Goofy

bkgrim

Original Poster
How do you go about training for this run. I ran the half last year and will run again in 2013 ( taking high school on a band performance on cruise ship this year)

I would like to walk the 5k then get up and run walk both the 1/2 and full on the next 2 days. Is there training material out there for this or the goofy?:shrug:

GoofyRacer11

I ran the half in 2010 am running the Goofy Challenge this January. I started my training in June and started at 13 miles at my long run over the past 4-5 months, I have increased my long run to 20 miles. Right now I am alternating my long runs in the following: 16,18,18, and 20. Also, I am increasing my 2nd longest run of 7 miles to 10 miles the day before running my 18-20 miler.

dreamfinder

My training actually ends up mirroring the actual race. Most training plans recommend splitting up your long runs over the week, but I end up doing them on Sat/Sun. May not be the best thing for me, but it works. So I end up just adding miles to both days, ending up at around 13/20 at the max.

Ariel484

My training actually ends up mirroring the actual race. Most training plans recommend splitting up your long runs over the week, but I end up doing them on Sat/Sun. May not be the best thing for me, but it works. So I end up just adding miles to both days, ending up at around 13/20 at the max.

I think I would do something similar if I ever worked up the nerve to tackle this...specifically I'd most likely do something similar to a Hal Higdon Novice plan with the long run on Sunday and the sorta-long run the day before. I am pretty sure there is a Galloway plan for the Goofy posted at runDisney.com, but I remember looking at it and thinking it wouldn't work for me personally. :shrug:

Disney Dawg88

How do you go about training for this run. I ran the half last year and will run again in 2013 ( taking high school on a band performance on cruise ship this year)

I would like to walk the 5k then get up and run walk both the 1/2 and full on the next 2 days. Is there training material out there for this or the goofy?:shrug:

Well the good news is that you will have plenty of time to prepare. I don't think that there is a specific training plan for the Goofy but it's probably best to follow a marathon training program. I ran the Goofy in 2008 and I wish I had a better game plan for it . . . the first mistake I made was not running and training nearly enough for it. This probably isn't the training material that you're looking for but I can offer you some recommendations:

1. I really really would recommend that you NOT participate in the 5k the day before both races. To each there own but you really need to conserve as much energy as you can. Running 39 miles over two days takes a toll on your body and you really should rest and stay off of your feet the day before. In addition to all the miles you will be running, you're going to add at least a mile or so walking to the start lines both days as you know. It might not be a mile, but it's not a 100 yard walk either. So if it were me I wouldn't go anywhere near that 5k . . . even if it's only a couple of miles.
2. Strength training - I would recommend getting your legs as strong as you can by lifting weights, plyometrics, etc. You should cut off sometime leading up to the race though. I performed best at the 07 half marathon as it was just after I had finished P90X. The plyometric workouts alone from P90X made a huge difference, I had zero leg muscle fatigue running those 13+ miles. The following year I hadn't done nearly as many leg workouts other than running and I can tell you that it made a huge difference in how I felt and ran.
3. Set goals - since you're going to run the Goofy, do you want to finish a race or both races in a specific time or are you just trying to finish? Some runners I know wanted to finish the marathon in under 4 hours and took it easy in the half marathon the day before. I never set any goals and I wish I did as I would have gone for specific times in both races, that might not be the same case with you though.

If you have any other questions I would be happy to help, but looking back at it now those are three things that I would have done. Best of luck with your training, I'll definitely be doing the Goofy in 2013 as well.

lukacseven

Did a similar plan a few years ago...I trained as if I was doing the marathon only, but cut my Sunday run miles in half for Saturday. I ended up doing all 3 races, as well and probably felt better on that followig Monday than I did after any other race.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom