GU Chomps

Gabe1124

Original Poster
So I got a couple packs of these to experiment with on my long runs, I was wondering if anyone has used them or something similar, looking for advice on how many to take when. I have yet to use any gels or chews so this will be my first time using them. Tonight I am doing a 10 mile run , just wondering how many to eat at what points? Thanks for the help!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Gels and Chews are often misused. So, it was smart to ask. It typically takes 30 minutes (or a little more) for your body to process gels/Gu/chomps etc. So, if you slam one with 1 mile to go, it will not benefit you accept for the ride home or in the shower. LOL. Also, when you take nutrition (gels/Gu/chomps) you must take around 4oz's of water with it so your body can digest it with ease. If you dont take it with water, then your body will pull fluid from the rest of your body to help digest it. This could dehydrate you more and counter act the benefits of the nutrition. I know you are probably going to experiment with the nutrition (very smart) but know that if you eat a descent amount of carbs or you have eaten well for at least 3 days prior, you can run up to 18 miles with stored carbs. I just wanted to mention that since they can be pricey if you started using them for sort of long runs like 10 miles. Every runner is different, but I dont take nutrition unless im running 15+ miles.

So, here are some easy rules to follow.
1) Know that it take 30 minutes to digest
2) take with 4 oz's of water
3) Use on a test run like you are. Some find them to be GI problems.

Good luck.

Ariel484

I take 1/2 bag (4 chomps) every 4 miles and I don't use them for runs of less than 7 miles. Definitely agree that you should test them first to make sure they work for you, and to find the how often taking them works for you. :)

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'll second what Steve said. I dont' use them for short runs, as they take awhile to get into your system, and anything under 6-7 miles really isn't worth it, IMO. You MUST MUST MUST take water with them, or they will have the opposite effect on your body that you intended. My wife can't use them, as they rip her up inside. Just figure out when you start to tire out a little, and take it awhile before that. I go every 40 minutes like clockwork, whether I feel like I'll need it or not....as well as about 15-20 minutes before a run begins. If you're looking for just plain old carbs during a race, sometimes something as simple as fig newtons can be just as beneficial to you...it's a quick jolt of sugar and carbs that your body can easily digest. I've used these well in the past, and my wife swears by them, as well as honey stinger waffles, which are all natural.

joel_maxwell

I'll second what Steve said. I dont' use them for short runs, as they take awhile to get into your system, and anything under 6-7 miles really isn't worth it, IMO. You MUST MUST MUST take water with them, or they will have the opposite effect on your body that you intended. My wife can't use them, as they rip her up inside. Just figure out when you start to tire out a little, and take it awhile before that. I go every 40 minutes like clockwork, whether I feel like I'll need it or not....as well as about 15-20 minutes before a run begins. If you're looking for just plain old carbs during a race, sometimes something as simple as fig newtons can be just as beneficial to you...it's a quick jolt of sugar and carbs that your body can easily digest. I've used these well in the past, and my wife swears by them, as well as honey stinger waffles, which are all natural.
Im glad I tested the Honey Stinger waffles. I take the Honey Stinger Chews and Im fine, but I have tested the waffles out twice, and they seemed slightly rich/greasy... so it didnt sit well. Either time.

Gabe1124

Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys used them last night and they helped, my wife had been struggling with our longer runs (which to us is anything close to 10) only been running since May. She had been feeling pretty bad after long runs, but they really helped, we only had two packs so we took 4 before our run and then 4 mid way through, worked great! Thanks for the help guys!

JillC LI

Thanks for the help guys used them last night and they helped, my wife had been struggling with our longer runs (which to us is anything close to 10) only been running since May. She had been feeling pretty bad after long runs, but they really helped, we only had two packs so we took 4 before our run and then 4 mid way through, worked great! Thanks for the help guys!

Glad they worked. Another suggestion might be to carry gatorade instead of water on your 10 mile runs. That way you get the extra burst of energy in addition to the liquid without having to take any gel or gu. I only use the gu or cliff bloks for 12 miles or more.

joel_maxwell

Glad they worked. Another suggestion might be to carry gatorade instead of water on your 10 mile runs. That way you get the extra burst of energy in addition to the liquid without having to take any gel or gu. I only use the gu or cliff bloks for 12 miles or more.
That is what I do. Ill take liquid energy for anything 15 and under (unless Im practicing the regime with longer weeks to follow on a full schedule, then I might start taking nutrition every 30 minutes to get use to it GI wise)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom