FL toll roads question

GuyFawkes

Original Poster
I was in FL a few weeks ago and the pay by picture caught up to me.

What's the deal with two bills? Aren't all the FL toll roads under the same organization?

I got one bill from Central FL Expressway Authority and one from FDOT.

Just wondering why that is? One bill is for around Orlando and the other I think is for the road down to the Cape?

I ask because I'm wondering if one pass would cover the whole state and if so which one. Seems to be many options. Epass, Sun Pass etc.

some other guy

What's the deal with two bills? Aren't all the FL toll roads under the same organization?

Just wondering why that is? One bill is for around Orlando and the other I think is for the road down to the Cape?

I ask because I'm wondering if one pass would cover the whole state and if so which one. Seems to be many options. Epass, Sun Pass etc.
iirc they all work everywhere in the state, and there's some odds and ends about usage where one might settle out to save you a few bucks or something depending on your travel patterns
no clue which does what better but the info might be out there if you're concerned

JoeCamel

The roads are owned by two different authorities that work together for pass billing but for plate billing they do their own.
Sun pass or Epass work the same and are almost universally accepted in Florida except for a couple of small private roads.

lazyboy97o

To expand on what @JoeCamel said, it’s basically state highways versus county highways even though they’re all designated as state highways. The Central Florida Expressway Authority is a joint effort between Orange, Lake, Seminole, Osceola and Brevard Counties that replaced a group that was limited to Orange County and still hasn’t really expanded beyond Orange County which is why their bill was limited to the area around Orlando. Because of this you get the weird situation where FL-417 and FL-528 Beachline (the highway you took to the Cape) cross jurisdictions. The Beachline is really weird as its ends are the state but the middle from about the airport to the county line are CFX.

It basically comes down to who paid for the road, the state or local.

Rob562

You can also look into an EZ Pass from a non-Florida toll authority, as it's now (finally) accepted across all of them. (I'm not sure which Florida toll pass options are accepted on roads outside Florida)

If you're looking for an EZ Pass option that doesn't charge fees for the transponder or non-usage fees, look into Massachusetts. You may have to jump through a hoop like mailing in a paper application rather than doing it online, but they'll issue them to non-Massachusetts residents. (My sister in Virginia did that)

-Rob

GuyFawkes

Original Poster
Okay, thanks for the replies.

I'm not in Florida enough to worry about it but my friends moved to some place I can't pronounce right which means I didn't know how to take non toll routes. My GPS always sticks me on the major roads.

JoeCamel

Okay, thanks for the replies.

I'm not in Florida enough to worry about it but my friends moved to some place I can't pronounce right which means I didn't know how to take non toll routes. My GPS always sticks me on the major roads.
Google maps you can ask to avoid toll roads

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom