FP+ - Not for me

Saim

Original Poster
This is my first post here, and I'm sorry but its going to be a moan.

We recently went on a trip to WDW in March, I knew about the FP+ system, but didn't give it too much thought, as we have been many times to WDW and figured if we didn't get onto certain rides then it would be a problem.

So that's what we did, we still got onto all the rides we wanted except Test Track and Soaring. So towards the end of the holiday I figured I'd buy into the new system (cause it isn't going to go away). At the time I had a £300 Windows Phone and a £200 Android Tablet. The app isn't available for Windows phones and the app isn't compatible with my android tablet, so this got me annoyed, but I figured I'd get in a queue on use one of the kiosks.

So we get to Epcot, at around 10ish, get in line to use a FP+ kiosk, and after about 30-40 minutes of queueing we get to the front of the line (and see that the "Kiosk" is a staff member with an ipad), only to be told that the earliest FP+ slot for test track was 6:15, which didn't work for us, so we passed.

The fact that I didn't get onto the ride isn't the issue for me, what bothered me was that I queued for a good 30-40 minutes for no reason.

After this everything started to annoy me about the new system.

On the old paper FP system all you had to do is look up at the return time and make a decision if you wanted one or not, no queuing required.

One of my biggest annoyances about the new system was seeing groups of people walking around with their head in their phones, not looking where they're going, or simply standing in the middle of a walkway with their head in their phones making it difficult for people to go around them.

I actually went into guest relations and made a complaint, this was the first complaint I've made in over 22 years of going to the Disney parks. Upon voicing my opinion (in a calm manner, I'm not one to blow my top) to a staff member, but got the feeling that they just weren't interested.

So I went home from my March holiday pretty annoyed with the FP+ system.

I am going back to WDW this May (in a couple of weeks time). So I've put any prejudice I might have about the FP+ system to one side, I've gone out and spent a further £200 on an ipod touch so I finally use the app.

Upon linking our tickets to the app (3 annual passes + 2 14 day passes), 2 of the three annual passes linked up fine, however the third one gave me the error "already in use on another account", I know it isn't. One of the two unused 14 day passes gave me the same error and I was listed in the account twice (one with a green mouse logo, one grey).

So I go onto what I thought was the UK disney website (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/en_GB/) and call the 0800 number at the bottom of the page. Then I find out that the opening times are east coat times (GMT-4). So I wait a few hours and call the number again.

I get through to tech help, explain my problem, am on hold for approx 40 mins, get taken off of hold and get told we'll send you an email when we have fixed the problem, fair enough.

A further 2 hours pass then I get an email telling me that my problem has been resolved, but I'll have to go to guest relations to get a new ticket for the annual pass, log into my account and my double entry has been removed, but the green record has been removed and the grey one kept in (I'm assuming green means active and grey inactive), so I'm pretty sure I'll have to get my ticket re-issued aswell. Which while this isn't a problem, it's annoying, as I have to go out of my way to fix two cards that worked perfectly fine a few of weeks ago (in March).

I'm also not sure if this means I can use the FP+ service now or not?

So without even being at WDW yet, I'm already pretty annoyed.

We are all adults in the group. What our holiday has been like for the last 22 years is, we wake up in the morning and decide between the 5 of us what we want to do (go to a park or go shopping usually). From what I can gather this is now out of the question with WDW if you're wanting to get a FP for any ride.

At the moment my impression is that Disney don't want spontaneous groups or families like me, they'd rather have people that plan 90 days in advanced so that can work out how much money they're likely to make each month.

I'm feeling pretty down about all this, as I have been going to WDW for over 22 years and am currently feeling shut out by WDW.

I'm completely open to suggestions on what the best way to use the FP+ system is when you have no clue what park you're going to go to 30 days in advance.

Sorry for the long rant, but I just felt the need to get my thoughts out there.

DisneyGirl3820

I'm sorry you had such an awful experience with Fastpass+. I think they definitely need to work the kinks out and guests shouldn't have to wait 30-40 in a line only to be told there is availability for a ride 8 hours later! Here's hoping you have a better time in May and that you get to enjoy your vacation!

JoeT63

I hope this doesn't sound snarky, it isn't intended to be. But if you saw a long queue at the Kiosk, why didn't you just wait in line for an attraction? You're only allowed to FP+ for one of Test Track or Soarin' anyway, so perhaps you could have spent that time in a standby line (or maybe single-rider on TT).

I'm only bringing this up for broader context. It seems like the seasoned veterans are wholly relying on Fastpass...or they choose not to ride. I've posted similarly before, but I still see FP as a luxury and not the end-all of riding. Standby is still the norm, and that's why so many of the queues are themed and some now are interactive. Frankly, I wish Fastpass would go away altogether (as I have, again, previously stated). Wanna control crowds and level the playing field? That'd be a good start.

Saim

Original Poster
That's why I only queued the once for a FP+, I saw a long queue and there was quite a few cast members sorting out the FP+'s so i figured it wouldn't take too long - I was wrong. I learnt from this mistake and didnt use the fp+ kiosks again.

I also would love to see Disney rip fastpass altogether, but with Disney having spent billions on this system I cant see it happening. Which is why I'm trying to buy into the idea.

The way I've always used fastpass in the past was to get to the park, look at the return time of a certain ride and get a fast pass if it suited, if not I simply got into the queue (queue time permitting).

I just feel that with the new system I am unable to do this (as well as getting nothing but grief from the app).

I'd like nothing more then someone to tell me how stupid I am how good the new FP+ system is (for people like me who don't plan months in advanced).

But it just isn't aimed at people like me (and other seasoned guests for that matter).

My idea of a holiday is to go and relax and take things as they come, not to sit down for hours planning every detail prior to leaving my house.

rob0519

That's why I only queued the once for a FP+, I saw a long queue and there was quite a few cast members sorting out the FP+'s so i figured it wouldn't take too long - I was wrong. I learnt from this mistake and didnt use the fp+ kiosks again.

My idea of a holiday is to go and relax and take things as they come, not to sit down for hours planning every detail prior to leaving my house.

I agree. All that planning 60 days in advance hardly makes for a relaxing vacation. Our family has five adults and over the past almost 20 years and 20+ visits we would decide which park to visit with the night before or in the morning depending on how we felt, the weather, etc. Since we have not had to experience the system yet, I've refrained from bashing it too badly other than to say it will drastically change the way we approach the entire resort and I'm more than skeptical we will find the results to our liking.

Rob562

A further 2 hours pass then I get an email telling me that my problem has been resolved, but I'll have to go to guest relations to get a new ticket for the annual pass, log into my account and my double entry has been removed, but the green record has been removed and the grey one kept in (I'm assuming green means active and grey inactive), so I'm pretty sure I'll have to get my ticket re-issued aswell. Which while this isn't a problem, it's annoying, as I have to go out of my way to fix two cards that worked perfectly fine a few of weeks ago (in March).

I'm also not sure if this means I can use the FP+ service now or not?

Where are you looking? Are you in "Tickets and Passes" or "Cards and Bands"?

If you're in Tickets and Passes, I'm not sure what's going on.

But if you're in Cards and Bands (which I presume is where you're looking, based on what you've posted), it just means that the physical card you have is no longer valid and you need a new card issued. There's nothing actually saved on the card. It's just a pointer to your MDE profile. Your AP is actually saved on your profile. So while the pass itself hasn't been invalidated, the way that you access it at the front gates and the FP+ posts has been. You just need a new card to do so.

Since you have an Annual Pass and are wondering if you have access to FP+ you can check that right now. Log onto the website (or in the app) and try making FP+ choices for a few days from now. You should have access to making them for dates within the next 30 days.

Also, you don't *need* the app on the phone. You can just as easily set up your FP+ choices online before you leave home and use them in the park. You'd then only need an in-park kiosk or the phone app to make changes to your FP+ reservations.

Lastly, you can use the Windows phone to access the mobile version of the WDW/MDE site which gives you access to most of the functions that the phone app does (some say that the mobile site is faster and easier to use than the app).

-Rob

Saim

Original Poster
Where are you looking? Are you in "Tickets and Passes" or "Cards and Bands"?

If you're in Tickets and Passes, I'm not sure what's going on.

But if you're in Cards and Bands (which I presume is where you're looking, based on what you've posted), it just means that the physical card you have is no longer valid and you need a new card issued. There's nothing actually saved on the card. It's just a pointer to your MDE profile. Your AP is actually saved on your profile. So while the pass itself hasn't been invalidated, the way that you access it at the front gates and the FP+ posts has been. You just need a new card to do so.

I'll have a go at booking some fast passes then, though I'm still not fully convinced they'll work when 2 AP's need reissuing.

Am I right to be annoyed that prior to my phone call I had 3 working passes, now after my phone call I have 1 working pass?

Bring back the paper passes please ;)

EDIT
just like to add that on my trip in March i did try top use my phone to book FP's, but it wouldn't let me go any further then the "how to use FP+" screen, no matter what I clicked on it kept taking me to this page.

Rob562

I'll have a go at booking some fast passes then, though I'm still not fully convinced they'll work when 2 AP's need reissuing.

Am I right to be annoyed that prior to my phone call I had 3 working passes, now after my phone call I have 1 working pass?

Bring back the paper passes please ;)

Like I said, it'll depend on whether you can make FP+ now or not. If you can, then you have fully linked and valid AP's. All you need is a replacement way to access them. It's no different than one of the old tickets getting their strip demagnetized or washed in the laundry and having to get it re-issued.

If you don't have access to FP+ now and thus have an issue with the AP's themselves, then yes, it's rather annoying.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom