast, trust me on this one. Hit Denny's for breakfast if you can and try eating at your hotel restaurant for dinner.

We used to drive from about 5am to 5pm so the days are long so make sure you take along car friendly activities. You can get great travel games that are magnetic or compact enough that you can play them in the car. We used to have travel sized versions of Connect 4 and Yahtzee. Check your local toy store for games of this sort. Pack colouring books, a couple dolls, portable music players if you have them and bring a wide variety of music cds to listen too. I don't know what kind of car you have but if you have the ability to play them, take some DVDs, pack your Disney movies to help get you in the mood.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

pescador1f

wow, i dont know how people do it, i drove down from north new jersey twice last year. the ride down isnt bad, it is coming home that is absolutely horrible. i thought having a car with me would be helpful, not really. in the 2 weeks i was there i used the car twice on the first trip and once the second. Toronto, wow, good luck.

Upvote 0

orangewarrior

Mapquest indicates 20.5 hours - that seems about right. The route would be more Westernly than I'm used to taking. So I can't speak to that, but I can speak to driving - long distances - with a young child.

We have made the trip 3 times in the last three years. We have one child - 3 (turning 4) on our first trip and 5.5 on our last trip. She has never been a problem. We have a lap desk for her that fits over her car seat, so she can color, draw, read, puzzles, games etc. Fairly inexpensive too, I would say $20. We also have a portable DVD player - more expensive but worth it. And we also bring along plenty of Kids music - Disney of course - for the drive. Our journey is 14-15 hours, and we usually try to get the bulk of it out of the way the first day, 9-10 hours.

We have found that having our car at Disney is a major major plus. Not to knock Disney transportation. But not having to wait for a Disney bus at the end of the day is major bonus - at least for us. And if you want to travel somewhere offproperty it is possible this way. Plus you won't have to worry about dragging strollers on and off buses, you can put them in your own car - and if you stay on Disney property - parking is free. Also transportation between resorts becomes much much easier, if you are going to use any of the facilities/restaurants at the other resorts. We've traveled with friends, who have gone both ways no car- Disney bus to the parks/our car and drive to the parks, and all agree - having a car is a major advantage, especially with kids.

Have a great trip and have fun planning.

Upvote 0

darrin

We live just south of buffalo (western NY), and prefer to drive. Have done it several times and the kids had a great time. We packed enough food/games/dvd's to keep the kids happy, stopped severat times and made great time. Flying is nice when you're pressed for time, but if time isnt a factor, driving can be really fun and time well spent with your family.:D

Upvote 0

Raptorsr

Just keep thinking "we dont live in Winnipeg, manitoba".;) Did it it sept 2004 and drove pretty much non stop to WDW from winnipeg. Not to bad it actually goes by pretty fast. If you can do it in the night it should knock your child out for most of the trip always did for me on family vacations in Germany. If she can pay attention to videos get a portable dvd that can be put on the back of the seat and put on some kiddy movies or shows and that should enthrall the child for a while.

Or the best thing is just say to your self at least its not 31 + hours like it will be for me again in sept this year.
:brick: :)

Upvote 0

sring

livabeth said:
My husband and I are planning a late November '06 trip to WDW with our two daughters (7 and 3 yo). We are considering driving there from Toronto, Canada. Has anyone ever done this drive before?? Are we insane to consider it with two young kids? Any tips to make the drive more enjoyable?

I think alot depends on your kids and how well they travel. I assume cost is part of the consideration, but if it's not too huge a hurdle, you might try splitting the difference. Drive to VA then take the Auto Train to FL (Info at www.amtrak.com) I think for a family of 4 with a mini-van it's under US$1,000.

My prefence is to fly only to maximize the time with the mouse. I;ve driven from Philadelphia to Disney, and it's taken about 22 hours (2 drivers, no stoping to sleep)...but learned never to hit the Washington Beltway at rush hour. But we were young, crazy and poor college students back then.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just a thought but you might want to run some numbers and see how the total cost of driving really stacks up to flying.

Here are a few numbers I pulled up to get you started

Distance: 1300 miles one way
Approximate driving time: 20 hours one way
Average one night hotel stay $75
Approximate fuel cost $162 one way (24 mpg @ $3 / gallon)
Approximate meals for family of 4 $100 per day

Another factor to consider is the possibility of a break down. Even if you car is under warranty and the repair is at no cost you will still loose nearly a day of travel for anything more complicated that a blown tire.

If you are staying at a Disney resort and do not plan on going off property there really is no need to have a car.

Upvote 0

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
pescador1f said:
i drove down from north new jersey twice last year. the ride down isnt bad, it is coming home that is absolutely horrible.

:lol: So true. On the way down, you're running on adreniline and excitement, but the drive back can be just miserable.

Toronto doesn't seem too bad to me. A little longer than my drive, but when you're drining that long, what's a few hours?

My son and I listen to books on tape and comedy CD's, but at 3 and 7, your kids probably won't be interested in the same things as you.

Do you have a portable DVD player? If not, you can get them pretty cheap now, so it might be a good investment.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We used to drive it every year from RI when out kids were young. As has been mentioned, pack plenty of snacks and things to do, or make up games in the car (we used to do Disney 20 questions). I'd also pack a bag of "surprises" - just little toys or treats or whatever that I'd wrap up for them in Disney paper. When they'd get fidgety, I'd pull out a "surprise" for them.
Portable DVD players are a great idea nos, and they've come down considerbly in price in the past 2 years.
Another trick, if you are able, is to do night driving while they sleep in the car. I wouldn't try it unless you're a nightowl yourself, but if you can do it, you can make great time that way!

Upvote 0

Number_6

I've driven down with my kids from Boston when they were still pretty young. Both of them tended to fall asleep in the car, though, so they weren't any problem at all. Just had to make sure to stop at rest areas to give the kids a chance to go to the bathroom and pack plenty of snacks in the car so that you don't always have to stop if they are just a little hungry. Oh, and if you end up driving through New Jersey, they don't let you pump your own gas, so stay in the car.

Upvote 0

sring

Master Yoda said:
Average one night hotel stay $75
Approximate fuel cost $162 one way (24 mpg @ $3 / gallon)
Approximate meals for family of 4 $100 per day

Spending time with the family....priceless

Oops, wrong advertiser.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Upvote 0

RedGear

when I went to disney the first time when i was 6, we drove home Michigan (pretty close to Toronto) and I remember it being 1 whole day in the car, but we broke it up and stayed the night somewhere. It was a really long time to be in the car and I got super antsy. But, hopefully you have a in-car dvd played and lots of DVDs!! Good Luck! ;) :wave:

Upvote 0

SweetJulia

We drove from Toronto once, we did it in two days. I was with my parents and my sister. She was 9 and I was 21 so we kept busy with games and music. She was kind of impatient by day two. When we finally crossed the border into Florida, she asked if she could start opening the door to get out while we were still on the highway. (I've never seen my Mom lock the car doors so fast). The last few hours were the hardest for her.

Upvote 0

natalia1681

I would definitely recommend driving as much as possible at night, so kiddies are sleeping and traffic doesn't seem to be as bad in most places.

Also, if you really want to drive, I would agree with the stopping for breaks, but try to find a place with a playground, so your kids can have some physical activity.

The ride down does seem to go much faster, but I think that's because of the way that the earth slopes, that way you're going down :lookaroun Maybe that's just me:lol:

Upvote 0
Its 18.5 hours from NY and with 4 children. It can be done and does save us money. We have done it countless times. My best suggestion is to take advantage of driving at night when the children are sleeping. You really do make alot of time that way. Having two drivers is how we do it and we drive straight through. Pack snacks and sandwiches in the car and let the kids get out at the rest areas. Know where they are and pace yourself according to those stops. One necessary item is a portable DVD. It does make the time pass quickly for the children.
Once in Disney, It is nice to have the car especially to eat at the different resorts.
Just one note, be prepared, the ride back is the toughest. Don't start out exhausted and make sure the other driver naps.

Upvote 0

livabeth

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I have been comparing the cost to drive versus flying and we would probably save approx. $750.00. Flying will be approx. $2000.00 for the 4 of us (including taxes, etc.) and we would probably rent a car to drive down with (our minivan is leased and the long mileage would eat into our limits). The rental car would probably cost about $500, but gas, hotel, food, etc. My kids do pretty well in the car, plus we have a portable DVD player already. I agree that the drive home may be long and difficult ... especially if you run into any bad weather.

Alternately, we may shuffle off to Buffalo and fly from there. The flights are very cheap and i heard that this works very well. Has anyone done this?

We are also trying to decide whether to stay at All Stars Movie, Pop Century or POR. My first choice is POR, but with the money we could say at the value hotels we could do so much more at Disney and fly.

Decisions .. decisions. I can't wait to book everything and then just enjoy waiting for the trip to come and planning on what to take and where to go at Disney.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
POR is very nice but if the choice was 4 days of driving and staying at POR or 2- 6 hour flights and staying at a value resort the values will win every time. The moderate resorts are a little nicer and the rooms are slightly bigger (approximately 30 square feet) but nowhere near enough of a perk to offset a 1300 mile one way drive and all the hassles that come along with it.

EDIT: I would contact Kingdom consultants at 1-866-566-7858. They are a sponsor of this site and can make all the arrangements for you at the best possible price. Myself along with many other members use them and their service and value in simply incredible.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom