From Jacksonville to Disney...any hints?

:lol: I have never in my life driven to Disney World, so this is a first. It's me and three others, and we're all girls under 23. I would like to add that we're directionally impaired. I HATE mapquest...it never takes you exactly where you want to go, and who knows if the directions are for the fastest route. We are staying near Jacksonville on Ameila Island, and plan to go to Disney for two days.

For all you experienced drivers out there...any hints? Shortcuts? Places where we should watch carefully so we don't get lost?

Keep in mind we once made a trip from Eau Claire to the Twin Cities (this is in WI and MN) and we took the wrong exit and ended up near the Canadian border. No, I'm not kidding. Help us please? :lookaroun

villianess

My husband and I drove from KC to Orlando - and we used Microsoft's "Streets & Trips" to help us navigate. We planned out our route before we left, and made a "trip packet" with print outs of all the maps and directions so we always knew exactly where we were going. The directions are a GRAND improvement from Mapquest, and you can even break it up by where you're going to be hour by hour - including bathroom breaks and everything. You can really plan how long you're going to drive at once, which also helps with knowing where you're going to need a hotel if your drive to WDW is going to take more than a day.
Hope you have a GREAT TIME, and a safe trip down! :)

Upvote 0

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I second napnets suggestion, I-95 Southbound to I-4 Westbound. In good traffic, it should be about 2 hours

Upvote 0

tigsmom

mkt said:
I second napnets suggestion, I-95 Southbound to I-4 Westbound. In good traffic, it should be about 2 hours

This is the way we go (and we drive to Florida twice a year). Rob, we've never made it in 2 hours though, more like 4, but then again we are always travelling at busy times (and we don't fly. :animwink: )

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Being a Jacksonville native and making that drive about once a month here are your 2 best routes. The direction you will go will all depend on what time you will get to I-4. Take I-95 South to I-4 to 1 of the exits on I-4 that will take you to Disney (Just Follow the signs). If you are going to hit I-4 on a weekday between 6:30AM-9:00 AM or 3:00 PM-6:00 PM go past the I-4 exit to 407 to the Bee Line Expressway to I-4 (w). When you get on I-4 your first exit on your right will be the first of I believe 3 exits that will take you to WDW. The Bee Line route is about 40 miles longer than the I-4 route, however I-4 can very rapidly turn into a parking lot around rush hour and is not that uncommon to spend 3 hours on I-4 alone if there is an accident. On the bee line you will be getting passed if you are only doing 80 mph. Bee Line is also a toll road so you will need to bring a few buck in quarters if you take that route.From your present location, Amelia Island, you drive time will be approximately 3 hours either way.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you need to know anymore.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
tigsmom said:
This is the way we go (and we drive to Florida twice a year). Rob, we've never made it in 2 hours though, more like 4, but then again we are always travelling at busy times (and we don't fly. :animwink: )
Just to let you know, when Rob gets behind the wheel of a car he imagines that he is Mario Andreti and its the last lap on the Indy 500 and he is in second place.:lol:

"War just close your eyes and think about Christmas when you dive with Rob"

Upvote 0

JMishy

When I lived in Jax, I used to drive it alone (and I hate highway driving). I did the I-95S to 1-4W and found WDW with no trouble. It usually took me 2 1/2 hours (with no traffic).

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Master Yoda said:
Just to let you know, when Rob gets behind the wheel of a car he imagines that he is Mario Andreti and its the last lap on the Indy 500 and he is in second place.:lol:

"War just close your eyes and think about Christmas when you dive with Rob"

I've heard about his driving skills. :eek:

:lol:

Upvote 0

starflyer59

I live in Middleburg FL. it is about 30 miles SW of jacksonville. We are closer to St Augustine than we are to Jacksonville.

It takes us anywhere from 2-5 hours to get to Disney depending on what time you arrive in orlando and what day of the week it is.

Monday-Friday after 10:00am and before 4:00pm you should get through Orlando with not much traffic at all.

Before 10:00am and after 4:00pm on the weekdays, forget it. You are going to be stuck in major traffic jams.

On the weekends we can make it to Disney in about 2-2.5 hours.

Like everyone else said it is easy to get there.

I95 south to I4 West

Upvote 0

banimall

There's a shortcut to eliminate Daytona traffic (just a little, it only saves about 10 minutes), If you take 95 South and get off at the Holly Hill exit, make a right at the exit and follow that to I-4, like I mentioned it only saves a few minutes, but if it's Bike Week, the 500 or Biketoberfest it could save a little more. I've only used this once so if I'm wrong with the directions, someone please correct.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom