Going to book today

Club Cooloholic

I'm going to book our trip for our 20th anniversary next summer now that the cruises are listed. Are all ships pretty much equal or is there one to avoid or one more preferred? I'm looking at this cruise. https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/...port-canaveral/august-31-2020-disney-fantasy/
You really can't go wrong with any of the ships. That time of year it is just as warm at Cape Canaveral as it is Miami.
What works for you will depend on if it is just you and wife traveling, if your traveling with kids and what their ages are.
I have done both the Dream and Magic, here are my pros and cons of each.
Dream Pros
If Coming From WDW you can combine a vacation
More stores and shops (a regular art gallery store as opposed to a hallway)
The Picture Scavenger Hunt(this is really fun)
Outside activities Mini-Golf and Aqua Duck(more of a family ride)
Balcony Rooms easier to get at a good price(there are more of them vs Magic)
Spa had open hot tubs(no kids) and that is a huge plus for me. Magic spa only has hot tubs if your paying for a private room.
Dream Cons: Bigger Ship Equals Bigger Crowds. Not ridiculous but I did find it easier to get a table at breakfast and getting on and off the ship there were less people on the magic vs drea
Larger Ship means it take more time to get around.
Adult Pool Section is kind of boring. Meaning the pool is more like wading area.
Bar Section has so many bars, I felt like there was not just one that everyone went to. Great if you want privacy but there was a more fun Atmosphere at the smaller bar section on the Magic.
Disntance from Airport: If you are just doing a cruise it is a hike to get there from any airport.

Magic Pros:
Smaller Ship, makes getting around easier, getting and off the boat easier, and most of all, less people at the private island Cast a way cay, I think like 2,000 less people!
Restaurants were better imo, maybe again because there was smaller crowds, and nothing on the Dream equals the fun and atmosphere of Rupunzels.
I thought the bars and lounges were better and more lively. I think since there are less of them the atmosphere makes them a little more fun and populated(without feeling crowded). I really like the promenade lounge on the magic as it even had a play area for kids!
Kids Club is nearly a tie but I felt that the one on the Magic was located near more stuff and was a bit better lit, but both are modern and awesome for kids.
Rooms seemed to have more storage drawers, maybe I am nuts but I felt like I had way more places vs the Dream were one of the family(me)basically had to live out of one of the suitcases
Location: You can be from the airport to the ship in 20 mins. If you are skipping WD, Miami is a fun place to stay a night or two before and after the cruise, and if you sail in the cooler months it will be warmer right to start.
Great Adult Pool Area. Lots of seating a real pool not just wading area to swim around in, and hot tubs! I do not believe there are any hot tubs in the adult area of the Dream
Better yellow slide(whole family can use it and it is taller)
Cons:
Not near WDW so harder to do a combinded trip. Friends of ours combined a trip to WDW before a Miami cruise but they ended up spending a few hours each way in the car(and nearly missed the boat coming down due to a bad rain storm messing with traffic)
Less Shops and little things, like no dedicated bar/popcorn stand outside the movie theater(they have a cart, not as much options but there is popcorn)
No Aqua Duck, mini golf et. The Sports deck is not nearly as impressive and the main pool is a little smaller. It does have the Aqua Dunk, which really is fun but not everyone can ride(little ones will have to be a certain height) and not everyones cup of tea.

I myself preferred the Magic as did my wife. My kids leaned towards the Dream. For me, it would depend if I wanted to do WDW at all. If not I would go with the Magic.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

We did. We are doing the Disney Fantasy 8/31-9/4 2020. So looking forward to it. We are doing Verandah and room 7584 :)

Thank you for everyone's input!
Nice, I did not know the Fantasy had cruises that short now, I though they were all left to the Dream, interesting, because we prefer shorter ones and thought the Fantasy would never be an option

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom