Good look at freeway projects near Disneyland for the next 5 years

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
A good summary with maps of all the current and upcoming construction projects in the Southland.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...-improvement-projects-in-southern-california/

>>
Major Projects in Orange County

Location: I-405 from I-605 near the LA County line to SR-73 in Costa Mesa (16 miles)
Project description: The project includes adding one regular lane in each direction between Euclid Street and I-605 and making improvements to freeway entrances, exits and bridges. In addition, the project will add the 405 Express Lanes, incorporating the existing carpool lanes and a new lane in each direction between SR-73 and I-605. The 405 Express Lanes will give solo drivers the choice to speed up their commute for a toll and give options for carpoolers to use the lanes for free. When the express lanes open, two-person carpools will pay a toll only during peak hours and carpools of three or more will be free at all times.
Construction period: 2018-2023
Total project cost: $1.9 billion

Location: I-5 Widening Project from El Toro Road, south to SR-73
Project description: This project will take place in 3 segments and will add one general purpose lane in both the northbound and southbound directions from Avery Parkway to Alicia Parkway, extend the second carpool lane in each direction from Alicia Parkway to El Toro Road, reconstruct the Avery Parkway and La Paz Road interchanges, construct new auxiliary lanes at 6 locations and reestablish auxiliary lanes, modify on-ramps and off-ramps at 6 locations, convert buffer separated carpool lanes to continuous access, provide standard lane and shoulder widths throughout the majority of the project limits
Construction period: 2019-2023
Total project cost: Approximately $550 million

Project description: Add new general purpose and HOV lanes in each direction and add additional auxiliary lanes from I-405 to I-5 near Tustin
Construction period: 2021 – 2025
Total project cost: Approximately $410 million

Location: I-5 South County Improvement Project (Avenida Pico to San Juan Creek Road)
Project description: This 5.7-mile project extends from Avenida Pico in San Clemente to San Juan Creek Road in San Juan Capistrano. The four-year, $230 million project will: Add a carpool lane in both directions on I-5 from Avenida Pico to San Juan Creek Road; Improve the sight distance on the southbound curve north of PCH; Reconstruct the interchange at Avenida Pico, including widening the northbound Avenida Pico on-ramp to three lanes, and providing dual left-turn lanes to both on-ramps; and add sound walls where needed.
Construction period: 2014-2018
Total project cost: $230 million

Project description: Add second carpool lane in each direction in the cities of Santa Ana, Orange and Tustin
Construction period: 2018-2020
Total project cost: $40 million

Location: SR-22 (Eastbound Route 22 from Harbor Boulevard to northbound 5/57 Interchange.)
Project description: Improve and reconfigure Connector
Construction period: Late 2018
Total project cost: $10 M<<

TP2000

All of these freeway widening projects are thanks to Orange County's Measure M sales tax. A couple years ago I happily voted for a 30 year extension of that sales tax because the OCTA has done such a great job of shepherding most of those funds into freeways and major surface arteries around the county. Compared to the narrow and crumbling freeways up in LA County, the freeways in Orange County are wide and well maintained and OCTA isn't afraid to keep widening and improving them for decades to come.

Lots of good work to come in the next few years!

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
All of these freeway widening projects are thanks to Orange County's Measure M sales tax. A couple years ago I happily voted for a 30 year extension of that sales tax because the OCTA has done such a great job of shepherding most of those funds into freeways and major surface arteries around the county. Compared to the narrow and crumbling freeways up in LA County, the freeways in Orange County are wide and well maintained and OCTA isn't afraid to keep widening and improving them for decades to come.

Lots of good work to come in the next few years!

I agree. As a volunteer for Reform California, I am pushing for the repeal of SB1.

But think either a Statewide version of Measure M, where the funds go directly back to the counties in the same amount collected, with an iron-clad guarantee of not being allowed to be used for anything not spelled out in the measure.

Or allow counties to do the same thing directly tied to the gasoline tax.

Measure M/M2 got my vote.

http://www.octa.net/Projects-and-Programs/Measure-M/Measure-M2-(2011-2041)/M2-Overview/

NobodyElse

Project description: Add second carpool lane in each direction in the cities of Santa Ana, Orange and Tustin
Construction period: 2018-2020
Total project cost: $40 million

Those who have traveled with me in my car have heard me advocate this plan for years. More often than not (in each direction) I'm likely to exit the HOV lane in order to avoid the inevitable bottle-neck slowing that occurs due to the merging. This will now mimic the section of the 405 between 22 and 605, and traffic will flow much more smoothly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom