Five adults And A Child in AOA Family Suite?

Vaughn4380

Original Poster
So my Mom booked a single family suite at the AOA for our upcoming Christmas trip. Originally, my wife and I agreed to attend this trip with the understanding that we (wife, myself, and our two year old daughter) would have our own room and my parents and sister would have another room to themselves (thus three to a room). All parties agreed that POFQ was to be the hotel. Mom offered to book the two rooms and we would just pay her back.

Well we just found out my Mom booked one family suite at AOA for all six of us instead. She felt we might want to save money by splitting the costs. Looking at room layouts online it looks like this is going to be a cramped situation. At this point we are thinking about backing out. In my older years, with a two-year old kiddo, I prefer to have my own room. Additionally, we like to hang out at the resort and a decent bar area is important to us, which AOA does not have. We also prefer quiet grounds for late night walks and I am having doubts about the AOA being quiet.

The biggest concern I have, is five adults and a kid sharing a single room. Anyone spent any time in these rooms with five adults? How quiet is the bedroom area if someone else is watching TV in the living area? With a two year old, there is bound to be times Mom and Dad want to watch late night TV and the kiddo will be asleep. Anyone in their 40's share a room with their retired parents before? It kind of feels odd, I haven't shared a room with Mom and Dad on over 20 years.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While you are not really sharing a room, your concerns are valid.

The suites are set up to have a kind of master bedroom and bath and a living room that converts into a bedroom. I would not mind if I had the master bedroom section and the privacy that offers, but I would not be happy in the living room/bedroom combo.

One thing I would look at is the actual price they are paying. Two rooms at a discounted rate at the moderates are often right around the same price as a suite at rack rate at AoA.

Even if they are getting a discount at AoA the difference between the two is often not much.

Weather_Lady

@Master Yoda is wise, and I agree that a friendly but candid discussion about the room situation -- and a request to go back to the original plan -- is a good way to start. If closeness is a priority, connecting rooms at a moderate are the perfect way to allow everyone to mix and mingle when they want (by opening the two connecting doors), and as much privacy as they want the rest of the time. DH and I did this with my parents on a big family trip to WDW, and it worked flawlessly.

If that's not an option and your parents are absolutely committed to AoA, I wouldn't back out of the trip completely -- but yes, by all means get your own room. Just because there are enough sleeping spaces for everyone in an AoA family suite doesn't mean you won't be stepping on each others' toes (literally and figuratively). If an adjoining family suite is not in your budget, consider a Little Mermaid standard room. As far as access to bars (I'm assuming you wouldn't want to be in a different resort from your parents altogether, since presumably they'd be the ones watching the 2-year-old while you're out), there is the Drop Off pool bar onsite at AoA (open until midnight or so), or you could head over to Epcot's World Showcase, or the Nomad Lounge at Animal Kingdom, etc.

Last edited:

G8rchamps

We stayed there last year with a family of 4 (kids were 8 and 11). The master suite area is nice and quiet with the door closed. Who get the sofa bed and who gets the dining room table fold down/murphy style bed? It will certainly be close quarters - how many nights....You should have her check into other options.

CaptainAmerica

I've done six adults (me, wife, mom, dad, sister one, sister two) for nine(!) nights. It was cramped and we only needed the three beds. It sounds like you'd need three beds plus a pack n play for the toddler, which is going to be extra tight. I'd push for two separate rooms but if you get serious family resistance, don't cancel the trip over this.

Vaughn4380

Original Poster
Good questions everyone, I do know Mom shopped rates using her AP discounts (which we also have but haven't looked up rooms for this trip yet). Sleeping arrangements have not been finalized but I am not really wanting to sleep in the pull out. Money is not an issue here as we were initially planning on our own Moderate level room (I assume the other parties are in the same position). Not sure why Mom started worrying about money, I will have to ask.

CaptainAmerica

Good questions everyone, I do know Mom shopped rates using her AP discounts (which we also have but haven't looked up rooms for this trip yet). Sleeping arrangements have not been finalized but I am not really wanting to sleep in the pull out.
The pull out and fold-down beds are actually quite comfortable IMO. I'm a bigger guy (my wife is petite) and we slept on them with no discomfort.

Money is not an issue here as we were initially planning on our own Moderate level room (I assume the other parties are in the same position). Not sure why Mom started worrying about money, I will have to ask.
This isn't really related to your main question, but it's the biggest piece of advice I can give when you're planning a vacation with another party. Make sure everyone is absolutely 100% open about their financial expectations before and during the trip. There's nothing worse than being pressured into spending money that you didn't plan on spending or being paranoid that you might be doing something like that to a family member.

J_Krafty24

There is no way i would share a room like that with my parents. I would insist on seperate rooms with private space. While a moderate resort may be preferred if money is an issue then go with two seperate rooms at all-star or pop century. Two standard rooms at a value resort will be cheaper than a suite, will provide real beds for everyone and will give much needed privacy and time apart.

jaklgreen

There is no way i would share a room like that with my parents. I would insist on seperate rooms with private space. While a moderate resort may be preferred if money is an issue then go with two seperate rooms at all-star or pop century. Two standard rooms at a value resort will be cheaper than a suite, will provide real beds for everyone and will give much needed privacy and time apart.

I am with you on this. No way in the world would I share with my parents. I want my own privacy and do not want to walk out of the shower in my towel with my dad being right there(and I am sure your wife would not want that either). I would insist on getting your own room.

Stayed in one last year. My mom and dad, wife and two kids. Wasn't a bad time. Parents got the master suite, while me and my wife and kids got the rest of the room. We had our own bathrooms so privacy wasn't much of an issue. Also when we were getting ready in the morning, my parents had the decency of asking if everyone was clothed before coming out of the room. Also took a couple walks at night and it was pretty quiet and nice. I really liked the bridge between AoA and Pop Century, more to explore! Also from the right spot, we could see fireworks from epcot and Hollywood.

jaklgreen

Stayed in one last year. My mom and dad, wife and two kids. Wasn't a bad time. Parents got the master suite, while me and my wife and kids got the rest of the room. We had our own bathrooms so privacy wasn't much of an issue. Also when we were getting ready in the morning, my parents had the decency of asking if everyone was clothed before coming out of the room. Also took a couple walks at night and it was pretty quiet and nice. I really liked the bridge between AoA and Pop Century, more to explore! Also from the right spot, we could see fireworks from epcot and Hollywood.

That is awesome that you guys had a great time. For me, it is more of a mental thing. I am in my 40s and a Mom so now I refuse to be relegated to the kids area and sleep on a fold out couch. We are well established and do the right thing and can afford to go on a Disney vacation. So I feel that I have more then earned the right to be comfortable in a real bed. It is just as easy to get 2 separate rooms IMO.

Vaughn4380

Original Poster
Alright, thanks for the input everyone. We were able to alter the reservations to two rooms at POFQ without anyone getting upset. We did request adjoining rooms, but that will leave both parties with the option to close the door if desired (should the request be granted).

DisneyJoe

Alright, thanks for the input everyone. We were able to alter the reservations to two rooms at POFQ without anyone getting upset. We did request adjoining rooms, but that will leave both parties with the option to close the door if desired (should the request be granted).
If you want a door, you need to request "connecting" rooms, adjoining rooms may just be next to each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom