Flight times

allidog1

Planning a trip in September and need to book flights. My options are limited for direct flights to MCO. There are only two available my arrival day with one landing at 10 am and one at 7pm. The earlier flight would cost ~$50 more so I was wondering what do you think I should do? I don’t plan on going to parks that day so it would be a hotel/Disney Springs day if anything.

dave&di

Personally I’d get the earlier flight but then I’d be off to the parks ASAP! If the extra time isn‘t a benefit to you then save $50 and arrive later. Enjoy your trip 😁

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I'm always wanting to get to Disney and my resort as early as possible. For me even if I wouldnt be in the park that day, its still worth the $50 to be there earlier and starting my trip off. Getting that Disney atmosphere surrounding me is priceless. Walking around the resort, being bussed to DS and strolling the property, breathing in Disney air, would do wonders for me.

Upvote 0

crawale

Planning a trip in September and need to book flights. My options are limited for direct flights to MCO. There are only two available my arrival day with one landing at 10 am and one at 7pm. The earlier flight would cost ~$50 more so I was wondering what do you think I should do? I don’t plan on going to parks that day so it would be a hotel/Disney Springs day if anything.
By the time you get out of the airport and to the hotel - assuming Magical Express and no luggage pick up - you might need to add a couple of hours to that time and by the time you got there everything would be closed. Sometimes there are different flights on weekends to week days so that could be an option.

Upvote 0

Tom 55

What is your Disney parks ticket situation. The reason to come in at 10am is to get more time at parks. So you would have to pay for another day. If you come in at 7pm there is very little reason to go to park that day. So you do not have to pay for that day.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

I voted for 10am, but if that cost was per person and you had 6 people I might opt for the cheaper flights. If you can afford the $50, it’s much nicer to have a half day than just arrive for the evening.

Plus, even if you aren't going to the parks, it's so nice to have a relaxing day at Disney Springs or by the pool or a leisurely dinner. Even with a flight delay, you can still enjoy these things. A flight delay plus picking your bags up, just makes the 7 pm option a no-fun day of travel. We went to Disney once on a cheap flight leaving at 7 and we were so bored waiting around the house all day. Now, we are morning flights all the way!

Upvote 0

allidog1

Original Poster
Plus, even if you aren't going to the parks, it's so nice to have a relaxing day at Disney Springs or by the pool or a leisurely dinner. Even with a flight delay, you can still enjoy these things. A flight delay plus picking your bags up, just makes the 7 pm option a no-fun day of travel. We went to Disney once on a cheap flight leaving at 7 and we were so bored waiting around the house all day. Now, we are morning flights all the way!
That is a very good point.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

The earlier your flight, the less chance it will be delayed.

Also, I don't know about you, but the most expensive component of each Disney day for my family (between tickets, food and hotel) is typically the hotel. If I'm going to spend that money per night, I want to have as much of preceding day on-site as I can, to get the most bang for my buck.

Upvote 0

JohnD

You're travelling to WDW. What's $50 more? You can be at your resort by noon and in the parks by mid-afternoon.

Upvote 0
What is your Disney parks ticket situation. The reason to come in at 10am is to get more time at parks. So you would have to pay for another day. If you come in at 7pm there is very little reason to go to park that day. So you do not have to pay for that day.
You're travelling to WDW. What's $50 more? You can be at your resort by noon and in the parks by mid-afternoon.
1) $50 more is NOT the total cost of leaving early. You have to add in the costs involved in getting to a park at least a half day early plus food, drink, trinkets, etc. I can see that $50 higher cost exploding to $500 if you're not careful.
2) As a retired airline pilot, I can tell you that flights DO NOT GET earlier as the day progresses, only later. Weather is the biggest factor followed by maintenance issues, neither of which get better as the day progresses. Towards the end of a day with delays mounting up, the risk of the crew "timing out" becomes a factor also.
3) Sounds like Southwest made your choice for you.

Upvote 0

JohnD

1) $50 more is NOT the total cost of leaving early. You have to add in the costs involved in getting to a park at least a half day early plus food, drink, trinkets, etc. I can see that $50 higher cost exploding to $500 if you're not careful.
2) As a retired airline pilot, I can tell you that flights DO NOT GET earlier as the day progresses, only later. Weather is the biggest factor followed by maintenance issues, neither of which get better as the day progresses. Towards the end of a day with delays mounting up, the risk of the crew "timing out" becomes a factor also.
3) Sounds like Southwest made your choice for you.

Thank you for making my point. You’re traveling to WDW where you’re likely to spend $X,XXX. What’s another $50?

Upvote 0

Tinkerfan4ever

What we do when we fly in with a situation like this.... We look at flights the day before. If they have the 7pm flight the day before, take that. Use the savings to stay at a less expensive hotel for the night. This way you wake up the next day and have a full day of Disney ahead of you and you will have gotten a decent night sleep. It is cost neutral (pay more for the earlier flight the next day, or pay less for this flight, but have the extra hotel expense) but it gets us to Disney earlier. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom