Flying With An 18 Month-Old

Peacefrog

Has anyone ever flown with an 18-ish month-old? When flying with infant in lap, is there any way the infant is restrained or do you just hold on? Also, do I need to to notify the airline when traveling with an infant? I did not purchase a ticket for him, just planned on doing the lap thing. Any other tips or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

I believe, but can't confirm, that any child under 2 does not require a ticket (and therefore also does not get their own seat). From what I've seen on flights, you do just hold the baby in your lap...there are no separate restraints for baby, you have a seatbelt on and the baby doesn't. The point of the seatbelts is to keep you more secure during turbulence, and since you're obviously going to have a tight grip on the baby if the ride gets rough, I guess they figure the lap ride is safe. I would check with the airline ahead of time just to be on the safe side. You can get a ticketed seat and use your car seat on the plane if you'd like, but I've seen many parents do the lap thing.

Hope this helps...have a great trip!

Upvote 0

scorp111

The OP is correct, no seat is required for a lap-infant under 2. You should call the reservation number for the airline and just let them know, especially if you have reserved seats on the plane. There are restrictions on the number of lap infants per row (due to oxygen masks) and certains rows do not allow lap infants.

Both of my children flew before they were 3 months old. The younger they are the easier is what we have determined.....

Upvote 0

_tinkerbell_

Peacefrog said:
Has anyone ever flown with an 18-ish month-old? When flying with infant in lap, is there any way the infant is restrained or do you just hold on? Also, do I need to to notify the airline when traveling with an infant? I did not purchase a ticket for him, just planned on doing the lap thing. Any other tips or experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

well when my DD was 1 they did provide seatbelts for the child (it attatches on to your seat belt but they still sit on your lap . but im not sure if that happens on all flights you should probably let them know just incase

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

whatnext said:

Oh cool! I'd never seen one of those before. I'd say that's definitely worth the $30 investment!

And my advice (of course, talk to your pediatrician first :lookaroun ) is benadryl. :lol: Let 'em sleep the trip away. Makes it more pleasant for them, you, and all the other passengers. (Just not too much... or you'll have a lunatic child strapped to your lap :lol: )

Happy traveling! :wave:

Upvote 0

thrupaytonseyes

whatnext said:

Just be forewarned that not all airlines will let you use that at all. You might want to check with the airline you are using before shelling out the money.

We travelled a few times by air with our son with him as a lap child. You definately HAVE to call the airline and let them know that you plan on having a lap child or it won't be any fun when you get to the airport and they either refuse you boarding or make you buy a ticket. The child does not have a restraint(at least not on Continental or Southwest). You just hold on to the little one.

My advice: Invest in a portable DVD player if you don't already have one or if you have a laptop with a DVD player in it. Make sure it is one that has a battery not just a car charger. It has been a godsend on many trips. In the airport, on the plane after we board, and once you can use electronic devices on the plane after take off. We use the laptop and play games with our son while at the airport in between watching all the planes take off and land, then we do the whole preboard thing(Especially with southwest) watch a video, turn it off when necessary, and as soon as possible it goes back on.

Also, watch with the Benadryl, it makes some kids hyper!

Have fun!

Upvote 0

BeanSz

I agree, before giving Benadryl know how your child reacts. Mine gets very hyper and crazy. If the flight is not full, you may be able to get free seat which is nice. You will need to let the airline know upon check in that you are traveling with an unticketed infant. If you are traveling with another adult, have them board first with the bags and such and get settled in. I recommend that you wait until the last possible moment to board with your child so they do not get too anxious sitting there. I also recommend packing a bag with small bags of snacks, quiet toys, books and other distractions. We found key to keep our child distracted. Enjoy your trip, we took our son at 18 months and was one of our best trips to Disney ever!!

Upvote 0

simonem

can be fine

Hi,
DH and I flew with our 18 month old and 4 1/2 year old on Song last November. We paid for 3 seats and were very anxious about the arrangements.
Long story: diagnosed with 4 infected ears on Friday! We got bumped from our 7am flight and had to plead to get on the next non-stop which was also overbooked. They gave us $30 for breakfast and 3 $250 vouchers.
On the upside, by the time we got on the next flight it was naptime and she slept on my shoulder from the time we leveled off until the descent.

So, with our vouchers I bought 4 seats to fly this Nov (she will need a seat now that she's 2.) and booked it for naptime. Hopefully we'll have the same luck.

On the way home, it was evening so we ate in the airport (yuck) and snacked and threw Color Wonder markers in the aisle and make pests of ourselves, waited forever for our luggage which being full of dirty laundry was heavier than ever.

But got in the car and fell asleep for the ride home from the airport. Always an upside -- this too shall pass.

Upvote 0

lcsrig

Forget the medications. Make sure your child has something to drink for taking off and landing. It helps their ears to adjust with the altitude!
Take care and good luck!

Upvote 0

coltow

Airlines prefer you get them a seat. It's safer for the child. They will give you a discounted rate, but you have to ask for it. Unless your child is able to sit still for the length of time your flight is, I would get them a seat. My DS cannot sit still for 3 minutes nevermind 3 hours. At 16 months we took a short vacation to the Bahamas and he sat in my lap...never again. At 22 months we got him a seat and brought his car seat to keep him in place and safe. It gave him his own space.

Also make sure that you bring a copy of a birth certificate. If your child does not have a seat the airline may question the age of the child. Just to be on the safe side I took one and never needed it.

Upvote 0

DSNYKID

A few more tips: Bring the birth certificate, I've had to show it before. Pack favorite snacks and drinks. Pack new toys and books. Don't let them see them until you are on the flight. We also give Dimetapp (decongestant) it can help with the pressure in the ears on the flight. Also give tylenol, just to take the edge off. Both were recommended by our doctor. Last tip: Ignore any dirty looks for passengers without children! Have a safe trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

maharet97a

We've flown with our two children since they were less than six months old. If you can afford to buy a seat, I highly recommend doing so. It's less stress on them and you at a highly stressful time. We have gotten lucky a few times and had empty seats on our flight and without buying tickets have been allowed by the flight crew to use those for our girls. This is no guarantee though. Most airlines let you choose your seat, so you can see what the crowd is looking like and take your car seat just in case. They can always check it plane side if there's no space. The same goes for your stroller. Take it with you to the gate and have them check it there. It's a lot easier to push than carry a child and those concourses can be a very long walk for little legs. Like others have said, a lot of times if you buy a seat for a child under 2, the airline will discount the seat ( I believe Delta's was half price last time we flew with them). I'd also take into account not only flight time with an infant, but in the South in summer (if travelling then), late afternoon thunder showers can pop up and cause flight delays. We ended up in Dallas, on the runway for almost two hours one afternoon with an extremely cranky one year old in my lap.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Sorry if I'm late to the party...We took our youngest to WDW when she was around 18 months old. If you can get an seat on the plane for a car seat take it. Have you any idea how long a plane ride becomes when you are holding a squirming 18 month old in your lap? Not to mention the complaints you may get when they annoy the seat mate. (not saying your child will, but I've seen it happen more times than not). You will need the car seat in Florida anyway as its the law.

As for the sedation for the flight...our pediatrician (a mom of 4 herself and now the County Health Commish) told me to use a dose of tylenol and a dose of Pediacare; she used it with all of her own kids. Of course thats up to you.

What ever you decide, have a great trip and take a ton of pictures. :wave:

Upvote 0

JimboJones123

Be sure to try and get there early, and you can request to be put by an empty seat. Of the 15 trips we took with the kids as infants, only 4 times did they have to sit in our laps. We brought the car seat on the plane a few times. Others just let them lay in the chair.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom