News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

BrianLo

Brace yourself for Tron, because that plain box is going to downgrade a lot of sightlines within and outside the MK.

As much as I love to crap on TDO for their clones, I think weirdly almost every problematic sightline from Shanghai is a non-issue. I don't even know if you'll be able to see the show building in the park except from limited nit-picky spots.

It looks ok bang on. You can nearly circumnavigate the show building in Shanghai between the Star Wars experience, the path to Fantasyland and Toy Story Land... in the MK not only can one hardly get above ground level, you really cannot get a sight line of it except more or less straight on to the Dome. Space Mountain and the tree berm both block those off.

Missing20K

I do agree, but they are also a collection of attractions, and atmosphere. I just don't think see this building is going to ruin
anyone's experience, anymore than seeing Cinderella's Castle from Splash Mountain ruins your time in Frontierland.

Cindy's castle is at least a themed building. Use the Soarin' or Swolphin analogy. Argument holds a bit more water.

I'm at a loss for what atmosphere an ombré warehouse adds to the park.

And here's a quote from him about the attraction:
" Feige: I love Epcot. It was my favorite park when I was a kid. At the time it was only Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Disney's Hollywood Studios, then Disney-MGM Studios, opened in '89, when I was 16. And I also loved that because it was all about movies and, even then, I knew I wanted to make movies. But Epcot and the notion of the future and the promise of the future and the promise of a global community ... I bought into it hook, line, and sinker. I was inspired by it. I still listen to the music from those old attractions. And I am the kind of person who is inspired by well-told stories and inspired by well-told, well-scored messages. And Epcot did that in an amazing way, for me.

Now, the notion that one of our movies is going to be a part of that -- and yes, provide a big, fun, Marvel Studios-type adventure -- but still stay true to what Epcot Center is all about, is pretty awesome."
- https://www.moviefone.com/2018/04/23/kevin-feige-avengers-infinity-war-black-panther-marvel/

Nothing new about the attraction, but it definitely seems that he's a fan of EPCOT Center, so maybe there's hope that the attraction will fit in.
I know it's not his business, but it would be awesome if someone with his clout could push for a revitalization of Epcot Centre, since he loves it so much.

tparris

Bioreconstruct. Note in the first picture you can see walls going up inside the building, as well as some kind of structure at the corner nearest the parking lot. Quite a bit of roof work going on as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20181109_193151.jpg
    IMG_20181109_193151.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20181109_193156.jpg
    IMG_20181109_193156.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

RSoxNo1

And here's a quote from him about the attraction:
" Feige: I love Epcot. It was my favorite park when I was a kid. At the time it was only Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Disney's Hollywood Studios, then Disney-MGM Studios, opened in '89, when I was 16. And I also loved that because it was all about movies and, even then, I knew I wanted to make movies. But Epcot and the notion of the future and the promise of the future and the promise of a global community ... I bought into it hook, line, and sinker. I was inspired by it. I still listen to the music from those old attractions. And I am the kind of person who is inspired by well-told stories and inspired by well-told, well-scored messages. And Epcot did that in an amazing way, for me.

Now, the notion that one of our movies is going to be a part of that -- and yes, provide a big, fun, Marvel Studios-type adventure -- but still stay true to what Epcot Center is all about, is pretty awesome."
- https://www.moviefone.com/2018/04/23/kevin-feige-avengers-infinity-war-black-panther-marvel/

Nothing new about the attraction, but it definitely seems that he's a fan of EPCOT Center, so maybe there's hope that the attraction will fit in.
This gives me hope. Thank you for sharing.

Kman101

As much as I love to crap on TDO for their clones, I think weirdly almost every problematic sightline from Shanghai is a non-issue. I don't even know if you'll be able to see the show building in the park except from limited nit-picky spots.

It looks ok bang on. You can nearly circumnavigate the show building in Shanghai between the Star Wars experience, the path to Fantasyland and Toy Story Land... in the MK not only can one hardly get above ground level, you really cannot get a sight line of it except more or less straight on to the Dome. Space Mountain and the tree berm both block those off.

Thank you for the common sense. I don't think it'll be much of an issue either. I think the real problem some have is the sightline OUTSIDE of the park, but they think the entire thing will be an eyesore inside. So, I'm curious to see the reactions when it's done and what the view is actually going to be like. I think it'll be mostly fine, but it's just my opinion, lol.

mergatroid

Thank you for the common sense. I don't think it'll be much of an issue either. I think the real problem some have is the sightline OUTSIDE of the park, but they think the entire thing will be an eyesore inside. So, I'm curious to see the reactions when it's done and what the view is actually going to be like. I think it'll be mostly fine, but it's just my opinion, lol.

There was a huge melt down on here that the Expedition Everest show building was visible from the AK parking lot and criticism when they started to paint it, hardly gets a mention now. Hopefully this will look ok when completed, though to be honest I think GE will be more of an eyesore as you enter the studios than GOTG will.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There was a huge melt down on here that the Expedition Everest show building was visible from the AK parking lot and criticism when they started to paint it, hardly gets a mention now. Hopefully this will look ok when completed, though to be honest I think GE will be more of an eyesore as you enter the studios than GOTG will.

Well they didn't just paint it, they also added some theming of sorts to the back of it compared to what was originally there

peter11435

You won’t see GE as you enter the studios

yensidtlaw1969

To be fair, not only do we now have trees that are 12 years taller, but they also themed the backside of the building in response to the criticism. So, not only is the comparison iffy, but the example you chose happens to prove the worth of the criticism.

I think also that the Backside of Everest™ pales in comparison to the big, hulking issue inside, which has perhaps stolen focus on the point of that attraction.

I'm sure the talk about it will have died down 12 years out from the opening of Guardians, but this will likely remain one of the most exceptionally egregious theming oversights in Walt Disney World. There isn't another box building anywhere in the 'World as glaring and obvious as this one. At least the Everest building is redeemed by the Mountain around it, and Soarin' is shaped to echo an airplane hangar, tying in to the attraction it houses.

The Guardians Gravity building is expected to be ignored despite being the most conspicuous show building on property, and no effort is being made to theme it to anything. Probably won't ruin vacations, but it's a new low for theming.

Castle Cake Apologist

I really don't understand your point here? You're saying people shouldn't complain about this unthemed show building because they complained about the unthemed backside of the Everest show building and as a result, Disney themed it and so they stopped complaining? That seems like it vindicates the complaining.

Also, this is 100x worse than everest. You can literally see this giant warehouse from all over the park, not just the parking lot.

As an aside, I believe the backside of Everest was originally left intentionally unthemed. The parking lot at DAK is meant to be especially concrete and utilitarian in order to provide a better contrast with the lushness of the park itself. The parking lot is man, the park is nature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom