Goofy Barnstormer

snowdog

Original Poster
:sohappy: We are looking forward to a May vacation in DW , our 11 yr old does not like
roller coasters, when he was 10 we went of the water coaster at Sea World, Journey
to Atlantis and he says he will never ride one again. Do you think he might like the Goofy
Barnstormer and can adults ride also. Do you think I can do Splash Mt by myself, I do not
like heights but heard it is a great ride, which is scarier, space mt or splash mt. Thank you
for your replies.

Bairstow

Well hmm...there's a dilemma. I'd say that Splash Mountain is probably less intimidating than Space Mountain, as the queue line of Space Mountain alone should be enough to scare any rollercoaster hater away pretty quickly, which is unfortunate as Splash is by far the scarier ride. You might actually have better luck with Big Thunder mountain, as you never leave the "ground". Big Thunder is truly the acrophobic's coaster.
The Barnstormer is also an option, but it's just not very fun and defnitely LOOKS like a rollercoaster. Adults can ride with no problem.

My opinion: ALL of you could ride Big Thunder, Space, or the Barnstormer and have a good time. Sure, you might not want to get on, but I can almost guaruntee that when it's all over you'll want to go again and won't understand why you were ever afraid. None of them are that fast or high and there's plenty to see on the way. Splash Mountain, on the other hand, is a different story. It's one big drop is something to be reckoned with, and if you have a severe fear of heights or speed, you're not going to have fun on it at all.

Atlantis, by the way, is "worse" than all of these by far.

renthead7

The Barnstormer is very tame for a coaster-it is super short and it doesn't jerk you around too much. The last time that I rode it, adults were riding it also. It's sorta fun, but if there is a long line I would not recommend riding it.

As for riding Splash Mtn alone, I would definately do it. The audio-animatronics and theming are worth it, even if you don't like thrill rides with big drops.

Disneynutcase

Let him have a look at Barnstormer. It's actually really tame and only has about 35-40 seconds of fast stuff. He'll know from there if he can handle anything else.

Splash Mountain only looks scary from the outside, but I've been on it with three year olds who loved it. Best advice, to get a good look at the end drop, don't go past on the close bridge. Instead there is another one down near the "River" where you can actually peek into the tunnel under the first bridge. You kid will see that people don't get that wet and that everyone seems happy and okay. And another way to trick 'em on this one is to take the Train that goes around the park to the Frontierland station. Just before the Frontierland stop, you get a glimpse of the inside of Splash Mountain where he'll see singing fuzzy anamatronic guys.

If he's timid about coasters at age 11, believe me he will not like Space Mountain--not w/o conquering the Barnstormer, Splash Mtn, and even Big Thunder Mtn. And if you're doing other parks, get him to try Star Tours and/or Test Track and maybe even Dinosaur or Primeval Whirl. They will help with the bravery factor (and neither are too intense). Only do Space Mtn if he's up for it after riding all the other rides.

Al

Originally posted by Bairstow
as the queue line of Space Mountain alone should be enough to scare any rollercoaster hater away pretty quickly,

yep, tell me about it :rolleyes:

lol :lol:

hey i was only 11 !!! lol!!! :D

i chickened out about half was through the que - it was lucky because my dad got to ride straight away! :sohappy: ( i had to go through this walkway down to the entrance, where my mum was (she didnt go on) :)

David

We faced the same problem when we carried our 7 year old in 2000. I love coasters and was sure he would too, so I started him out on the Barnstormer. Since the seats are not cushioned, it was more rough on him than he expected, and since then he has not even considered going on a coaster. I am going to try him on Spalsh Mountain in October and see if his opinion has changed. Even though it is not a coaster, the drop resemembles on a coaster and maybe he will change his opinion.

starsky

My advice would be, if they can handle the dark drop on Pirates otC they can probably handle Splash Mountain. The drop on Splash is only a small section of the ride and in the long run can enable people to get over their fear of rides.

howlin_mad

Actually, you might be better off just getting in line for the rides without letting the little kids take a look at the ride. If they were already nervous about riding coasters, do you think it'll help them out by having them watch the ride and seeing those people scream on the way down? Stuff like that will probably scare the living daylights out of them. Just get in line and make him experience the ride firsthand.

Here's what I would do. First, I would show them pictures of the ride, so the have a general idea of what the ride is like. Then I would be sure to explain that it's just a fun ride, and that nobody gets hurt or killed. Then upon entering the park just head straight to the line que without listening to their begging or pleading not to ride. If you back out now then they'll learn that it's possible to get out of things just by complaining, and that they suddenly have control over you. Who's the one in charge here? The first test would be Splash Mountain. This is a good way to see how they would handle the sharp drops and speeds associated with coasters, and it has plenty of breaks between the drops. The next test would be Goofy's Barnstormer (warning fellow adults -- the seats are plastic and designed for little kids, so don't expect a whole lot of comfort on the ride) to see how they handle an actual coaster train and being outdoors on a real coaster track. After that would be Big Thunder Mountain to see how they handle a longer coaster with sudden drops, dark tunnels, steep turns, and moderate vertical and lateral G's. If everything goes well, then it's off to Space Mountain for the final test.

Remember that the best way to get a kid (or an adult) to try a coaster is to just get them on it and experience it for themselves. If you let them back out it'll just teach them to back away from their fears and problems. Also remember that sometimes one ride isn't enough. They may be so scared and terrified the first time that they'll actually forget how the ride was and still not want to ride it again. The second time will be mucho better since they'll be ready this time and know what to expect. Now if two times are bad, then perhaps coasters just aren't for them right now.

Pioneer Hall

The barnstormer is nothing, and your child should be fine. It is over before it even starts. He will probably love it. I then recommend you taking him on Big Thunder Mountain becuase he will probably like that even more. Both are very tame with next to nothing hills.

BigNorm

I didn't ride the Barnstormer until I was about 16 or 17, but even though it's only a few seconds long, it's a great coaster for the kids.

Beauty and the

Dear Howlin- Mad, I'm so glad you are not my parent,I guess you have never been scared of anything in your life, or have never been a kid.:brick: :brick:

nikimsu2002

Snowdog-

I am scared of heights and roller coasters and i went on Splash Mountain. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I also rode Space Mountain, Big Thunder, and Rock 'N' Roller Coaster. I have never been on Barnstromer but my 7 year old cousin rode it and loved it. :p

1OF5DISNEYGEEKS

Kids are funny, I have an eleven year old daughter who would ride RnR, Space mountain and big thunder until the cows came home but would not,even if her life depended on it, get on Splash Mountain. As far as Goofy's Barnstormer I took my three year old son on it and he was thrilled. He wanted to get on Big Thunder after riding Goofy's Barn. but was about a 1/4" short...maybe next time...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom