Going for 1 day fastpass question.

Trackmaster

They liked the first response, which was the correct answer. They’re better off if that was the end of it.

But in all fairness, that wasn't really a question of general interest. Its something that you could easily look up and not waste a thread on. What is interesting to talk about are the intricacies of the system and veteran FP+ strategy.

I'm sure that the answer helped the OP, but it wasn't really stimulating for anybody else not involved -- afterall, its a message board, not a one on one chat. Discussions should be in public interest.

JohnD

But in all fairness, that wasn't really a question of general interest. Its something that you could easily look up and not waste a thread on. What is interesting to talk about are the intricacies of the system and veteran FP+ strategy.

I'm sure that the answer helped the OP, but it wasn't really stimulating for anybody else not involved -- afterall, its a message board, not a one on one chat. Discussions should be in public interest.

Seriously? So forget his question. Let’s hijack the thread instead. You and Cav are a piece of work.

JohnD

That's not the culture of this board. Many boards have an unwritten (or written) rule that you shouldn't start a new thread unless it's absolutely necessary, but that's not how it's handled here.

Exactly. The culture here is that there are new members who start all the time with earnest questions (I was one of them in 2013). Those questions should be handled honestly and with the courtesy and respect due to the person who asked.

Trackmaster

That's not the culture of this board. Many boards have an unwritten (or written) rule that you shouldn't start a new thread unless it's absolutely necessary, but that's not how it's handled here.

I mean I think its fine to ask those questions. I just think its also OK to have interesting conversations that might branch out from the original post when its already answered.

Tony the Tigger

I mean I think its fine to ask those questions. I just think its also OK to have interesting conversations that might branch out from the original post when its already answered.

I recently left a Facebook AP group because they were so snobby to the newbies (not to me.) The guy running it was going on about how his group was for “experts” and this was not a place to ask about how to make ADR’s, etc.

IMO, that kind of person has emotional issues lol.

Maybe they could make a section here for basic questions, and those who choose to answer them helpfully could go to that section, or not.

Trackmaster

I recently left a Facebook AP group because they were so snobby to the newbies (not to me.) The guy running it was going on about how his group was for “experts” and this was not a place to ask about how to make ADR’s, etc.

IMO, that kind of person has emotional issues lol.

Maybe they could make a section here for basic questions, and those who choose to answer them helpfully could go to that section, or not.

Its fine. I'm also active on Quora and love answering people's questions. What I've noticed is that its relatively easy to have a lot of answers and knowledge, but actually a much more complex and interesting skillset to have is to be able to ask a great question that sparks debate and intrigue. Its also interesting that little details in how you ask a question can affect the answers you get. Its a lot more difficult than it seems to ask a good question if you want a specific answer for a complex concept that's hard to convey and that information isn't easily available for.

Trackmaster

And don't think that I'm ripping on the OP. It was a simple question, but he/she asked it perfectly, and it was answered perfectly, so he/she accomplished their goals. The art of question asking comes into play with complex concepts for difficult and/or esoteric subject matter.

But I'm certainly of the mindset that "the dumbest question is the one not asked." You never know until you ask. A lot of times when people call something a "dumb question" they in fact have the wrong answers, and probably should have been asking that question themselves.

Tony the Tigger

Its fine. I'm also active on Quora and love answering people's questions. What I've noticed is that its relatively easy to have a lot of answers and knowledge, but actually a much more complex and interesting skillset to have is to be able to ask a great question that sparks debate and intrigue. Its also interesting that little details in how you ask a question can affect the answers you get. Its a lot more difficult than it seems to ask a good question if you want a specific answer for a complex concept that's hard to convey and that information isn't easily available for.

In the early eBay days, as a seller, I’d hang out on the “Q&A” board. There was no eBay customer service phone number back then. Those of us who had a little more experience would sit there and chitchat late into the night, and when newbies popped up, we would answer their questions and then go back to chitchat.

Everyone gets different things out of posting here. Some just like to argue, some have legit questions, some like to stir things up, some are peacemakers, CM’s, self-proclaimed “experts,” real experts. And the Earth goes ‘round the sun again.

Trackmaster

In the early eBay days, as a seller, I’d hang out on the “Q&A” board. There was no eBay customer service phone number back then. Those of us who had a little more experience would sit there and chitchat late into the night, and when newbies popped up, we would answer their questions and then go back to chitchat.

Everyone gets different things out of posting here. Some just like to argue, some have legit questions, some like to stir things up, some are peacemakers, CM’s, self-proclaimed “experts,” real experts. And the Earth goes ‘round the sun again.

Quora is probably a little more competitive than the average message board. A lot of people want to get the most views, the most upvotes, and to be the featured answered for a given question. But its also a site where celebrities, captains of industry, scientists, and politicians will jump in occasionally and provide answers. You pretty much have to go as far as to pull in pictures, facts, and citations to be in the running to be the featured answer. I like giving good answers that help people, but I'm a little too lazy to go as far as saving pictures to my desktop and pulling them in, or doing the research to cite something -- just to be featured answer. But it is cool knowing that your answer is being read by 100,000's of people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom