Getting to Universal from WDW without a car?

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Hello,

I just had my trip in January extended by an extra two days. That was unexpected, and entirely based on a flight error. Well, no fear, more time for fun!

I think I'd like to spend a single day at Universal. I have not been in the actual Universal Studios park since CityWalk was added and the giant concrete monster garage was built in place of a parking lot (with people who try and sell you CCs on the way in!). Anyway, I'm at a loss for how to get there in the first place.

I plan to take Magical Express from the airport to my hotel. I plan to stay on property all 12 days, as my AP rate was about $49 per night except that Fri and Sat night. Well, how do I get to Universal without a car? I'll throw another problem at ya too, I'm visually impaired, and don't drive. So no renting a car for me. Things I can imagine may exist, but I don't know about:

* Take cab, how much do you think it may cost?
* Universal may have some form of transportation from DTD to try and grab some business? Wishful thinking I know.
* Meers may have some sort of park shuttle between the two properties?
* THe public transportation system may have a way, but who knows how many transfers and busses may be involved.

So, the obvious answer would be to find someone who plans to go to both, and tag along. That's not happening either, I'm going it alone to WDW. If you've got any ideas, let me know. I probably would just give up, but that Simpsons ride is calling me.

Ryan

Rob562

Mears is $18 round-trip per person for a shared van/bus (meaning it'll stop at multiple hotels to pick people up before heading to Universal).

-Rob

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Wow, sweet. Thanks everyone so far for the tips. I think I'm really going to do this, how early do they start running, and how late do they stop? I'd love to stick around and see what I can while I'm there for a day. Can you do both parks in one day?

This is really awesome, I didn't have a reason to go before PI closed and Simpsons wasn't at Universal. What else is worth checking out? I know this is a Disney board, and Uni is the enemy, but hey, its another park and I didn't plan on having two extra days. Oh, how much is their one day park hopping equiv?

THanks,
Ryan

BuddhasHomeGirl

I never had a problem with Mears and it never took a long time ot get to the park. :)

Make sure you visit Islands of Adventure, its just a bunch of awesomeness!! lol

Get the two park pass its well worth it, they also have a pass that for $81.00, you can go unlimited, both parks for a week.

Wow, sweet. Thanks everyone so far for the tips. I think I'm really going to do this, how early do they start running, and how late do they stop? I'd love to stick around and see what I can while I'm there for a day. Can you do both parks in one day?

This is really awesome, I didn't have a reason to go before PI closed and Simpsons wasn't at Universal. What else is worth checking out? I know this is a Disney board, and Uni is the enemy, but hey, its another park and I didn't plan on having two extra days. Oh, how much is their one day park hopping equiv?

THanks,
Ryan

Here's just a quick list of "worth it" attractions by park
IOA
-Spiderman (still voted the best dark ride ever built . . for now)
-Popeye's (raft ride that will soak you head to toe, by far the best of it's kind)
-Cat in the Hat (cute dark ride)
-and then there's the coasters and log flumes, hulk, dragons, dudley doo-right, etc.

USF
-MIB (so far the best interactive dark ride ever)
-ET (classic dark ride)
-Jaws (another classic)
-Simpsons
-Terminator 2:3D (best 3D show due to blend of 3D, effects, and live action)
-Mummy
-Horror Makeup Show (this is really overlooked since people don't want to learn about horror makeup, but it's a really fun and entertaining show)

The rest I've left out are still great attractions, and if you have the time, then by all means go check them out :)

David

We used Mears last year, as we had done one previus trips, and it was a disaster. The bus also makes stops at other hotels and Sea World on the way to Universal. The driver missed the exit to Sea World and a passenger brought it to his attention. He had to make a return to Sea World, construction was going on some streets that he wanted to use, and all in all we were 45 minutes late in getting to Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom