Harry Potter - Ok... it is late 2007. Any broken ground?

teebin

Original Poster
I am going to renew my annual pass once construction starts. Hogwarts Castle? Any digging going on? Any Employees see any bangin and diggin?

crazydaveh

They are still in the pre-construction phase. I'd put my money on "actual" construction starting in the first part of 2008. Construction crews can get a lot done between Jan and May here in Orlando, otherwise known as the dry season.

TowerOfTerror

I'm not sure if it is related to Potter but they are doing work in backstage near the Hess station on Turkey Lake RD and Production Plaza. :shrug:

teebin

Original Poster
They are supposed to be breaking ground shortly.

Great... Call me whacko, but I love to watch these things being built. I really enjoyed watching everest and have enjoyed seeing the work on the yak & yeti. I actually learned a concrete sculpting technique as they have been working on yak/yeti. Would never have thought of it.

teebin

Original Poster
Care to share?

It has to do with the way that they sculpt the deteriorating brick and stucco buildings. I assumed that they would just cover the entire wall with cement/stucco and then carve the mud bricks out of that.

Instead, they draw out only the area the bricks will be showing through and sculpt only the bricks. Then after the bricks are hardened they come back and lay on the 'outter' stucco walls around the bricks to a depth one inch higher than the bricks. It makes a great deal of sense why it is done this way, however I would not have thought of it.

katiesmom

Was there today. Loads of heavy equipment working behind the kiddie coaster and next to DD. Looks like they started some major work to me.

Michael72688

They have indeed started, I saw a picture from Unicorn and you can see over the wall straight to JPRA, think in just about a 2 years that will Hogwarts!

meryll83

They have indeed started, I saw a picture from Unicorn and you can see over the wall straight to JPRA, think in just about a 2 years that will Hogwarts!
Are they getting rid of JPRA? On screamscape the plans I have seen for the projected area of Harry Potter land seem to go over part of the river?

darthjohnny

Are they getting rid of JPRA? On screamscape the plans I have seen for the projected area of Harry Potter land seem to go over part of the river?

If JPRA stands for Jurassic Park River Adventure, then no. That's a popular ride and I doubt they would ever get rid of it.

I think that picture on Screamscape was just pointing out general areas.

It's mostly going to restrict itself to the unused land in the back and some of the Lost Continent Area.

teebin

Original Poster
But they do have a challenge hiding hogwarts from JPRA and the service gate area next to Pizza Predattoria. Think tons of tall washington palms and giant timber bamboo. Gotta love theme park landscape engineers!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom