Foods

FutureCEO

Original Poster
HAHA. I know this sounds strange but Im doing a project and I was wondering what food is unqiuely American or to your state? Places too? And other people can do the same for their country.

EmeraldDolphin

I think being in New England, and on the shoreline... we are all probably pretty big seafood eaters. Lobster is one of my favorites! For all American... I've gotta have a hot-dog & a beer when I go to a YANKEE game!!!!!

Yellow Shoes

One of the most quintessential American foods must be peanut butter.

I heard an interview with Alistair Cooke a few years ago in which he said that he never could understand Americans and peanut butter. Apparently he couldn't stand the stuff.

(Alilstair Cooke came to the US after WWII as a BBC reporter. He filed a weekly "Letter from America" for the BBC until he died a year or two ago. He also was a host of "Masterpiece Theater" on PBS)

I think that boiled peanuts are a southeastern thing. Here in the midwest they just aren't found.

Catfish seems to be a regional thing also. People who live near salt water tend not to eat fresh water fish.

nikimsu2002

In Michigan, I would have to say that the foods unique to our state are Pasties, Mackinac Island Fudge and Vernor's. We also are the home of Stroh's ice cream.

tigsmom

nikimsu2002 said:
In Michigan, I would have to say that the foods unique to our state are Pasties, Mackinac Island Fudge and Vernor's. We also are the home of Stroh's ice cream.

What about the Coney? Here in NY they call the "Michigans"... yummy hot dogs with chili, mustard and diced onions. :slurp:

NY is very ethnic in its food tastes, you can find just about anything here.

WDWScottieBoy

Well here in the Chicago area, we have Chicago style pizza and Chicago style hot dogs. I don't know if they are truly American, but they are in the sense that we have our own style of those two here.

tigsmom

WDWScottieBoy said:
Well here in the Chicago area, we have Chicago style pizza and Chicago style hot dogs. I don't know if they are truly American, but they are in the sense that we have our own style of those two here.

Thats true ... we have NY Style pizza here and NYers take their hot dogs with ketchup ( :hurl: ) & NY style cheesecake.

TheDisneyGirl02

I live in PA where we have PA Dutch food. One of my favorites is lettuce with bacon dressing over the top. It's the best if the bacon dressing is hot! Only get it on holidays though...but it's good!

TheDisneyGirl02

Number_6

Yellow Shoes said:
(Alilstair Cooke came to the US after WWII as a BBC reporter. He filed a weekly "Letter from America" for the BBC until he died a year or two ago. He also was a host of "Masterpiece Theater" on PBS)

He passed just this year, March if I remember correctly. I was interning at a newsradio station and I remember the report from CBS News being broadcast while I was there. It was only a couple of weeks after his last "Letter from America" broadcast. A great man.

As far as this food thing goes, I'm also from New England, Massachusetts to be exact. We have our New England style Clam Chowder, NE style Corn Chowder and Boston Baked Beans.

crazygirley

Hmm... from the Detroit area... we eat Better Maid potato chips, Faygo pop... Vernors was already said, as were pasties. I can't think of anything else.

disneymoc

EmeraldDolphin said:
How about Grits? Do they really exist? What is a "grit" anyhow?
Grits really do exist and in fact are a popular delicacy with shrimp and cheese. I hate grits though.

A grit is a very fine piece of corn meal.

Not For Sale

Hamburgers were invented in the good ole' USA, yet the exact restaurant is questionable. Potato chips were invented here too, I believe. The "Rueben" and "French Dip" sammiches were, you guessed it, invented in the USA.

And I thought I was wasting time watching the show "Unwrapped" on the Food Network.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom