FoP Help/Advice!

_mickey_

Original Poster
I've been reading through the various FoP threads and have been seeing some varying experiences/wait times.

My 30 day window opened today, and while I was able to snag a FP for NRJ, none for FoP were available (as I expected).

So here's my dilemma, do I rope drop FoP or do I try and get same day FP (when/if they drop around 11am that day)? Typically, I'd chose rope drop, but I'm seeing people report wait times of 3 hours. I'm not against waiting in line, but I don't think all the members in my party (3 of us) would be able/willing to wait in line that long.

I'm afraid if I forgo the rope drop for FoP, and try for same day FP, that I will miss out on the shortest standby time.

I'm willing to get to Animal Kingdom very early, but it seems like even then people are experiencing very long standby waits. The day I will be going should hopefully be a lighter crowd day (12/7) and will not me a EMH day. That should help the wait times, yes?

What are people experiencing with Avatar rope drops. Is that really my best bet?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!!

Clamman73

Two times I rope dropped FOP, I was at security about 7:30-7:45 for a 9:00 opening...probably the first 50 people at the Park. I was usually close to turnstiles for opening and then for rope drop into Pandora.
IMG_1442.jpg

Andy_0410

Got to the park for 830. (Mid October think 9)
Was shocked at how busy it already was.
We were let straight into the park and was queuing to get into pandora.
Don't know how long the queue would of been as had a fast pass for FOP at 9-10am we got there that early to ride NRJ which was virtually a walk on. Came out of that and queue was 3 hours already and that was at about 9am.
They did seem to open that part of the park earlier than 9am. This might of only been due to the amount of people already there and building behind us
But basically get there mega early so you are at least at the start of the queue

Cutigerlady

If you are getting to the park via disney bus, make sure you are on the very first AK bus! We were outside just after 7:00 and the bus didn’t arrive until 8:00! By then, the line was very long 150 minutes for EMH day. We waited because it was our only day for AK. In line I was easily able to snag FP for NRJ, EE and the safari. I would only ride NRJ with a FP, not worth the wait in Stand by line!

_mickey_

Original Poster
Two times I rope dropped FOP, I was at security about 7:30-7:45 for a 9:00 opening...probably the first 50 people at the Park. I was usually close to turnstiles for opening and then for rope drop into Pandora.
View attachment 242433

Can I ask how long your wait times were? Also, did they lead you to the avatar entrance (Pizzafari area) before 9am? I'd feel better if they held the crowd there for a bit, as it wouldn't be a single "race" to get all the way from the front to FoP.

_mickey_

Original Poster
Got to the park for 830. (Mid October think 9)
Was shocked at how busy it already was.
We were let straight into the park and was queuing to get into pandora.
Don't know how long the queue would of been as had a fast pass for FOP at 9-10am we got there that early to ride NRJ which was virtually a walk on. Came out of that and queue was 3 hours already and that was at about 9am.
They did seem to open that part of the park earlier than 9am. This might of only been due to the amount of people already there and building behind us
But basically get there mega early so you are at least at the start of the queue

So did they let people in before 9, or was it a EMH day?

_mickey_

Original Poster
If you are getting to the park via disney bus, make sure you are on the very first AK bus! We were outside just after 7:00 and the bus didn’t arrive until 8:00! By then, the line was very long 150 minutes for EMH day. We waited because it was our only day for AK. In line I was easily able to snag FP for NRJ, EE and the safari. I would only ride NRJ with a FP, not worth the wait in Stand by line!

We have a rental car, so no worries there. I'm avoiding EMH days, so hopefully that will help!

twebber55

I've been reading through the various FoP threads and have been seeing some varying experiences/wait times.

My 30 day window opened today, and while I was able to snag a FP for NRJ, none for FoP were available (as I expected).

So here's my dilemma, do I rope drop FoP or do I try and get same day FP (when/if they drop around 11am that day)? Typically, I'd chose rope drop, but I'm seeing people report wait times of 3 hours. I'm not against waiting in line, but I don't think all the members in my party (3 of us) would be able/willing to wait in line that long.

I'm afraid if I forgo the rope drop for FoP, and try for same day FP, that I will miss out on the shortest standby time.

I'm willing to get to Animal Kingdom very early, but it seems like even then people are experiencing very long standby waits. The day I will be going should hopefully be a lighter crowd day (12/7) and will not me a EMH day. That should help the wait times, yes?

What are people experiencing with Avatar rope drops. Is that really my best bet?

Any advice/info would be greatly appreciated!!
rope drop
get there 45 minutes before RD FOP and you ll have the rest of the park to yourself for a good hour or so

sedati

On 9/22 we had a successfull rope drop experience, but we got there at 7:30. Only two dozen or so in front of us. But behind us it filled up fast- really fast. They moved us to the bridge around 8:30 and let us in Pandora at 8:45. Walked onto Flight Of Passage and were off by 9:00. By then we saw what was behind us and it was a three hour line. Made our way to Navi River Journey and had almost no wait. Then we got out as it was too congested to really try and take in the land itself, and besides, the rest of the park had no crowds. So either really commit to getting there well before opening, or don't bother with Pandora in the morning. Wait times start to dip around 3:00, and between 6:00-7:00 it can get down to a very manageable hour and a half (which is when I made my second attempt- which I'll note was a far better experience. While rope-drop was it's own kind of fun, and you certainly want to be sure you get at least one ride, you don't really get the whole experience if your just rushing past it all.)

Clamman73

Can I ask how long your wait times were? Also, did they lead you to the avatar entrance (Pizzafari area) before 9am? I'd feel better if they held the crowd there for a bit, as it wouldn't be a single "race" to get all the way from the front to FoP.
Two different procedures happened for the two different days I rope dropped AK.

On this past Wednesday: They started letting people through turnstiles before 9:00 (maybe it was around 8:35). People were on their own to run/walk all the way to the Pandora bridge where we were held until about 8:50ish. (My times might be a bit off) From the Pandora bridge they will walk with you to either FOP or River Journey...it all starts to funnel down to a few people wide into the queue line area. I was about the 20th person into the ride and was off a little after 9:00 where I then walked on to river journey and then I had a Fastpass for FOP at 9:25

For this past Sunday: open turnstiles early but then they was another rope at the beginning of where you can go either left or right in the Oasis.. I was on the left where the entrance to Rainforest cafe is...Then still before 9:00 they walked with people (both of the left and right Oasis sides met at the bridge to Discovery Island) up to the Pandora bridge area where we all hung out until just before 9:00 when they did the same walk with people and start to funnel into the queue. I was probably about 40th person in and was out later after 9:00 and didn't bother with River Journey since it was a little nuts on Sunday. Then I used a Fastpass I had for FOP at 9:10.

If you're the first 100 people you're on and off fairly quickly. When you walk in you skip that lab part of the queue so they can start getting people on the ride quickly...there are two different parts where you are in a group of 16 before you get on the banshee vehicle thing.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I was at AK on Monday. I had a FP for FoP at 12:05 pm. Standby time was 115 minutes. I've noticed that lines waiting to get into Pandora are longer in the AM than afternoon, as everyone is trying to get there first thing. I would also suggest picking a day other than Friday or the weekend.

Not sure that you can pick up same day FP for the ride. We tried that for a member of our party and weren't successful.

raymusiccity

I was at AK on Monday. I had a FP for FoP at 12:05 pm. Standby time was 115 minutes. I've noticed that lines waiting to get into Pandora are longer in the AM than afternoon, as everyone is trying to get there first thing. I would also suggest picking a day other than Friday or the weekend.

Not sure that you can pick up same day FP for the ride. We tried that for a member of our party and weren't successful.

It's a tough FastPass to snag. I called first thing in the morning and was able to get FastPass for a party of 12, exactly 60 days out. When we tried to add one more to our party, just 1 hour later, they were all gone!

Texas84

I couldn't even get a 60-day FP for January.

Rope drop goes very fast. We got there about 0800 for a 0900 non-EMH opening. The only bad thing is that you bypass a lot of the queue and I really wanted my friend to see it. But by the time we got out the wait was already 150.

_mickey_

Original Poster
I couldn't even get a 60-day FP for January.

Rope drop goes very fast. We got there about 0800 for a 0900 non-EMH opening. The only bad thing is that you bypass a lot of the queue and I really wanted my friend to see it. But by the time we got out the wait was already 150.

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping that I'll be far enough forward in the rope drop crowd that I get on without having to wait 90+ minutes, but also hope I far back enough that I can enjoy at least some of the queue!

DisneyCane

Go on a non-emh day, and get to the park at least an hour before opening, if possible an hour and a half, and you will make it on right away.

Of course although you aren't in the ride queue very long, you are "waiting" over an hour and a half. That is less than standby tends to be but it isn't like rope dropping a typical ride where you arrive just before opening and wait a few minutes.

gorillaball

Of course although you aren't in the ride queue very long, you are "waiting" over an hour and a half. That is less than standby tends to be but it isn't like rope dropping a typical ride where you arrive just before opening and wait a few minutes.

Still looking for a guesstimate of how far back to go through regular queue. I.E.: perfect world not get back so far it's a 2 hr wait but also don't want so far forward in rope drop that you get funneled through fast pass and miss regular queue. I know it's a guess and varies but any input appreciated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom