News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Kman101

I said nothing to suggest that general upkeep didn't matter. Whether a building is themed on its parking-lot facade has nothing to do with maintenance. As for the illusion being ruined, I personally find the backstage views cool (not from within the park, of course). To me, knowing how the illusion works makes it that much more impressive. But I realise others disagree, and that's fine.

No illusion is ruined for me either (do I *wish* they were hidden by like trees or something? Maybe, but it's a non-issue for me really). But everyone's different of course :)

EDIT: I'm not advocating for this large ugly showbuilding, just so everyone's clear, lol. I wish it weren't so big and go-away blues and greens only make it more obvious. But maybe seeing Tron's future showbuilding? A bit of Ratatouille? The #BacksideofEverest? Nah. But again, we're all different.

LittleBuford

No illusion is ruined for me either (do I *wish* they were hidden by like trees or something? Maybe, but it's a non-issue for me really). But everyone's different of course :)

Indeed! And to be clear, I'm not saying that how a building looks from the back is entirely irrelevant. I just don't see the need for theming from certain (to my mind) offstage angles.

Kman101

Indeed! And to be clear, I'm not saying that how a building looks from the back is entirely irrelevant. I just don't see the need for theming from certain (to my mind) offstage angles.

Neither do I, nothing wrong with that.

And of course I agree they could do a much nicer job with the parking lots. At the same time, I'm also aware that's what it is: a parking lot (I'd prefer garages at every park, personally). But I understand there's a demand and need to be "in theme" every second, but you can only put so much lipstick on a pig, and a parking lot is still a parking lot. More trees and greenery and better walking paths (with maybe, you know, cover?) would be great. But I'm not stomping my feet when I get out of my car and wonder why this isn't a more immersive parking experience.

Kman101

Actually, there is. The them is "car park". ;)

I mean, would I love each park to have like a TTC and you hop on a monorail/gondola/etc. or a ferry/boat and be magically whisked into the park? Sure. I do think certain things could be better hidden, but I also don't think it's a deal-breaker nor does it ruin my own illusion. Let's hope the parking improvements continue. They seem to have something in mind, no?

But we're getting a tad off-topic in some ways I guess.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Many seem to agree with you. To me, however, a parking lot is always going to be a utilitarian and ugly space, whether at WDW or Walmart.

Fire stations are utilitarian, but Disney still went the extra mile to make it look nice.

1541961695179.png

Kman101

In all seriousness, can anyone explain to me how a large lot full of literally thousands of cars can ever be made to look "nice"?

This is where some of them lose me ...

Maybe if they had garages they could theme them? That's a novel concept.

I just feel like sometimes people are looking to be critical and this is one of them and then trying to say they're just upholding them to their standards. No, to them a parking lot has always been a parking lot. They've never made me expect some grand themed parking experience (should they have? Probably, so I understand that's where some are coming from, but still ...). I didn't know I should have been demanding themed parking. Why was parking OK for the last 40 years of the resort and now it's not? lol

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Many seem to agree with you. To me, however, a parking lot is always going to be a utilitarian and ugly space, whether at WDW or Walmart.

It used to be from the moment you entered property it was about telling a story, creating excitement, and building memories. Not maintaining a parking lot or build a warehouse the size of SSE within a couple of feet of it won’t destroy this, but it certainly doesn’t help and just allows for further dumbing down of the experience.

Kman101

It used to be from the moment you entered property it was about telling a story, creating excitement, and building memories. Not maintaining a parking lot or build a warehouse the size of SSE within a couple of feet of it won’t destroy this, but it certainly doesn’t help and just allows for further dumbing down of the experience.

What's the story of each of their parking lots then? (MK and Epcot, yes I can see it). I wasn't aware Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom were telling me a story and immersing me into the park right from those magical parking toll booths.

LittleBuford

What story, though?! How many of us go home and reminisce about that compelling narrative told to us by WDW's car parks?

ETA: Snap, @Kman101!

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
What's the story of each of their parking lots then? (MK and Epcot, yes I can see it). I wasn't aware Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom were telling me a story and immersing me into the park right from those magical parking toll booths.
What story, though?! How many of us go home and reminisce about that compelling narrative told to us by WDW's car parks?

ETA: Snap, @Kman101!

Of course it’s a parking lot, you’re not spending your day there, but it’s one of the first and last experiences many guests have at one of the parks. Disney’s 4 keys: safety, courtesy, show, and efficiency used to mean something in helping build experiences. If they are not maintained, unsafe, etc. it takes away from your experience. Would you be happy with a six flags experience at Disney?

Kman101

Properly maintained, properly painted and stripped, manicured landscaping, themed signage and graphics that are maintained.

That's different than some telling us that there's some story involved in the parking lot experience.

But absolutely yes, they should be doing all of these things and I wish they did a better job at it.

LittleBuford

Properly maintained, properly painted and stripped, manicured landscaping, themed signage and graphics that are maintained.

Again, I said nothing to suggest that maintenance was unimportant. I think this conversation has gone about as far as it can (and probably further than it should have). I'm sorry for taking us off-topic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom