Future DCP Mom here. Any advice or tips for me? And GO....

Dory71

Original Poster
My DD has been accepted into the Disney College Program this Fall. I was wondering if any of you had this experience of sending your child off to work their dream job. If you have, please share your thoughts and advice. Can't wait to hear about it.

monykalyn

My oldest did two programs fall 2017 and summer alumni 2018. First was custodial at CBR, second attractions at Studios. She LOVED both. So first piece of advice- try not to get too upset at role placement- there’s pros/cons to everything. She was originally very upset about the resort placement, yet has made some of her bestest friends there, including FT people who love to see her, have invited her down anytime and gave personal numbers for reference- something you don’t hear about with larger population of DCP at the parks. OTOH she loved being in Studios, was there for TSL opening and has cast member collectibles given to her from that time.
2nd- tough as it is: this is her program, and she’s gotta do the work, live the fun, and go through the tough times. You are there for support; there WILL be tough times guaranteed. As hard as it is just try to understand and validate and support, yes she’s working at a place most would love to be in her shoes, but dismissing her very real feelings of frustration by saying that isn’t helpful. We as parents have perspective to know tough times don’t last, the kids don’t yet. If she’s fall it’s very likely she’ll have a bout of homesickness at some point. Encourage her to stick it out “one more week” as very very likely by the time that week has passed she’ll be back on top of the world

3rd- yes they do get discounts but under no circumstances should anyone but her try to acces the “Hub” for those discounts. The Hub is the point from which all things flow> schedule, announcements, job shift requests etc.
Discounts are never guaranteed either. It’s not an automatic 45% off every room on property, the discount may be %25 off value room as only one available. Once in a while there are some great discounts though - we did the Wild Africa Trek last summer, for three of us with her discount was only a bit more than ONE full price tour!
4th- there’s a Facebook group that’s extremely helpful and friendly
Ask to join here as they are a terrific support for us parents missing our kiddos! The Disney college program parents group. I’ve attached the logo so you get the right one, u have to request to join. There’s a whole section of files that can answer just about any question.
Most of all- hang on for the ride! I was fortunate enough to get an Annual pass (which allowed my dd to get all the photopass pics from her time there too) and I visited nearly every month (cheap frontier flights lol), I see from your signature you’ve been quite a bit, and that’s helpful too, so if you do visit know there’s no guarenteed time off. My hubs and I did the DCP back in the 90’s so we had an idea of the work etc.

CONGRATULATIONS to your DD! WHOOOOHOOOO have fun!

Attachments

• 568296EF-62D0-4397-92B8-37A27439D78A.png
    568296EF-62D0-4397-92B8-37A27439D78A.png
    100.3 KB · Views: 282

Dory71

Original Poster
My oldest did two programs fall 2017 and summer alumni 2018. First was custodial at CBR, second attractions at Studios. She LOVED both. So first piece of advice- try not to get too upset at role placement- there’s pros/cons to everything. She was originally very upset about the resort placement, yet has made some of her bestest friends there, including FT people who love to see her, have invited her down anytime and gave personal numbers for reference- something you don’t hear about with larger population of DCP at the parks. OTOH she loved being in Studios, was there for TSL opening and has cast member collectibles given to her from that time.
2nd- tough as it is: this is her program, and she’s gotta do the work, live the fun, and go through the tough times. You are there for support; there WILL be tough times guaranteed. As hard as it is just try to understand and validate and support, yes she’s working at a place most would love to be in her shoes, but dismissing her very real feelings of frustration by saying that isn’t helpful. We as parents have perspective to know tough times don’t last, the kids don’t yet. If she’s fall it’s very likely she’ll have a bout of homesickness at some point. Encourage her to stick it out “one more week” as very very likely by the time that week has passed she’ll be back on top of the world

3rd- yes they do get discounts but under no circumstances should anyone but her try to acces the “Hub” for those discounts. The Hub is the point from which all things flow> schedule, announcements, job shift requests etc.
Discounts are never guaranteed either. It’s not an automatic 45% off every room on property, the discount may be %25 off value room as only one available. Once in a while there are some great discounts though - we did the Wild Africa Trek last summer, for three of us with her discount was only a bit more than ONE full price tour!
4th- there’s a Facebook group that’s extremely helpful and friendly
Ask to join here as they are a terrific support for us parents missing our kiddos! The Disney college program parents group. I’ve attached the logo so you get the right one, u have to request to join. There’s a whole section of files that can answer just about any question.
Most of all- hang on for the ride! I was fortunate enough to get an Annual pass (which allowed my dd to get all the photopass pics from her time there too) and I visited nearly every month (cheap frontier flights lol), I see from your signature you’ve been quite a bit, and that’s helpful too, so if you do visit know there’s no guarenteed time off. My hubs and I did the DCP back in the 90’s so we had an idea of the work etc.

CONGRATULATIONS to your DD! WHOOOOHOOOO have fun!
Thanks so much for all of the great info. I will definitely check out the Facebook page. All we know so far is that she will be assigned attractions. Her best friend is going too and they are hoping to room together. We know there are no guarantees but I think a friend will help with the homesickness. Thanks again!

monykalyn

Attractions encompasses a lot! Can include parking too, and in know every program there’s someone posting upset about being assigned parking, yet the parking cast team seems to be really tight nit, and they end up loving the role.
Oh I hope they do get to room together.
The hardest part for my dd was having roommates who are slobs, never did dishes etc. her second program we’d learned that lesson- be one of first to move out- we did a full clean, took trash out, cleaned fridge and scraped burnt food off stove, and then left. We did the same with first program but she didn’t actually move out until last day and we’d cleaned a day earlier thinking roommates would keep it clean right? Nope was TRASHED in a day. She was worried she’d not get deposit back but she did.
Move in day is only time parents are really allowed in housing complex without elaborate sign in procedures. And they will get their schedule of meetings for housing, Traditions, if they have to do drug testing (attractions does) etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom