First trip to Disney (TDL/TDS) - Advice?

TrolleyTroubles

Original Poster
Hi there!

I joined this forum so I could get some more in-depth advice on a trip I am planning. I am currently planning to visit Tokyo Disney in October 2019! I will be visiting for 2-3 days (hoping for at least one day in each park)
My brother lives in Nagoya, along with my sister-in-law, and her family. I will be staying with them, and they'll be coming on the trip, too, along with my nephew (who will be over a year old by then). We have transport and accommodation sorted out, and my sister-in-law and her family are fluent in Japanese, while my brother and I have experience in Japanese language and culture. So all of that is not an issue!

I'm mostly looking for recommendations of where to go/things to see, I will provide a description of why I'm going/the type of person I am, to give some idea of what I'd love to see, but might miss on the Tokyo Disney website!

I'm currently 19, and will be 20 by the time I visit. I have never been to a Disney park, and I have also never been abroad until now! I am from the UK.
Notably, I have autism, and I absolutely ADORE Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Ortensia, as well as Mickey and pals! I am actually mainly going on this trip for Oswald merchandise. I know it's a bit silly, but due to a chronic illness I have, I may never get another chance to go, so I just really want some Oswald memorabilia to be able to keep, while still getting the experience of being here! So the Toontown Gag Shop (TDL) and Steamboat Mickey's (TDS) are absolute musts for me.
I also really want to visit Toontown, in general! I would love to meet Mickey, and Minnie, as well as other Mickey friends. Is there a number one place to meet these guys?
I know that Oswald used to meet at TDL, but I haven't seen any indication of him being there in years, so I'm obviously not counting on that (holding out for DCA someday!) - but I'd love a confirmation of what happened there?

As for other stuff - I'm not a huge rides person, but I wouldn't mind a few! I'm not typically into thrill rides, though. I enjoy food a fair bit, though I'd likely only get to visit one reservation restaurant, if any, so maybe counter service/walk-in tables is more ideal - are there any rides/restaurants that you'd recommend as a must-do?

Some extra questions; 1) Does TDL do anything for the Halloween season? and 2) I see Japanese folk I follow on Twitter post meets with José Carioca and Panchito a decent bit, but I'm not sure if this is in TDL/TDS or another SEA park? I assume if they do show up, it's a spontaneous greeting? Has anyone seen them in TDL/TDS?
And of course, if anyone has any general tips/advice for visiting a Disney park, whether it's Tokyo Disney or not, I'd love to hear!

Thank you for any input! Have a lovely day!

GiveMeTheMusic

Hi there!

I joined this forum so I could get some more in-depth advice on a trip I am planning. I am currently planning to visit Tokyo Disney in October 2019! I will be visiting for 2-3 days (hoping for at least one day in each park)
My brother lives in Nagoya, along with my sister-in-law, and her family. I will be staying with them, and they'll be coming on the trip, too, along with my nephew (who will be over a year old by then). We have transport and accommodation sorted out, and my sister-in-law and her family are fluent in Japanese, while my brother and I have experience in Japanese language and culture. So all of that is not an issue!

I'm mostly looking for recommendations of where to go/things to see, I will provide a description of why I'm going/the type of person I am, to give some idea of what I'd love to see, but might miss on the Tokyo Disney website!

I'm currently 19, and will be 20 by the time I visit. I have never been to a Disney park, and I have also never been abroad until now! I am from the UK.
Notably, I have autism, and I absolutely ADORE Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, Ortensia, as well as Mickey and pals! I am actually mainly going on this trip for Oswald merchandise. I know it's a bit silly, but due to a chronic illness I have, I may never get another chance to go, so I just really want some Oswald memorabilia to be able to keep, while still getting the experience of being here! So the Toontown Gag Shop (TDL) and Steamboat Mickey's (TDS) are absolute musts for me.
I also really want to visit Toontown, in general! I would love to meet Mickey, and Minnie, as well as other Mickey friends. Is there a number one place to meet these guys?
I know that Oswald used to meet at TDL, but I haven't seen any indication of him being there in years, so I'm obviously not counting on that (holding out for DCA someday!) - but I'd love a confirmation of what happened there?

As for other stuff - I'm not a huge rides person, but I wouldn't mind a few! I'm not typically into thrill rides, though. I enjoy food a fair bit, though I'd likely only get to visit one reservation restaurant, if any, so maybe counter service/walk-in tables is more ideal - are there any rides/restaurants that you'd recommend as a must-do?

Some extra questions; 1) Does TDL do anything for the Halloween season? and 2) I see Japanese folk I follow on Twitter post meets with José Carioca and Panchito a decent bit, but I'm not sure if this is in TDL/TDS or another SEA park? I assume if they do show up, it's a spontaneous greeting? Has anyone seen them in TDL/TDS?
And of course, if anyone has any general tips/advice for visiting a Disney park, whether it's Tokyo Disney or not, I'd love to hear!

Thank you for any input! Have a lovely day!

Oswald used to meet in TDS, he doesn't anymore. There is still merch.

In Toontown, Mickey is in his house. There's usually a long line to meet him. The others wander Toontown during the day in special outfits unique to TDL's Toontown.

Don't miss eating at Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall (TDL) and Magellan's (TDS).

Rides to not miss: Pooh's Hunny Hunt (TDL), Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek (TDL), Sindbad (TDS), Journey to the Center of the Earth (TDS, thrill ride), 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (TDS).

Shows and parades at TDR are unbelievable. Don't miss Dreaming Up (day parade, TDL) and Dreamlights (night parade, TDL). The Halloween harbor show at TDS is fantastic. Mermaid Lagoon Theater (TDS) is amazing. Big Band Beat (TDS) is one of the best theme park shows in the world.

Halloween is a huge event at TDR. Special shows, parades, decor, food and merchandise in both parks.

Jose and Panchito are found daily wandering the Lost River Delta area in TDS.

Have a great time!

fradz

I would add to the list of rides to not miss Splash Mountain (TDL) and Indiana Jones (TDS).

FYI, Oswald sometimes is in DLP, on special occasions.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I will add your in luck with food. Tokyo Disney has some of the best cart/quick service food I've ever had in a park and I enjoyed almost everything I had. It depends on what type of food do you like? I think the most memorable quick food items I had were a Fried Chicken Waffle Sandwich, Pork Rice Roll, a Smoke Chicken Leg, Little Green Men Dumplings, and the Deep Seas Pineapple Smoothie. I should note that it's not uncommon for food stands to have a line, but they usually move quick. Also they will be doing a lot of seasonal food for the Halloween Holiday.

I will second the post above about Halloween. The celebrations are amazing. They have special parades and shows just for the season. They also sell special food for the season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom