Fun things to do with kids at DisneyWorld

MouseMan

This is my first post. I have been lurking this board for years now and decided it was time to post. Because my wife and I visit DisneyWorld regularly, our friends think we are THE authority on DisneyWorld. One friend in particular is taking his wife and 3 boys, a six year old and twin 3 year olds, during Thankdgiving week and is asking for advice on what to do. He's made reservations, on my advice, at Port Orleans Riverside. This is my favorite resort. I've also suggested that he make dining reservations for Thanksgiving dinner in the castle during fireworks. My wife and I did this 2 years ago and loved it. The only other thing that I know to do with kids is the Chip and Dale campfire thing at Fort Wilderness. If anyone can make suggestions I, and my friend, would appreciate it.

tigsmom

I'm not a big planner...a few Ps for dinner is about all we do. With kids that little (and I have been thru this) we kind of let them dictate the day. Nap times, rides, etc. There is nothing worse than miserable kids and parents because they tried to fit too much in.

Welcome to the boards. :wave:

Upvote 0

RogueHabit

Breakfast or Dinner at Chef Mickey's (Contemporary Resort)

Breakfast at Restrantausaurus (Animal Kingdom)

Let the kids set the pace. - You can't take kids to WDW and then leave them standing while you dive on all the big rides.

Just a few things that came to mind. Will post more as I think of them.

Upvote 0

MouseMan

Original Poster
Thank You! Thank You! I didn't even know about Restrantausaurus in Animal Kingdom. That sounds right up their alley.:sohappy: I'll make sure to tell them to take the cues from the kids about how much they can handle.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

I know World Showcase used to have KidCot stations at the different countries to make masks, etc. I'm not sure if they still have them or not.

I think that AK also had/has something similar to this.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
I know World Showcase used to have KidCot stations at the different countries to make masks, etc. I'm not sure if they still have them or not.

I think that AK also had/has something similar to this.

We did the masks last year (November) when the girls were 7, 5, 3 and 9 months... the older girls had lots of fun, the 3 year old wasn't so into it, lol. (and obviously not the baby) But the "big girls" thought it was great. :) I'd try to fit it in if you have time. Took us 4 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAH. :lol:

Upvote 0

mccaulej

Yes...the KidCot Fun Stations are still up and running:) I'm a big kid and I enjoy standing and watching the kids do these cool masks and such. Kids seem to LOVE it!! Definitely give that a whirl.

Another fun idea for both kids and parents is Disney mini-golf, or betterknown as putt-putt:) My wife and I love going to Winter/Summerland at Blizzard Beach, but Fantasia Golf is pretty cool also.

Just some ideas for ya:sohappy:

Upvote 0

wdwhoneymooner

Hi and welcome to the Post! :wave:

As mentioned above, definately be aware of the children's needs (naps, snacks, breaks). Especially if this is their first time they will be so excited that any down time may not be on their minds. Be sure to make it a point to have them take a break, even if they may not want to. Without it, they could very easily become cranky, especially if the Parks are full and the lines long.

The Character Dining @ the Land is always fun. The kids should get a kick out of eating at a rotating restaurant. The food isn't bad either. And be sure to check out Playhouse Disney Live! @ MGM/Disney Studios. I think I enjoy this more than my son.

Upvote 0

SnowWhite5669

I know they sell a Birbaum book about WDW that is written by kids for kids. I haven't really seen what is inside but I think it would be a good book to have. Also at Barnes & Noble they have a book entitled Hidden Mickey which tells you where each and every hidden Mickey in the parks/resorts are, that might be a fun family thing to do. I know I am going to buy one for our next trip in 9 days!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

MouseMan

Original Poster
Thanx for the ideas!! :sohappy: It's amazing how much you forget when you haven't been in a while. I completely forgot about the character dining in the Land. My wife and I have always wanted to do this, but since we don't have kids we didn't want to geek out too much. Isn't that for lunch? I don't remember. I guess my friend could just ask guest relations. The book about the hidden mickeys is a great idea. Maybe I'll give them pics from the 'where was this pic taken' thread and let them find them. I'll have to give him a camera to do some mullet hunting as well. :lol:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Originally posted by SnowWhite5669
I know they sell a Birbaum book about WDW that is written by kids for kids. I haven't really seen what is inside but I think it would be a good book to have. Also at Barnes & Noble they have a book entitled Hidden Mickey which tells you where each and every hidden Mickey in the parks/resorts are, that might be a fun family thing to do. I know I am going to buy one for our next trip in 9 days!!:sohappy:

We've gotten the Birnbaum's book for kids and its very useful. Its written in plain English at their level. It lists hidden Mickeys, has games, hot tips for kids, best bets and the kids rate the rides. More suited to kids a little older (IMHO).

Upvote 0

SnowWhite5669

I just picked up the Hidden Mickeys "A Field Guide to Walt Disney World's Best Kept Secrets". I got it at Borders and it was $11.95. It is so cool, there are scavenger hunts with points, etc. I can't wait to try to find some of the Hidden Mickeys, especially if we get a rainy day, we can resort hop and find all the Mickeys. Definately go get it for the kids.!:)

Upvote 0

MouseMan

Original Poster
I suggest the afternoon Ice Cream Social at The Land restaurant. The characters are lots of fun and kids like ice cream! It's a great combo.

I have never heard of this. Does anyone have more info about this. Do you need reservations, time, etc.

Upvote 0
Kids and WDW

I have four grandsons from age 1 1/2 to 8 and I go to WDW with some or all of them at least 2-3 times a year. Many of the things listed above we do often and they usually like it - but here are a few things my grandsons really love.

EPCOT - the jumping fountains. They love to play in the water and if the temp is anywhere near warm this is by far one of their favorites. Be sure to take along swim trunks or shorts that will dry fast. Also sandles that can go in the water are great. Also, if you think of it, take along a small hand towel from the resort and then you can dry them off a little - be sure to return the towel to the resort. I know of two fountains - the first is near Fast Track and the second in in the entrance going back into the Showcase. Living Seas is a lot of fun if they enjoy watching fish. Most of the shows in Future world should be okay for ones that young, except for Body Wars - maybe not the three year olds, and if they get scared easy - not the Honey I shrunk the Audience Show. The boat ride in Mexico is great and one of our favorites and my grandsons do like the ride in Norway, even if it is kind of scarry for the little ones.

AK - they really love Dinoland - playing in the sand and digging up dinosaur bones. Also, when they just want to play, we go back to the right of the Dinosaur ride - there is a little park with dinosaur statues and the sidewalk goes around in a circle - It is a place where very few people ever seem to go and they can run around in a circle with the dinosaurs and they love it. The entrance to this park is to the left right past the Dinosaur ride - it is great place to wait while some of the adults are on the ride.
If your little ones like The Lion King then you must see the Festival of the Lion King show - I personally feel this is worth the trip to AK alone. Also don't miss the Safari and I would also recommend that you consider going out to the Conservation Center - they have an area out there where little ones can pet animals. Some of my grandsons love it there and one of them we can't even get to go near an animal - so it depends on the kids.

MK - Tomorrowland with Buzz is a must and they all love the Speedway. One of the things we do when they just are needing to burn some energy, is go out to Tom Sawyer's island - the apple pie and ice cream is wonderful and when they can walk around the island it really burns up some of their energy. We usually do this in the afternoon when the grouchy's seem to come their way.

MGM - This park is more difficult, but they really love Bear and the Big Blue House - if they like it on television. My grandsons seem to really like the parade here. It is a lot of the characters they know from the Disney TV shows and movies. The muppet show is great and they all like to play in the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground - Oh, and don't forget to go back to the area near Pizza Planet where photos are available with Buzz, Woody and the gang if they are Toy Story fans. Just ask a Cast Member, if you can't find it.

**Sorry if you have any girls - don't have any experience here - at least not as of yet, but there are princess rides and things to do almost everywhere.

Upvote 0
Kids and WDW

Oops - forgot the most fun - Ask if you can ride upfront in the Monorail. My small grandsons just love to go through the Contempory on the Monorail. All you have to do is try to be the first ones in line to ride and ask the CM if anyone is riding up front. Because you are going during Thanksgiving it might be quite busy, but I would ask anyway - what does it hurt. We almost always get to ride up front at least once during our trip.

Yes, you do have to make reservations at WDW dining just like the restaraunts for the ice cream social at the Land.

Upvote 0

Gucci65

A couple of years ago I bought a "passport" at Epcot that my daughter took all over the world showcase. She had it stamped at each county and a message was written in it to her by a cm in their own language. It was fun. We did that in addition to the mask making.

They can have lunch/dinner with Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore & Piglet in the Crystal Palace in MK. The food was really good.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom