Good news for all the parks in Orlando

seascape

Original Poster
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...ncy-rates-average-daily-room-rates-14-percent
According to the Orlando Sentinel Hotel Occupancy was up in April by 5%, which is an increase of just about 7% in number of rooms occupied, not counting new hotels. For April occupancy was up from 72% to 77%. That is a huge number given the number of hotel rooms in all of Orlando. The average price per room also rose $9 a night, from $106.40 to $115.45. For the first 7 months of the counties physcal year tourist tax revenue was up 7%. I think both Universal and Disney are well on the way to another year of record attendance. Both parks benefit from off site customers and the longer they stay the more both parks make.

jt04

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...ncy-rates-average-daily-room-rates-14-percent
According to the Orlando Sentinel Hotel Occupancy was up in April by 5%, which is an increase of just about 7% in number of rooms occupied, not counting new hotels. For April occupancy was up from 72% to 77%. That is a huge number given the number of hotel rooms in all of Orlando. The average price per room also rose $9 a night, from $106.40 to $115.45. For the first 7 months of the counties physcal year tourist tax revenue was up 7%. I think both Universal and Disney are well on the way to another year of record attendance. Both parks benefit from off site customers and the longer they stay the more both parks make.

The mouse is going to have to add something in 2015 to take advantage of what should be an amazing year.

xstech25

Orlando tourism is a good indicator of the economy: when people in general are more willing to spend you will see attendance go up. Our economy has been in the doldrums now for the better part of a decade but Orlando has been helped by the rise of the middle class in developing countries, and now that Americans are finally starting to find some footing and are more willing to go on vacations it is expected for booking rates to rise.

seascape

Original Poster
Orlando tourism is a good indicator of the economy: when people in general are more willing to spend you will see attendance go up. Our economy has been in the doldrums now for the better part of a decade but Orlando has been helped by the rise of the middle class in developing countries, and now that Americans are finally starting to find some footing and are more willing to go on vacations it is expected for booking rates to rise.

Here is some more good news on the forcast for the summer travel season.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/des...ricans-primed-for-summer-vacation-travel.html

Survey Finds Americans Primed for Summer Vacation Travel

Americans are ready for some summer vacation travel, according to results of a new survey from travel insurance provider Allianz Global Assistance USA. The survey reports more than half of U.S. travelers will take a vacation this summer and spend a collective $100 billion on such travel in 2014, up 20 percent from 2013.

The Allianz Travel Insurance Vacation Confidence Index tracks Americans’ confidence in their ability to take summer vacations and reports their intended spending while away. The study found more than half of the Americans surveyed (52 percent) say they will take a vacation this summer, up five percentage points from Allianz’ 2013 survey. Moreover, Americans will spend an average of $1,894 on family vacations this year, up eight percent from $1,755 in 2013.

Americans’ increased intent to travel this summer is good news for travel marketers, who will reap an additional $18 billion over the $82 billion vacationers spent on summer travel in 2013, according to the survey. Travelers ages 35 to 54 will spend the most on their vacation ($2,359), followed by those ages 55 and over ($1,733) and those aged 18 to 34 ($1,411).

Allianz’ survey also found the country’s “vacation deficit” - the percentage of Americans who think that a vacation is important but are not confident they’ll be able to take one – has eased. One in five Americans (21 percent) is facing a vacation deficit, down three points from 24 percent in 2013. In addition fewer Americans report being vacation deprived as four in 10 (39 percent) say they haven’t had a vacation in more than two years, down five percentage points from 2013.

“Summer travel has rebounded strongly, and that’s good news for the travel industry,” said Mike Nelson, Allianz’ CEO.

In addition more travelers are considering purchasing travel insurance. Nearly half of the Americans surveyed (49 percent) said recent global events have caused them to consider purchasing travel insurance for future foreign travel. Another one in three respondents (34 percent) have already purchased travel insurance for a trip abroad. “While Americans are eager to experience new places and cultures, they are also savvy enough to protect their vacation with travel insurance,” Nelson added.

Allianz’ 2014 survey findings are based on an Ipsos poll conducted June 6 to 10, 2014. The Vacation Confidence Index has been conducted each summer since 2010 and is based on a nationally representative sample of 1,000 randomly selected U.S. adults interviewed by telephone.

jt04

Here is some more good news on the forcast for the summer travel season.

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/des...ricans-primed-for-summer-vacation-travel.html

Survey Finds Americans Primed for Summer Vacation Travel

Americans are ready for some summer vacation travel, according to results of a new survey from travel insurance provider Allianz Global Assistance USA. The survey reports more than half of U.S. travelers will take a vacation this summer and spend a collective $100 billion on such travel in 2014, up 20 percent from 2013.

The Allianz Travel Insurance Vacation Confidence Index tracks Americans’ confidence in their ability to take summer vacations and reports their intended spending while away. The study found more than half of the Americans surveyed (52 percent) say they will take a vacation this summer, up five percentage points from Allianz’ 2013 survey. Moreover, Americans will spend an average of $1,894 on family vacations this year, up eight percent from $1,755 in 2013.

Americans’ increased intent to travel this summer is good news for travel marketers, who will reap an additional $18 billion over the $82 billion vacationers spent on summer travel in 2013, according to the survey. Travelers ages 35 to 54 will spend the most on their vacation ($2,359), followed by those ages 55 and over ($1,733) and those aged 18 to 34 ($1,411).

Allianz’ survey also found the country’s “vacation deficit” - the percentage of Americans who think that a vacation is important but are not confident they’ll be able to take one – has eased. One in five Americans (21 percent) is facing a vacation deficit, down three points from 24 percent in 2013. In addition fewer Americans report being vacation deprived as four in 10 (39 percent) say they haven’t had a vacation in more than two years, down five percentage points from 2013.

“Summer travel has rebounded strongly, and that’s good news for the travel industry,” said Mike Nelson, Allianz’ CEO.

In addition more travelers are considering purchasing travel insurance. Nearly half of the Americans surveyed (49 percent) said recent global events have caused them to consider purchasing travel insurance for future foreign travel. Another one in three respondents (34 percent) have already purchased travel insurance for a trip abroad. “While Americans are eager to experience new places and cultures, they are also savvy enough to protect their vacation with travel insurance,” Nelson added.

Allianz’ 2014 survey findings are based on an Ipsos poll conducted June 6 to 10, 2014. The Vacation Confidence Index has been conducted each summer since 2010 and is based on a nationally representative sample of 1,000 randomly selected U.S. adults interviewed by telephone.

All well and good but Potter will be the big draw in Orlando for the forseeable future. And then Kong, International Drive, Disney Springs.

Perhaps Disney will jump in too in 2015 and 2016 with additions to the parks. We will see.

ToTBellHop

All well and good but Potter will be the big draw in Orlando for the forseeable future. And then Kong, International Drive, Disney Springs.

Perhaps Disney will jump in too in 2015 and 2016 with additions to the parks. We will see.
I know I'm already making plans for my visit when Disney Springs is done. Easily half of my time during that vacation will be spent exploring every nook and cranny of the outdoor mall.

ThemeParkJunkee

I know I'm already making plans for my visit when Disney Springs is done. Easily half of my time during that vacation will be spent exploring every nook and cranny of the outdoor mall.

I am avoiding DTD/Disney Springs this fall like the plague. But, maybe, just maybe, I'll go there in 2018 for my next trip. I am waiting that long because...that's when there will be enough new stuff to spring for airfare to Orlando. It may just be very pretty.

seascape

Original Poster
I think both companies will have a very strong and 2014 and the 2015. If the economy continues to improve both companies should see many years of growth. The best signs are the development in Flamingo Crossing and I expect with this news that Loews will start building their next Universal Hotel. Remember Universal hotels are a partnership and not owned and operated by Universal. This is just like the D&S at WDW.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

The mouse might make an announcement but unless they are secretly building something I doubt there will be anything in 2015.
Certainly nothing major. I'm sure there will be SOMETHING, though. They open SOMETHING new every year. We'd be lucky to get a new show or two. Maybe Wishes replacement by late 2015. AK's new entertainment is either late 2015 or early 2016.

seascape

Original Poster
corporate.visitorlando.com/research-and-statistics/orlando-hotel-statistics/monthly-hotel-occupancy-and-adr/

This is another report showing hotel occupancy by specific areas in metro orlando. The most fascinating area is Kissimmee West which showed an increase in occupancy of 24.1% in April and 12.6% year to date but a decrease in price for the room from $69.60 to $65.75 year to date. As for breakdown between business and leisure their increases were 8% and 8.3% respectively in April but on a year to date bases business grew faster 4.9% to 4.4 %.

How to analyze this? I think to get a full understanding one would need to know the breakdown of customers who are local and those who are vacationers. Only Disney and Universal know this for sure. But with Cabana Bay being new I am sure Universal picked up a lot of customers. On the other hand the Kissimmee area increased the most of any area and Disney should do well from there. I still think on a percentage basis Universal will grow faster in 2014 than Disney but with the magnitude not the increase in occupancy both company will have major increases in attendance and that will result in increases at all 3 non MK parks of more than last year's. Based on the numbers so far i would think Disney will gain of about 6% or 3 million and Universal will gain about 15% or 2.5 million. The reason for the much higher percentage for Universal is Cabana Bay which is new but even with the new rooms the occupancy rate is still going up. This clearly shows Loews should start construction soon on a new hotel with their partner Universal. Also if Sea World does not see a comeback in attendance this year they are in big trouble.

Disneyhead'71

corporate.visitorlando.com/research-and-statistics/orlando-hotel-statistics/monthly-hotel-occupancy-and-adr/

This is another report showing hotel occupancy by specific areas in metro orlando. The most fascinating area is Kissimmee West which showed an increase in occupancy of 24.1% in April and 12.6% year to date but a decrease in price for the room from $69.60 to $65.75 year to date. As for breakdown between business and leisure their increases were 8% and 8.3% respectively in April but on a year to date bases business grew faster 4.9% to 4.4 %.

How to analyze this? I think to get a full understanding one would need to know the breakdown of customers who are local and those who are vacationers. Only Disney and Universal know this for sure. But with Cabana Bay being new I am sure Universal picked up a lot of customers. On the other hand the Kissimmee area increased the most of any area and Disney should do well from there. I still think on a percentage basis Universal will grow faster in 2014 than Disney but with the magnitude not the increase in occupancy both company will have major increases in attendance and that will result in increases at all 3 non MK parks of more than last year's. Based on the numbers so far i would think Disney will gain of about 6% or 3 million and Universal will gain about 15% or 2.5 million. The reason for the much higher percentage for Universal is Cabana Bay which is new but even with the new rooms the occupancy rate is still going up. This clearly shows Loews should start construction soon on a new hotel with their partner Universal. Also if Sea World does not see a comeback in attendance this year they are in big trouble.
They filed permits yesterday to start construction on their 5th hotel.

jt04

1,000 rooms, and is billed as an expansion to RPR. But it is across a street and only connected by the convention center. So it looks like a sister hotel like Swan and Dolphin.

Does anyone have a map showing where the rumored third gate will be going. And also, how does Uni plan to handle increased parking demands? It really seems like they are dedicating all their remaining land to resorts only.

jt04

I really do not think any resort can be in "big trouble" with the growth that is happening in the local area. Only so many people can fit into Potter 1 and Potter 2. People will be looking for a respite from the chaos and claustrophobia. Sea World will be right there to welcome exhausted guests from Universal for a day or two. Plus Sea World will benefit from the amazing growth of I-Drive and conventions. The resort is well positioned for the 21st century in Orlando.

seascape

Original Poster
1,000 rooms, and is billed as an expansion to RPR. But it is across a street and only connected by the convention center. So it looks like a sister hotel like Swan and Dolphin.
Thanks for the info. I think it's clear that the travel industry has a very favorable view of the tourist market in Orlando. Both loews and Marriott are not companies that take major chances. I expect Flamingo Crossing to have more announcements soon, the plans calls for 5,000 hotel and timeshare rooms. Based on the way things look now a Disney and Universal could both have over 5,000 more hotel rooms on their property by 2021. That would give Disney 40,000 and Universal 9,200.

The biggest question facing the local residents are how much do they count. As the number of vacationers increase the less the need for local residents and season tickets do not produce anywhere near what the vacationers spend. As has been pointed out the 2 day park to park ticket is what Universal wants to sell and the 4 or 5 day ticket is what Disney wants to sell. People like me who have a season ticket at Disney and spend 20 days at the parks only pay $25.00 a day. I am a DVC owner and so they make money from me on that and for food so I am probably worth it for them. However someone who lives in Orlando is not as profitable. A season pass gives free parking. Going for a couple of hours a day does not require meals or any other purchase. I think everyone can count on Universal increasing their season ticket prices to just a few dollars less than Disney and add blackout dates.

seascape

Original Poster
I really do not think any resort can be in "big trouble" with the growth that is happening in the local area. Only so many people can fit into Potter 1 and Potter 2. People will be looking for a respite from the chaos and claustrophobia. Sea World will be right there to welcome exhausted guests from Universal for a day or two. Plus Sea World will benefit from the amazing growth of I-Drive and conventions. The resort is well positioned for the 21st century in Orlando.
I hope Sea World does well. I agree they should benefit from the growth in tourism. Everyone should. People spending a week should do 3 to 4 days and Disney, 1 to 2 days at USA and a day at Sea World. Depending on the mix there also could be a day for a water park.

michael.fumc

I hope so!!! I am not a potter fan, but the first attraction was awesome though and I hope the next phase is just as amazing and draws a lot, forcing Disney to act.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom