front of the monorail

Capt. Salty

Original Poster
Does anyone know how to go about getting into the front car of the monorail, with the operator? Almost sounds like a stupid question, but I've heard many different stories about how people get to sit up front...
Thanks for any insight.

Meandude

Walk to the front and ask one of the cast members. If there is no one sitting there you will most likely be able to do it.

Nemo14

We've found that it has become increasingly harder to do this, since more people are aware of it now. I love the view from there!

Cindyrella

We got to sit in the front of the monorail 2x's last trip. It was awesome. My 5 yo son LOVED it. We got to do it as we were leaving the GF after dinner and then again when we got on at the Transportation center. Really neat to see Epcot at night. It was late and not a crowded time of year when we did it. It was so much fun! They gave my son and daughter a monorail co -pilot license - they loved it!

DisneyMusician2

Cast members are usually really good about that, especially if you have a little kid or two with you. If you don't, rent a couple for the day! And GOOD LUCK.

CleveRocks

As it was explained to me, the procedure is to ask the CM working on the platform.

Here was my experience 3 months ago:
We were the only ones in line for the monorail at Contemporary. As I had been previously instructed), I asked the CM on the platform if we could ride up front on the next train. He said we could, if it's available. After the train arrived and stopped, we saw a family exit the pilot's compartment. My excitement deflated, however, when I saw a father dart out of one of the monorail cars and run to the pilot, apparently asking if he and his family could ride up front. I couldn't hear, but the body language on both ends told me the pilot turned the man down. I then walked up to the pilot and asked if my family could ride up front. He was not a friendly guy at all. He curtly told me he's not permitted to do it unless the platform CM told us it was okay. I told him that I'd just asked that CM, a grandfatherly guy, and he'd said yes. The pilot reluctantly welcomed us aboard.

He was stone cold silent as we did the loop from Contemporary to MK, which was absolutely beautiful at night. When we got off at MK, however, he smiled and was friendly and gave the kids their co-pilots licenses and wished us a good night.

Figment82

They give away co-pilot licenses, and if you're lucky (or under 5) they'll also give you monorail pilot wing stickers. I had a great conversation with a driver about Discovery Island once, and he gave me the stickers because he thought I was fun. :)

Though you haven't lived until you've done all 12 colors in one day. Monorail-a-palooza 2006 was quite a success. :)

tigsmom

We've never had a problem getting to ride up front, as long as its not already full. POLITELY ask the CM on the platform if its possible to ride up front, be prepared to wait for the next monorail though if you really want that ride.

We have always ridden with nice CMs, a few of who gave us the history of the monorail, pointed out landmarks, etc.

Once after we asked and were given the ok (the CM radioed ahead to see if it was empty) another family (2 parents and 3 kids) rushed to the front car and jumped in. The CM made the leave, explaining the "rules" of asking first.
We got some dirty looks as we were ushered aboard, but... :shrug:

campdisney

We did this our last trip. All we did was ask the platform CM and it was no problem. We did the ride to Epcot with a driver who was very nice and informative. And what a beautiful view of Spaceship Earth!

Capt. Salty

Original Poster
Knew I could count on you guys! Thanks! We leave tomorrow afternoon. We have 2 boys, 11 y/o and 7 y/o. Driving from Westen New York.
Thanks again!!!

ELopez

We've always been told that there was a limit of 4 people, so our family of 6 (5 at the time) had to split up. But we did get the co-pilots licenses everytime.

Once, we were riding up front and made a stop at the Poly. The driver got out and left us alone in the front for several minutes. Someone braver would probably have tried to drive it (or at least tinker with the instruments). I was very tempted to use the microphone to make an announcement, but I didn't want my kids seeing me get kicked out.

tigsmom

Knew I could count on you guys! Thanks! We leave tomorrow afternoon. We have 2 boys, 11 y/o and 7 y/o. Driving from Westen New York.
Thanks again!!!

Best thing about WDW in the winter? Getting away from all the snow! :lol:

We will be making the trek next month and I can't wait! Enjoy your trip!

Capt. Salty

Original Poster
Best thing about WDW in the winter? Getting away from all the snow! :lol:

We will be making the trek next month and I can't wait! Enjoy your trip!
As convenient (ugh..spelling) as flying is, we really enjoy the drive. We finally made the decision to do AP's this year, so our adventures down will be even more fun! I agree...getting as far away from the snow as possible is a great feeling in the dead of winter!

tigsmom

As convenient (ugh..spelling) as flying is, we really enjoy the drive. We finally made the decision to do AP's this year, so our adventures down will be even more fun! I agree...getting as far away from the snow as possible is a great feeling in the dead of winter!

Same here. We have been driving down twice a year for the past few, but will fly this time because of time constraints. The kids have learned quite a bit about geography & history because of the drive and they now know all of the landmarks, like South of the Border. :lookaroun

cmatt

on a side note - mrs cmatt found that looking at the stickers at a cashier's desk longingly and announcing really loudly that its unfair that the small kids get them and not the big kids (she is a primary school teacher - so yep, big kid at heart). The cm's take great pity on the other half (me) and give them to stop (in my case) mrs cmatt embarassing me even more :p She got quite a ream of them and daubed our scrap book with them :)

Mick G.

Monorail Cab Ride

I was a driver back in the dark ages, so my info may be a bit out of date.

In my opinion, the best place for a cab ride is from TTC to Epcot. It's a long ride, and you get to make the loop around Epcot. Also, round trips are not generally allowed -- it's a transportation system, not a ride! So the odds are that the people in the cab will be getting out when the monorail stops at TTC. This just isn't usually the case at the resorts, on the lagoon beam.

And yes, the limit is 4 people, regardless of size or weight.

Mick

Capt. Salty

Original Poster
Same here. We have been driving down twice a year for the past few, but will fly this time because of time constraints. The kids have learned quite a bit about geography & history because of the drive and they now know all of the landmarks, like South of the Border. :lookaroun
It's a "funny" thing how you can get your kids to learn when they aren't aware of it! We have had similar experiences.

Figment82

on a side note - mrs cmatt found that looking at the stickers at a cashier's desk longingly and announcing really loudly that its unfair that the small kids get them and not the big kids (she is a primary school teacher - so yep, big kid at heart). The cm's take great pity on the other half (me) and give them to stop (in my case) mrs cmatt embarassing me even more :p She got quite a ream of them and daubed our scrap book with them :)

Seriously, just ask a CM if you want stickers (or anything similar). It's not like they're there *just* for the kids, but they are the primary audience. The package stickers are usually the most popular request from adults, as they see a CM sticking one on a box and want one to keep too. It's not a silly request, trust me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom