Free Disney Trip scam

isitingood

Original Poster
Does anyone remember about 6 or 7 years ago when an email started that Disney and Microsoft were working together and if you emailed to a bunch of people that Microsoft would track the emails and you could win a free trip to either DL or WDW? That is a scam because there is no system on the internet to track forwarded emails in order to compensate those who forward them.

Well the the email is back this time in the form of a virus. My best friend works for Microsoft and he told me about it yesterday. The email will read Free Disney trip or something like that, there will be an attachment this time do not open the attachment or it will wreck havoc on your hard disk. This email will almost always come from someone you know(without that persons knowledge)so attachments are not safe just because you know the sender.

Just want to warn people because I know when you see free Disney anything you get curious and will click on it.

napnet

FYI, things like that will never work... the only way they could potentially track e-mails is if you had viewing images/html enabled (bad, bad thing to do).

cmatt

eurgh, i cant believe how low some people can be! im a geek (and i work as a geek too!) and i dont find having that kind of power over someone does anything for me.

I dunno - i must be the kinda guy that prefers to HELP people, no offence to people but there is still alot of ignorance on the internet when it comes to things like this. Hopefully the various email scanners that are in place with email providers are hotting up on this particular email. Especially when its at the time of year we are suddenly having to be skint in time for xmas, so the hope of getting a free holiday seems more tantilising!

Cheers for the heads up!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Um...I'm pretty sure it's impossible to trace who is sending email to who......seeing as that's an invasion of privacy (outside of patriot act laws that can be used for those being investigated), and would be largely illegal.

So for those of you who think the trip is real. - it isn't.

MrVisitor

Scum!

Who gets their jollies out of sending these scams around...?
There must be someone making money from it...

I remember those ones that say there are missing children, films about gay Jesuses, dying grandmothers and stuff like that.
No viruses, just lists of people's names... What's the point?

I bet some psychology or sociology student somewhere is sat with a pen a paper taking long notes.

Kacki

Scum!

Who gets their jollies out of sending these scams around...?
There must be someone making money from it...

I remember those ones that say there are missing children, films about gay Jesuses, dying grandmothers and stuff like that.
No viruses, just lists of people's names... What's the point?

I bet some psychology or sociology student somewhere is sat with a pen a paper taking long notes.

I think that a team of psychology students form some Ivy League school should give all of the Disneyphiles here on this forum all-expense paid trips to WDW, just so they could "study" us. We would obviously be compensated for time. :lol:

scpergj

as the great Leo Leporte says;
" DO NOT DOWNLOAD ATTACHMENTS!"

I've tried to pound that into the heads of my users, but some of them don't quite get it...

Just checked my servers, and made sure everything is up to date (it was). I should be ok...but all it takes is one bonehead....

Kevin

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom