Gasparilla Grill & Games Closing for Refurb

wdwfan22

Original Poster
I don't think I've seen this posted yet, so I thought I would share. Gasparilla Grill and Games at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort will be closing for an extensive refurb late August through Mid December of this year. Not sure as of now what this will mean for quick service options, but staff have been notified of the closure. Look for exact dates to be announced soon.

Figment82

That place needs a refurb badly. The last time we were there, I was hesitant to sit down, the chairs were so filthy looking. The quick service location at their flagship resort deserves much better than what they currently have. I absolutely love the food offerings, but the room itself needs some TLC.

Tomi-Rocket

Yeah, I can see that. We were there back in '09 and even then it could've used some TLC. Good food though but the look didn't quite fit with the rest of the resort.

Can't wait to see it when it's completed!

InLikeFlynn

So what will they offer to guests staying there?? This is the only QS option?
We're booked there end of Sept...not sure I will keep the room if there is no food to be had in the resort. :/

wdwfan22

Original Poster
We're booked there end of Sept...not sure I will keep the room if there is no food to be had in the resort. :/

The pool bar at the feature pool is currently being refurbished now, when it reopens it will offer food service options. My guess is this will be the Quick Service option while Gasparilla is down.

Biff215

While the DVC is still a while off, could this partly be in preparation for when it does open? Resorts have always made some minor changes to their stores and/or QS, and this would seem like a possible location if they were going to include the typical DVC groceries and supplies as well. Just a thought.

rudyjr13

This is concerning. Staying there 11/2 and with 2 little ones under 3 this spot is key to our dining plans. Hoping it's open by then or they have an acceptable alternative for QS.

71jason

Mizners Lounge (the bar behind the band) will be turned into a de facto quick serve restaurant for the duation of the refurb. As far as I know, no grill or anything, but there will be coolers with sandwiches and such. I'm assuming a soda fountain as well.

maryszhi

i was wondering when they were going to do this. i went back in may and i couldnt believe how slow it was. The food wasnt great but i was tired and needed to eat. the staff seemed nice though. as for the place itself i am glad to see it updated. It looked like it hadnt been touched since the early to mid 90s

InLikeFlynn

Mizners Lounge (the bar behind the band) will be turned into a de facto quick serve restaurant for the duation of the refurb. As far as I know, no grill or anything, but there will be coolers with sandwiches and such. I'm assuming a soda fountain as well.

So the only option will be what can be kept in a fridge?? Um, we'll have a fridge in our room, it's hot food that my child is going to want to eat. Looks like we'll be canceling that reservation...

rudyjr13

So the only option will be what can be kept in a fridge?? Um, we'll have a fridge in our room, it's hot food that my child is going to want to eat. Looks like we'll be canceling that reservation...

Well, wait for the official word and call them to find out what the plan is. If they can utilize either pool bars it may be ok. I'm worried too but I doubt they will leave us without QS option similar to what it offers.

maryszhi

if you want, and its during monorail operating times, maybe take the monorail to the poly or contemporary :) that way you can get qs without having to get in a park. if not then i don't know. I am sure they will have something :)

Bolna

It will be interesting to see if they change over to real plates and cutlery with the renovation as they have them now at the Art of Animation food court and are saying that they will have them at Be Our Guest for lunch when it is a CS. I think if guests at a value don't eat from paper plates, it would be strange if the guests at the most expensive resort still have to use them...

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It will be interesting to see if they change over to real plates and cutlery with the renovation as they have them now at the Art of Animation food court and are saying that they will have them at Be Our Guest for lunch when it is a CS. I think if guests at a value don't eat from paper plates, it would be strange if the guests at the most expensive resort still have to use them...

yeah absolutely! Really hope that real plates and cutely get rolled out to all the quick service. Paper needs to be kept for kiosks and take out only. When you are paying $10+ for quick service, you don't want it crammed into a paper plate.

71jason

My info is all second-hand, but realistically I don't see them installing a grill area in Mizners just for 4 months. Interestingly, service at Citricos will be expanded during the shut-down--there will be tables in the rotunda and possible as far over as the balcony--but not what you are looking for, food-wise, I'm sure.

Honestly, between this and the DVC construction, I see a lot of unhappy guests this Fall.

COProgressFan

Agree that this place BADLY needs a refurb. The food options are limited, the service is generally poor, and the environment (decor, cleanliness, the annoying video games) leaves something to be desired. Despite its being at the supposed flagship resort, Gasparilla's is the worst quick serve resort location on property.

Really hoping they turn this into a nice quick service place with a better menu and setting. Real tableware would be a great start, as well as a better menu.

HouCuseChickie

Ok- it needs the refurb...but this is also killing my back up plan to get sticky buns. :( I guess I'll be keeping my 1900PF adr after all.

71jason

Latest dates are 8/29 - 12/17.

BTW, Mizners Lounge is closed today through Saturday (7/9 - 7/13). Narcooses is going down for a refurb at some future point, but no dates yet, no idea if it will overlap with Gasparilla refurb.

alissafalco

It just doesn't make any sense to do this right smack dab in the middle of the high season.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/Resorts/Dis...pool-to-close-for-refurbishment-this-year.htm
PoolThe main courtyard pool will be closing August 24 and reopening in December 2012. During this time the pool will be rebuilt to include a zero-entry configuration. The beach pool will remain open during the work.

DiningThe following restaurants will be closed for refurbishment:

Narcoosee's - July 9 to July 22 2012
Citricos - July 23 to August 4 2012
Beach Pool Bar - Currently closed through August 24 2012
Mizner's Lounge - July 9 to July 14 2012
Gasparilla Grill quick service - August 24 to December 2012

During the closure of the quick service Gasparilla Grill, guests will be able to use the newly refurbished Beach Pool Bar and Mizner's Lounge for food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom